Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ATV's cymbals compatibility with TD17 module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV's cymbals compatibility with TD17 module

Hi there,

I have an aD-5 module, and I want to try the TD17 module so I wonder about the compatibility of this module with ATV's cymbals. I have an aD-H14 hi hat, aD-C14 and aD-C16 crashes and a aD-C18 ride, and I really want to be sure that all of my stuff will run smoothly with the TD17, especially the hi-hat which may be tricky because of the optical sensor (but it seems to work great on TD50 module so ..)

As this module seems not to support VH-12 & VH-13, I am a bit worried.

Anyone have successfully tried this ?
    Last edited by DrumatiC; 11-17-19, 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by DrumatiC View Post
    Hi there,

I have an aD-5 module, and I want to try the TD17 module so I wonder about the compatibility of this module with ATV's cymbals. I have an aD-H14 hi hat, aD-C14 and aD-C16 crashes and a aD-C18 ride, and I really want to be sure that all of my stuff will run smoothly with the TD17, especially the hi-hat which may be tricky because of the optical sensor (but it seems to work great on TD50 module so ..)

As this module seems not to support VH-12 & VH-13, I am a bit worried.

Anyone have tried successfully this ?
    I don’t think you should have any problems. Check out this Drum-tec video. aDrum cymbals with TD-17 module. Go to 4:40 for the TD-17 module.

Last edited by Chance27; 11-17-19, 01:54 PM.
    ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Nice, thank you ! I juste sent an email to Drumtec before your reply, so they probably confirm this I have planned to shop from them anyway.
      Last edited by DrumatiC; 11-17-19, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Nice, thank you ! I juste sent an email to Drumtec before your reply, so they probably confirm this I have planned to shop from them anyway.
        If you get the TD-17, let us know how it works out for you.
        ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Sure, I will.

Comment

Response from Drum-tec :

thanks a lot for your mail. The ATV hi-hat and the TD-17 didinīt work really well together. So I wouldnīt recommend it.
            I asked for details :

the main problem with the ATV 14 hi-hat is that you donīt get really closed hi-hat sounds in combination with the TD-17 module.
            So game over

Last edited by DrumatiC; 11-18-19, 07:14 AM.

Comment

What's your main reason for wanting to swap to the TD-17?

Changing the hi-hats out for Rolands could be an option if you are set on that module. I've had the same discussion about ATV Hi-Hats with Drum-tec and the response i got was consistent with yours. How are you liking the ATV cymbals?

Comment

I miss some functionnality like builtin metronome, or the coach and the warmup mode. But it is mainly the ability to have some effects (room mic, reverb), some tuning capabilities, and the quality of the sounds that I wanna try out.

Nervertheless, I am really happy with the aD-5, I just want to try something else by curiosity. But not at the cost of coming back to this awfull VH-11

I really do like ATV's cymbals, they are awesome.

I could order a TD17 and return it if my hi hat doesn't work as expected ...

Comment

If you can return it without too much hassle then go for it, will be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm going to be getting the same cymbals as you but with Roland VH-10 instead of the aD-H14's, so good to hear more positive feedback on ATV cymbals!

Comment

Response from Drum-tec :

I asked for details :

So game over
                    Well that’s disappointing. If it doesn’t work well why the heck are they making a video showing the ATV hats with the TD-17?

Comment

Get the xD3?
                      Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

You could MIDI into the TD17 and layer drums for reverb/room sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                          You could MIDI into the TD17 and layer drums for reverb/room sounds.
                          The aD5 has no MIDI Out so that’s not possible. And, I don’t think the TD-17 has MIDI In.
                          Last edited by Chance27; 11-20-19, 12:07 AM.

Comment

If the problem is not closed enough, then there is a simple way to fix it thanks to how the hihat has been designed.
                            On the clutch, above the top hat, are two washers that act as spacers (clever design!!). Remove one and the rod that holds the reflecting surface underneath the top hat will sink deeper into the controller. This causes the hihat to be much more closed. The spacer that was removed should be placed underneath the top hat and above the part with the white surface. Or use a thin felt washer instead if the result is too closed of a hihat.
                            I faced the "not closed enough" problem when I added felts between the two hats to reduce the noise when closing the hihat. I have the EXS-5 and the corresponding setting in the xD3 was not enough (even when set to +10) so the hihat when closed was more open than it should. With the above method I set "closed" as much as I wanted without having to depend only on the settings of the module. I still use the setting but only to fine tune it. The good thing is that the whole procedure is non destructive and can be reversed in a few minutes if I change module in the future (I am thinking of the TD-25 successor which is long overdue....).

Comment

Interesting, thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X