Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Modulation with sample pad units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modulation with sample pad units

I'm in the middle of researching sample pad units like the Roland SPD SX and Alesis Strike Multipad. I was surprised to learn how limited the samplers in these units are. I assumed incorrectly that they would be able to basic stuff like modulating pitch and filters with velocity. Neither of these units seem to be a be able to do this sort of modulation. Neither of these units appear to have anything like a mod matrix. Can anyone confirm?

If my understanding is correct, are there any other products out there that have more sophisticated samplers? If not, are there stand alone hardware samplers that anyone would recommend?

I was going down the hardware path, but I'm now thinking I might be better going with triggering a bunch of Samplers loaded into a drum rack in Ableton Live.

What would be the application of afore mentioned modulations? Adding realism to the sound during performance or just manipulating samples? Spd-sx can resample sounds with changes in pitch and normalization, while Alesis multipad can stack layers of different samples and round robin also (lacking some other functions though). Other hardware samplers, like Akai S2000 or Roland SP series, have much more control over the sounds, but lack functionality and format of multipads/sampling pads. Ultimately, triggering vst could be what you're after if none of the above works for you.
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
      What would be the application of afore mentioned modulations? Adding realism to the sound during performance or just manipulating samples? Spd-sx can resample sounds with changes in pitch and normalization, while Alesis multipad can stack layers of different samples and round robin also (lacking some other functions though). Other hardware samplers, like Akai S2000 or Roland SP series, have much more control over the sounds, but lack functionality and format of multipads/sampling pads. Ultimately, triggering vst could be what you're after if none of the above works for you.
      Thanks MilosDrummer

I'm looking to trigger more than standard drum sounds, so yes, manipulating samples. NI Battery does it, as do other software samplers. See for example.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tAvYYOAgoc

Thanks for the tip about the Akai S2000 and Roland SP samplers.
      Last edited by ecamburn; 11-04-19, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X