Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ATV Cymbals - Edge Triggering w/ Mimic Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV Cymbals - Edge Triggering w/ Mimic Pro

Any help with troubleshooting is greatly appreciated!

I have had my ATV crash, ride and hats for about a year, but have had consistent problems with the edge triggering. Currently, all three cymbals will not register any signal in the trigger setup panel for the edge zone. Since the edge triggering isn't working, the choke function also isn't working. I have switch cables and reworked routing within the module in a variety of ways to determine if the cymbal hardware has failed. It appears to be a hardware issue, but it seems incredibly unlikely that all three cymbals would fail in the same way.

I have contacted ATV and Pearl Mimic support and they are will to replace the units, but I don't want to ship them off if there is something I have missed.

Has anyone had experience with this issue and/or have any specific way I cant test the edge triggers to confirm whether they are in fact not functioning?

Thanks for your help!
    Jon

So you tried to connect cymbals to every mimic input and all of these are not working?
    All I can say is that it's is highly unlikely to such type of malfunction on a drum module.

are you sure it's not that issue? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLM4aKrdVW8&t=193s

Comment

Edge sensor on cymbals is a plain switch.
      There is no any settings or dials for it.
      All you need is to connect your cymbal to your module correctly (use TRS (stereo) cable, and use correct input on the cymbal), and select proper preset for your pad on a drum module. That's all.

Comment

You need to have the latest firmware v1.9.0.2, check version in mimic at setting\sys, bottom right someone lately was using v1.0.4 and had same issue, resolved with newer firmware.

Like Mr.Boo said.
        -You need TRS cable not TS.
        -Use cy14 preset for crash, cy15 for ride
        -Make sure you plugs cable on edge not cup input on atv cymbal.

I doubt it's the module more firmware\cable.
        Last edited by Chris K; 12-17-19, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I feel like I am chasing my tail...
          - All cables are TRS (Roland MDS-25 16x Cable Snake) and I have switched them out to test and ensure it isn't a faulty cable or bad connection.
          - The Firmware is updated to v1.9.0.2
          - I am using the cy14 and cy15 trigger presets and the crash is plugged from the edge input to CR1.

I have a Drumtec snare and have swapped the crash with the snare. When the drumtec snare is plugged into the crash input, striking the rim will not trigger the edge. When the crash is plugged into the snare input, it also will not trigger the rim. I can cause the edge to trigger by pulling the 1/4" TRS out of the cymbal, so I know that the modules will produce the sound, but isn't being triggered when the cymbal is connected...

If only one cymbal had this issue, I wouldn't assume it was a broken edge trigger, but with all 3 that seems unlikely

Comment

your snare and cymbal has different type edge triggers, your experiment can't show anything.
            If you connect cymbal to snare input - you have to select cymbal preset for snare input.
            If you connect snare to cymbal input - you have to select snare preset for cymbal input.

the only way to check cymbal is to get ohmmeter and check the resistance between ring and sleeve contacts on your TRS cable connected to Cymbal edge input.

PS if you can trigger cymbal edge with disconnecting the jack, then I believe it's obvious that mimic is working ok.

Comment

Thanks,

I made used my Drumtec snare and made sure that the trigger preset was correct. I confirmed that the HiHat, Crash, and Ride will trigger the edge correctly using the rim of the snare, but that none of them will work correctly when plugged into the edge of each cymbal.

It seems that all three cymbals have either failed at the edge trigger or the input of the cymbal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlowder View Post
                Thanks,

I made used my Drumtec snare and made sure that the trigger preset was correct. I confirmed that the HiHat, Crash, and Ride will trigger the edge correctly using the rim of the snare, but that none of them will work correctly when plugged into the edge of each cymbal.

It seems that all three cymbals have either failed at the edge trigger or the input of the cymbal.
                Can you please try to connect the cable to the BELL input on the cymbals (no the edge) - will you be able to trigger edge sounds hitting the bell of the cymbal? (with roland cy14 preset selected on the mimic)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

Can you please try to connect the cable to the BELL input on the cymbals (no the edge) - will you be able to trigger edge sounds hitting the bell of the cymbal? (with roland cy14 preset selected on the mimic)
                  Yes, I can use the bell to trigger the edge when I change the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlowder View Post

Yes, I can use the bell to trigger the edge when I change the input.
                    Then I believe both cables and mimic are ok. It's something with edge switch on your cymbals as mimic does not "know" if it's the edge or bell is connected to it.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have eliminated every other possibility that I can think of.

Comment

Are you only using the cables from the Mds25? Some people had problems with those cables.

Comment

Yes, I am using the MDS25 cable set. I have tested the cymbals with others try cables and inputs, so I don't believe it is the cable in this case. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X