Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Is positional sensing accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is positional sensing accurate?

Hi,

I am not a drummer, but am working on a project where I will write music for an electronic drummer, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge about this.

I plan to write for electronic drums where the playing position from centre to rim changes the timbre of the sound, for instance controlling the filter frequency of an electronic drum sound. I tried to use positional sensing for this, but without luck. I used a Roland TD-50KVX including a PD-140DS snare, PD-128-BC pad, and a TD-50 Drum Module.

I set up a software to track the positional sensing data and mapped this to the pitches of a synthesizer to measure how accurate it was.

As far as I can understand, positional sensing was sometimes very inaccurate, both on the PD-140DS snare and PD-128-BC pad. Sometimes it seemed okay, but often it triggered errors, and it was pretty unpredictable, even reacting sometimes to how hard I hit the drum.

Is it me who has done something wrong, or is positional sensing simply a bit inaccurate, and this is quite normal?
Working...
X