Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Velocity issues with ddrum kick trigger into Roland TM-6 Pro module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velocity issues with ddrum kick trigger into Roland TM-6 Pro module

At church we have an acoustic set that is being turned hybrid. It's got ddrum chrome triggers and silent stroke heads all around. It's running into a Roland TM-6 Pro module. The toms and snare work well, but I'm having issues with the kick. I've only tried it one night, so I'm not sure where to mess with first.

The trigger seems to be mounted well and contacting the head properly. I had zero mistriggers. But when I played, it about 10% of the time did wrong velocity - either soft on a hard kick or hard on a soft kick.

It's on a roland kick trigger preset on the module (sorry, don't have it at hand to check exactly which one), but there's also lots of other settings to play with.

Where do I need to start to tweak this? Does it sound like a physical contact issue, a module setting, etc?

Have you damped the head at all? Is the trigger a side or centre trigger. I'm guessing side. You need to get some foam or a pillow to stop the head vibrating too much. It can be really hard to trigger right from a large head without damping.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

This --^

Side triggers on mesh on large heads are a difficulty. Mesh doesn't transmit vibrations very well. Dampening may help with loads of module tweaks. Or I can recommend a Triggera Bix.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Thanks! I'll try both putting some heavy dampening in there and putting a real head back on (that may be an ok solution for us) and see how they work.

Comment

You can also try going to a center mount trigger system... That way the trigger is always getting a direct hit from the beater - hence a more accurate velocity signal.
          Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
            You can also try going to a center mount trigger system... That way the trigger is always getting a direct hit from the beater - hence a more accurate velocity signal.
            People tend to avoid a centre mounted trigger on kick drums due to the force being even higher than from a stick. If you do opt for bringing it closer to the centre, I'd still offset by a couple of inches to avoid direct contact.

I would imagine though that it is the dampening issue. I had a similar issue when I dampened my kick drum with a cheap foam. I narrowed it down to the foam not returning back to the original position quickly enough and it registering a softer hit next time it connected. It was really inconsistent though so it would fool you into thinking it was going to be ok. I think a thin mesh head on such a large drum with no padding could suffer results like this due to the head having so much springiness, it might be catching the beater while the head is bouncing back into position.

Comment

This morning I switched back to an acoustic head and it was FAR better. Triggering gave me the results I was expecting. Now just gotta make sure the sound guys were ok it with it.

Comment

Working...
              X