Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Mimic Pro & Blown Alesis Strike 12 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro & Blown Alesis Strike 12 amp

Hello,
    Newbie to the forum, thanks for allowing me to join.

Ok I recently got my Mimic Pro and connected it to my mix desk and Alesis Strike 12 amps, sounded great. However while fiddling somehow I managed to (while playing a backing track) my mix faders were all set to off or sliders down but for a split few seconds I inadvertently did something on my mimic and the sound just went through the roof and the mixing desk maxed out (even though the sliders were all the way off the lights went straight to red, and now the speakers wont work (only the tweeter). I have since been told the woofers are ok, after a simple test, but inside the electronics of the alesis it is now made the woofer not work. (will be getting the ams repaired)

What I'm asking is (as I don't want to blow the amps again once repaired any ideas how I managed to do this? (apart from my bieng an idiot)
    Thanks in advance

What mix desk are we talking about? With a DAW, or just an external mixer for practice and mixing in other sources? We need more clarification of your overall sound setup. We also need to rule out you inadvertently turned any phantom power on at the desk. What cables and interface are you using?

If you can share some screen shots of your Mimic mixer settings (faders), maybe we can see something obvious. As many photos as you can share, the better!

Ultimately, this is NOT a reason to dump the Mimic. (referencing your YouTube comment) This is HIGHLY likely a simple user error. You could do this with ANY module.

At first, this sounded like you are attempting to send the HP out to the speakers. Additionally, you may have the HP boost set on in the Mimic. (unlikely) That's a HUGE no-no. You should be sending from the Master Outs L/R.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Hi Thanks for the quick reply Alan much appreciated.

I'm using just a normal analog mixing desk, and going to two Alesis Strike 12 amps in Stereo, desk stereo out to left speaker and other to right speaker And left L/R out from Mimis to L/R stereo in on the desk.I don't use DAW or have an interface. I use ALL TRS cables. Phantom Power button is disabled (see black pot covering it) I know is definitely off.

I did notice I had HP Boost on but cant for the life remember if it was on at the time the sound went through the roof. I do remember it was the Mimic pro player I was using when it happened (playing an mp3 track as I had to hit the stop button pretty quick. After that I noticed that the speakers were not working properly.

I have attached the settings of the Mimic and the mixing desk was all flat (volume wise and the Alesis Strike amps were at 5 half power.

Thanks again for your help.
      Regards

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by gavlar View Post

I did notice I had HP Boost on but cant for the life remember if it was on at the time the sound went through the roof. I do remember it was the Mimic pro player I was using when it happened (playing an mp3 track as I had to hit the stop button pretty quick. After that I noticed that the speakers were not working properly.
              Read page 75 on the manual http://pearl-electronics-support.com...l_v1.0.9-1.pdf. Be aware for song, they can be loud from original source some are less louder. Set the player volume to lower. Also don't set the Alesis amp at full volume, that will make the amp vulnerable on any uneven volume peak, where was the volume of the alesis amp? For song there is a volume for master out, set it to very lower or off for master out, actually set all to very low just in case.

To make sure that would not happens again, set alesis volume to very low, and test everything.

song.jpg
              Last edited by Chris K; 11-24-19, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Thanks Chris,

This is helpful indeed! I set my Alesis amps at 5 (half volume) thinking that would be ok its what I have even practicing out loud volume without headphones.Im pretty sure I had headphone BOOST on at the time as well I see Alan says that's a no no so I wont do that again! I am very nervous about it happening again I had my Roland TD30 3 months no problems what so ever same set up

Thanks for you help!
                Regards
                Gavin

Comment

In TD30 it is much harder to start enabling random option due to the fact that you have to dive deep into the menus to do that.
                  On mimic everything is at your fingers, thus it's reasonable to read what this particular button or slider does before changing it randomly.

PS I'm not sure why do you have to not use the HP boost - unless you somehow managed to connect your mixer/PA to HEADPHONES, but that is strange decision.

Comment

You’re not running headphones to the mixer, so don’t worry about the boost. That’s only for the HP out. I meant “no-no” if you’re sending that to speakers.

Chris made a good mention regarding aux in level, but I don’t see you running anything in. Keep this in mind for the internal player as well. Some files may be as high as -9lufs, while others may be -14 or more. This can make a huge difference in level.

This really sounds like something was changed on the external mixer or input at the speakers. Make sure you’re running all that stuff properly. I’m not familiar with the Alesia, so o cannot make suggestions for what to look for there.
                    Alan
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Can you explain your connection?
                      Yellow cables are going from mimic master out - correct?
                      So where are they going to?

mixer.png

Comment

There are different routings in different pictures. One shows the yellow cables as correct (assumed), and the other does not. We need to see what's going to the Alesis as well. Looks like an accidental mis-plug of the ins or outs. Hard to tell. However, we need to see the Alesis options as well.
                        Alan

Comment

Hi Yes this was not what had happened I just plugged them back in for the photo then realised it was incorrect.... I thought I deleted this photo a red herring apologies....I assure you it wasn't like that when I had the mishap!

Comment

Alan it was the internal player when this happened' I had to quickly press stop on the player when the peak happened. That's the point I don't know how it hit the roof through the mixing desk as all the faders were flat/off and my alesis amps were only on half power set at 5 of 10

Comment

This was the actual scenario when the maxout occured....I know for definate it was like this and the the same for the Mimic outs. I have now taken the alesis amps out of my studio so cant show how they were connected by photo, I'm pretty certain that side of connection was ok
                              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X