Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD17 (kvx) midi connect to TD4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD17 (kvx) midi connect to TD4?

Just to be sure before i do this. Can i hook the TD17 up to the TD4, then use all the TD17 sounds like this video shows which is older and does not show the TD17 at all..

Is it this same procedure? And or is there a guide for this somewhere that explains it more in depth as well??

Thanks all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERJfHPdpmnQ

both TD-4 and TD-17 dont have MIDI in so i don't think you can hook up and use TD-17 sounds via your TD-4

Comment

Well i see both units have Midi capability... They are out only? I see in the demo video that they just connect the two midi on both units that none show that ive seen, two separate in and out midi. Confused.... anyhow. Td17 and Td4 both have a single midi port as i just rechecked.

Comment

Here i see midi connecting to other units.. so i assume its gonna work? gulp...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nope. No MIDI IN.
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Both modules have MIDI out, though, so either one could be used to trigger a VST if you wanted to go that route.

Comment

Thanks all, so I am looking into a TD 12 or others that will work with what i have... ill have to read up, got the td 4 kit with the upgraded pads and cymbal boom stands for 250, cant complain, it works if i run sounds from TD4, just not as nice cymbals samples. Maybe try the midi trigger route as well... thanks again

Comment

Okay, so if i get a used TD-12, I could use the TD-17 or TD-4 with it and then use all the TD12 sounds and as well some of the TD17 or just only TD12, then also, will it even work like that? As i could maybe sell the TD-17 and buy the TD-12 and use it with theTD-4 using gall the TD-12 sounds, they are nice. Have to research it to see if TD-12 allows user sounds as well. I have huge collection of real cymbal samples.

=)

New to this, obviously.
                Last edited by SilverSteelFox; 01-23-20, 05:15 PM.

Comment

TD-12 have internal sounds 'fixed' . you cannot upload any user sounds into TD-12 module but you can use VEX packs for TD-12 to make it sound ... better

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSteelFox View Post
                    Okay, so if i get a used TD-12, I could use the TD-17 or TD-4 with it and then use all the TD12 sounds and as well some of the TD17 or just only TD12, then also, will it even work like that? As i could maybe sell the TD-17 and buy the TD-12 and use it with theTD-4 using gall the TD-12 sounds, they are nice. Have to research it to see if TD-12 allows user sounds as well. I have huge collection of real cymbal samples.

=)

New to this, obviously.
                    if you have "huge collection of real cymbal samples", if they are single shot sample then you should buy other module like TD-12, TD-50 if you want to stick with Roland or go with Pearl Mimic Pro. if you want cheap solution then Roland TM-2 you can split the 2 trigger inputs into 4 single pads and load your single shot cymbal samples.

Comment

Thanks again, and Im looking at the TD-10 now, it has a card slot, but all i see so far is that its for saving sets, Assuming it can not use any user sounds? Though I can make the kit trigger sounds through FLstudio, I guess its best to copy the sounds to the pc and midi/usb it. Yet the TD4 and TD17 would both need midi in and i only have one. I am very thankful for all the responses. Im also weary about used units unless they are just stupid cheap.. haha... Electronics.... so many things can be wrong and not know when first received. If the TD-10 can use some user sounds that would be nice. Then that last question. Td-12 and Td-10 should be able to run with the new td17? master td10/12 and then slave the 17... Right? Seems possible from wht i see, just wanting to be sure. User sounds issue would be more possible to use with the PC and midi, yet here i would need both modules to connect...

Thanks

Comment

The td10 is really old now and it can’t load new sounds. To be clear the only rolands that can import samples are the td50 td27 and td17 which are all the latest lines. All other rolands can not import sounds. As far as connecting it would be the midi out of the td17 into the midi in of the td12/10. Because the td12/10 does not have usb midi you would have to have a midi interface or audio interface with midi. The td12 can do midi through if you want to trigger a vst and have more inputs. To be honest if it is only for a vst then you would be better with a little trigger unit edrummin all the modules you mention except the td17 are now really old and suffer from screen problems and maybe other issues.
                        Last edited by mkok; 01-24-20, 10:25 AM.
                        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                        X