Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

MIDI control of TD 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI control of TD 12

I'm trying to determine if there is a way to control volume and pan on the instruments individually or the groups on a Roland TD 12. Rolands MIDI implementation page in the manual is not very helpful, although it does seem to show support for control volume and pan in some fashion according to the implementation chart.. It does not appear that the group sliders on the TD 12 unit itself are sending any MIDI information so I doubt that the groups are supported in that fashion. However, what I really want to do is control the pan and volume of the individual instruments within the kit from my Daw or an external controller by sending a standard or nonstandard (sysex) MIDI message. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

I remember my old Roland u220 module used to send sysex when you pressed the buttons. I’ve never tried on the drum modules. Most DAWs would probably have sysex disabled in the midi settings. I’ll have to take a look
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I'm using Reaper, I can send/rcv any kind of MIDI msg... The issue is whether or not there is a msg that the TD-12 can receive to control the volume/pan of the internal mixer.

Comment

What I meant was if it sends sysex you can send it back but I don’t think daws have a method of doing this now. When I used mixer maps in Cubase they could learn sysex and then send it back with a slider or knob.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Sending sysex is no problem. But the unit itself does not send/transmit the data so I don't know what it is, assuming the unit would respond to it anyway. The chart claims to support volume/pan but no further specification is given. I need to know how to frame a MIDI msg that controls the volume pan of the individual instruments (triggers) in the TD-12 so I can mix from the DAW box after tracking.

For example, standard MIDI uses 7 for volume assignments, but this is usually target per channel. Each trigger would have to be on a separate channel. Multiple TD-12s in use so likely need a device ID as well.

The likely answer is I'm dreaming.
          Last edited by Steviebone; 02-06-20, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X