Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDrumIn, let's talk about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's another "eDRUMin" feature I forgot and worth to mention: This is the only trigger device that makes Cym Choke in AbletonLive DrumRack/Sampler possible (without using additional third-party-supplier software) This is because AL ignores PoyPressure messages and Rob implemented a remapping-feature (to noteON message) within the eDRUMin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
      - Disadvantage using the "CC only with Hit" through DIN-Midi connection will be losing 1ms regarding the hit (because every midi event needs about 1ms and is delivered serially).
      Related to "CC only with Hit": it would be nice to know the internal (eDRUMin engine) delay time of the note event after the CC event. Rob, can you answer this?

Ribot and I will soon come up with an exact and detailed module latency test. Maybe this will also be able to tell about the delay time.

And the same delay time of an ATV module (which is always introducing it) will also be interesting.:
      Originally posted by Nick74 View Post
      BTW the ATV aD5 (maybe also the xD3) module generally sends "CC only with Hit" only.
      Last edited by Nick74; 01-10-21, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Related to "CC only with Hit": it would be nice to know the internal (eDRUMin engine) delay time of the note event after the CC event. Rob, can you answer this?

Ribot and I will soon come up with an exact and detailed module latency test. Maybe this will also be able to tell about the delay time.

And the same delay time of an ATV module (which is always introducing it) will also be interesting.:
        Rob is probably using rawhid on the teensy which sends out a package once every millisecond over USB however it sends out a large chunk of data so probably sends both CC and note at once. I don't know how he's set it up though.

Comment

• Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
          so probably sends both CC and note at once.
          The CC has to be chronologically sent before the noteOn event (otherwise the "Variable Hihat" would not know the current pedal position).

Comment

• Hey guys I'm thinking to get a EDrumIn, but I want to be sure I'm doing the right choice.
            The 10 triggers is the one that will fit my set. I play with Acoustic Drums triggered from DDrums and Roland triggers, Alesis Cymbals and Alesis Hi Hat.
            I currently have everything hooked up with 2 Trigger I/O modules and I use SD3.
            If I get the EDrumIn can I still use, at least one Trigger I/O? I'm currently using 16 triggers and just the EDrumIn wouldn't be enough for me.
            If so, how am I going to connect Trigger I/O, EDrumIn in my PC and be sure SD3 sees both modules?
            Thanks

Comment

• Depending on your pads and requirements, each of the 10 inputs are splittable, so could potentially give you 20 inputs at 2zones each. If you have 3-zone pads, they need a full input.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

• Besides the classic toms, snare and kick,( each one triggered with ddrums and roland triggers ) I only have a bunch of cymbals and a bell. Cymbals are all two zones, and the only part I use with double triggering is the snare for headshot and rimshot. So are you saying that with this configuration would be enough with just a single EDrumIn 10 ? Thanks
                Last edited by Barge; 01-11-21, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barge View Post
                  Besides the classic toms, snare and kick,( each one triggered with ddrums and roland triggers ) I only have a bunch of cymbals and a bell. Cymbals are all two zones, and the only part I use with double triggering is the snare for headshot and rimshot. So are you saying that with this configuration would be enough with just a single EDrumIn 10 ? Thanks
                  One eDRUMin 10 gives you 10 individual stereo inputs. Each of those 10 inputs can be split into 20 "single zone" inputs. HOWEVER, each single zone input can provide two different sounds by using "edge sense". You probably need a single stereo input for your snare for head, rim, and rimshot. But for your toms and most of your cymbals (maybe not your ride, depending on whether you want bow, edge and bell) you could still get two sounds from a single split input.

If you have a ride cymbal and want edge, bow and bell, that uses one complete stereo input.
                  Your snare probably uses one complete stereo input, so that's a second input.

AT that point you have eight stereo inputs left over. You can split each one of those for a total 16 different sounds.

So, yes, for your setup, I believe you need just one eDRUMin 10.

Hope this helps.

ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Yes that helps a lot, thank you very much jpsquared482

Comment

• Also you can plug both via usb into your computer. SD3 will take input from more than one device so it doesn’t matter if they are not the same device. I used to use a midi in and an IO years ago with sd2. A DAW can also do the same. I know there is talk of Alesis bad latency but it wasn’t something I noticed. I found I used the Alesis for one shot samples only as it’s triggering wasn’t that good. I use a td30 these days but the edrumin 10 sounds a great product and will suit you.
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

The CC has to be chronologically sent before the noteOn event (otherwise the "Variable Hihat" would not know the current pedal position).
                        The code is sent sequentially so the CC comes before as it's read by the DAW.

Again I don't know how rob does it but I send the CC and and the other stuff at once on my own teensy based electronic drum and it works as it should (I've only tried with superior drummer in Cubase but I suppose it should work with other stuff as well). Remember the code is read sequentially so it works as long as the package sent can hold the info. With a MIDI cable you have to wait for the next package so to speak as it can't send enough data at once.

However if you are referring to the hihat transmuting problem then I don't know how long he delays it.
                        Last edited by frankzappa; 01-11-21, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frankzappa View Post

The code is sent sequentially so the CC comes before as it's read by the DAW.
                          Yes, this makes sense. The question then is: Is the sequence/package the 1ms thing you mentioned? If yes, you will also lose 1ms on the hihat sound from the pad hits through USB midi (and not only through DIN5pin).

Comment

Yes, this makes sense. The question then is: Is the sequence/package the 1ms thing you mentioned? If yes, you will also lose 1ms on the hihat sound from the pad hits through USB midi (and not only through DIN5pin).
                            I'm not using rawhid, I'm just sending at regular USB2 interval of 0.125ms however a MIDI message is tiny and you should be able to fit a few of them in every package when sending with USB. However I didn't program the MIDI library and haven't really checked what goes inside. I just use a "send now" function after writing first CC and then the rest so it should send it in the same package. My program gets delayed about 2 microseconds after sending that part of the code but I think it fills a buffer and then waits unless you use the send now function.

Comment

• eDRUMin 1.4 Beta has dropped. Visit the AudioFront eDRUMin forum for the latest. Lots of great new features... independent velocity curves for each articulation... yeah baby yeah!
                              PDP Concept Maple A2E; Bum Wraps; Pearl Crystal Beat Octobans; Jobeky AI triggers; drum-tec Real Feel and Billy Blast Ballistech 3.0 mesh heads; ATV cymbals; Gibralter hardware; Offset double pedal; DW Remote hi-hat stands; NUX NMP-2 Dual Footswitch; 2 eDRUMin10; Alesis Strike Amp 8; Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen; Intel NUC with Windows 10 Pro; SD3

Comment

• Originally posted by Mylo View Post
                                eDRUMin 1.4 Beta has dropped. Visit the AudioFront eDRUMin forum for the latest. Lots of great new features... independent velocity curves for each articulation... yeah baby yeah!
                                Wow. Just WOW!
                                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X