Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

KD-140 Tuning/Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD-140 Tuning/Tension

I'm having a real difficult time tuning, or perhaps I should say tensioning, the head on my KD-140. I've had this kick drum for about eight months now and it feels like it has more bounce than my older KD-120 (which I still have). Has anybody out there had both, a KD-120 and KD-140 that they can share their experiences with? I have the head on the KD-140 about as loose as it can go so I don't understand why am getting a bounce. Perhaps this is just the way it is, the difference between the two drums themselves. It seems to me that I did read somewhere on the Internet, I don't know if it was here in this forum, that some people found the KD-140 to have more bounce than other Roland kick drums. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My KD-140 has a lot of bounce compared to my old KD-9. You don’t want to loosen the tension too much or you risk crushing the cone. I am using the felt side of the beater and a Falam patch so the felt doesn’t destroy the head. Try not to bury the beater and that can reduce the bounce. I think actually increasing tension can reduce the bounce. Good luck.
    Last edited by jimorlando; 10-13-19, 06:49 AM.
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I'm having a similar issue only with my KD-120. I have tighten and loosened the head numerous times but it still is just too bouncy, particularly when comparing it to my old KD-9 which actually felt pretty good. I have also added Falam patch and tried both sides of the beater. I'm not going back to the KD-9 but I was expecting much more.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I didn't have any bounce problem at all with my KD-120, just my KD-140. The KD-9 was actually quite decent, felt really good. Not sure what to say about your KD-120, sounds like the foam may need replacing?

Comment

try a 3 ply head, less bounce
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Does Remo make three ply heads or are they the heads called “Real Feel” mentioned in your signature?
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I see that the Real Feel drum heads are fron Drum-tec in Europe. Wondering if anyone sells these drum heads in the United States.

Comment

Billy Blast Drums carry 3-ply heads.

http://billyblastdrums.easystorecrea...Muffs/list.htm

Comment

drum tec real feel are amazing and only took a few days to get them. remo dosnt make 3 ply
                  Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

but billy blast 3 ply is a different head.. it is much more 'cloth' like and feels more 'stretchy'..
                    drum-tec real feel is more solid.. and 3 real layers of mesh.. however..
                    both a kd-120 or a kd-140 have a foam cushion behind the head.. that probably makes the difference between 2 or 3 ply very small
                    if you keep it like this.. ..with a kd-140 i'd take out the cushion and fill it up with towels that don't bounce..
                    -as an experiment- or.. change the beater bounce with a thin layer of (soft) foam, or on the mesh head ..
                    | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Thanks. Something to consider. I had a small relapse of GAS.

Comment

Working...
                      X