Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

TD17 Question about Dual Kickdrums (KD 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD17 Question about Dual Kickdrums (KD 10)

Hi I am new here so I hope I don't get hammered too bad for my question. I saw threads asking about this but not for dual kickdrums so.....

I recently got a TD-17 KVX kit and have never liked double kick pedals so I acquired a second KD 10 E kickdrum (I have always used 2 bassdrum pedals on all my acoustic kits over the years). I wanted to use the extra input on the TD-17 module for a third upper tom so I wondered if a Y cable would work for my dual kickdrum setup? If not I will be using the extra input on the TD-17 module for the second kick.

I have been playing since '81 but this is my first E kit. I did have a DTXtreme module years ago but I am really a total E drum noob. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    E kit- Roland TD17 KVX, Axis A Longboard kickdrum pedals X 2, KD 10 kick pads X 2, DW 9000 remote hi hat, Roc n soc Nitro throne
    Acoustic kit- 8 piece Mapex Saturn Silver badge kit, 8,10,12,14,16,22 x 2 w/ 14” Brady Jarrah block snare, Zildjian K dark and Zildjian K Hybrids

congrats.. with 2 the same e-pedals, a mono to 2 mono split should work in the bass drum input..

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
      congrats.. with 2 the same e-pedals, a mono to 2 mono split should work in the bass drum input..
      would it not work if you had 2 different bass triggers?
      purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

if the dynamic behaviour/ signal is similar of both kick pads .. if you had one hotter piezo (than the other) than not as good..
        (in my opinion)

Comment

If you use two kick triggers, each into their own input, surely you can adjust each of the trigger settings to match each other.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the TD-17 so I might be talking crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
            if the dynamic behaviour/ signal is similar of both kick pads .. if you had one hotter piezo (than the other) than not as good..
            (in my opinion)
            in terms of accuracy of triggering/performance or is it an issue for the module?
            purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbydawn View Post
              I saw threads asking about this but not for dual kickdrums so.....
              I wondered if a Y cable would work for my dual kickdrum setup? If not I will be using the extra input on the TD-17 module for the second kick.
              sure .. i was answering this .. i used 2 kd-7's for a long time .. and that's the same triggers and a splitter ..
              in one input (the same) you need the same dynamic signals (for best results).. it's 1 trigger setting.. with mono..
              i don't know if the kick plug on the cable is stereo.. but i still would use 2 the same pedals..
              Last edited by Ericdrumz; 02-07-20, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses fellas. I will give it a try. I went with a stereo Y so I will need the mono (like ericdrumz mentioned). Y splitter was pretty cheap so no biggie.

I had no clue I just guessed stereo thinking the TD-17 might have a softer and a harder kick sound depending how hard you played the bass drum pedal.
                E kit- Roland TD17 KVX, Axis A Longboard kickdrum pedals X 2, KD 10 kick pads X 2, DW 9000 remote hi hat, Roc n soc Nitro throne
                Acoustic kit- 8 piece Mapex Saturn Silver badge kit, 8,10,12,14,16,22 x 2 w/ 14” Brady Jarrah block snare, Zildjian K dark and Zildjian K Hybrids

Comment

I decided to look at the ad page for the Roland KD 10 kickdrum at the place that gives candy with your order .

I noticed it comes with a cable and it has two rings around it
                  (2 rings indicates a stereo cable right?)

Like I mentioned- I have very little E drum experience/knowledge so perhaps I am incorrect as far as E drum connections go.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help

Comment

Comment

Above is a pic of the cable that comes with the KD10

Roland E kick drum

Comment

Roland kick input usually dual zone but kd10 is a single zone. I think you can use split 1 stereo into 2 mono and use 2 kd10s. Try that.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                          Roland kick input usually dual zone but kd10 is a single zone. I think you can use split 1 stereo into 2 mono and use 2 kd10s. Try that.
                          Thanks

Comment

i don't see why it would be dual zone, when all sounds are listed 'head' only (for kick) ?
                            multicore cable ('kik' or 'kd') plug looks mono to me https://img.imuso.co.uk/imusouk/prod...re-1-44933.jpg > but i can always be wrong..

Comment

Just checked my KD-10:
                              The connector from the TD-17's multicore cable snake to the Kick drum is mono
                              Kit: Roland TD-17 KVX
                              Hi-Hat stand: Roland RDH-120
                              Pedal: Roland RDH-102

Comment

Working...
                              X