Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Adding second module?Currently own the Roland TD-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding second module?Currently own the Roland TD-17

I currently own a Roland TD-17 that i am using with Superior Drummer 3 and The drums of Destruction to record my bands second album. This is far from a stock kit and has been upgraded slowly as i go.

I would love to add more inputs to the module and have considered two options. Buy the Pearl Mimic Pro module or the Alesis Strike Pro module and have also given some thought to the 2box module as well.

If i send the midi out from my TD-17 into the Alesis Strike Pro will i then be able to basically add all the inputs that would be free on the strike module as cymbals or extra toms? Or the strike module as my drums and cymbals and then add the extra inputs i need from my TD-17.

I have been reading several posts saying the kit memory is 200mb and people are getting the error "Kit To Large".

If i can add more inputs to the strike using my Roland module as basically an expansion "MIDI I/O" will the strike let me assign what sounds i want and where? To use all of this within Superior drummer will i then be able to assign different midi notes into the strike module.

I know kind of a complicated question and after several hours of searching I am stumped. I have watched Siren-Drums videos and he is using his strike for the drums and a 2Box module for his cymbal sounds.

I could if i had to use a similar tactic an use the strike for drums only and the TD-17 for my cymbal sounds if need be. This could all be sent to my QSC Touchmix 16 and would still take up a lot less inputs then when I mic up my acoustic kit but the goal is to have a module that I can load the actual sound I have created for our album into the module so I can recreate the exact sound.

Also if i had to send to separate modules to my mixer this setup would not give me the option when recording to have more cymbals and drums.

All feedback an insight is very welcome.

Thanks
    Keith
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by zwickerkeith; 09-12-19, 12:22 AM.

Hi,
    your kit is very nice. Can you please say me which stand you are using and which brand/model for the pads ?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
      Hi,
      your kit is very nice. Can you please say me which stand you are using and which brand/model for the pads ?

Regards
      Roland MDS-50KV E-Drum Rack,
      Tom 1= Roland PDX-8
      Tom 2= Roland PDX-100
      Tom 3= Roland PD-105X
      Snare= Roland PDX-12
      Kick=Roland KD-140

Tom 3 and the kick drum have been wrapped flat black to match the rest of the kit. I originally bought the TD-17KVX and have slowly been upgrading it over the past year.

I plan to add one more PDX-100 and several more cymbals in the future so will need to buy a second module to accommodate my future plans.

Once i determine what module I am going to add as my second I will then rebuild the drum rack and install all the wiring inside the rack.

Cheers
      Keith

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
        Did you have hotspot problem with the center trigger of the PDX-100 ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
          Thanks for the reply.
          Did you have hotspot problem with the center trigger of the PDX-100 ?

Thanks
          No hotspot issues with the PDX-100

Comment

what on earth are those kick pedals? looks like tricks or axis longboards but what have you added to the heel part?
            Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
              what on earth are those kick pedals? looks like tricks or axis longboards but what have you added to the heel part?
              Trick Pro V-1s with vruk attachments! Seriously kicks ass!

Comment

Originally posted by zwickerkeith View Post

vruk attachments! Seriously kicks ass!
                those things are so cool! of course they're now impossible to find...
                Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

those things are so cool! of course they're now impossible to find...
                  Did Chris Adler stop selling them in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Slicklickz View Post

Did Chris Adler stop selling them in the US?
                    they are no longer showing in the shop on his website as was stated in some of the articles i found on google stated. articles were from 2012.

none on ebay, none on amazon, no ripoff of them on ali express, none currently for sale on reverb.

Comment

I currently own a Roland TD-17...considered two options. Buy the Pearl Mimic Pro module...
                      If you like the Mimic pro sounds as they are real samples you might ditch the VST's and go all module dedicating the TD-17 to more eclectic sounds and classic drum machines and Mimic as your core kit. All depends on the amount of extra triggers you want to get and what type of record you are recording of course. Good luck the pics look cool and those pedals look sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

If you like the Mimic pro sounds as they are real samples you might ditch the VST's and go all module dedicating the TD-17 to more eclectic sounds and classic drum machines and Mimic as your core kit. All depends on the amount of extra triggers you want to get and what type of record you are recording of course.
                        I have a few different needs basically for recording i would like to be able to USB connect 1 module lets say the Alesis Strike Pro to my PC, i would then connect the TD-17 to the Strike Pro with a midi cable. This would give me several extra inputs but i have no clue if i can remap what midi the Alesis uses, or if i can just remap the numbers not being used by the Alesis with my TD-17.

For recording i would be using Superior Drummer 3 and Reaper.

My live needs would be a little different i would like to Re/Create the kit i use in Superior Drummer 3 in the Alesis Strike Pro. Once again connect the TD-17 module via midi cable to give me lots of extra inputs for future expansion. I have read on several forums that the strike kit has a limitation of 200mb. Lots of people are reporting they get the error "Kit To Large".

I have also read a few other posts where people are reporting that this is no longer an issue with the version 1.4 update. While i do like the Pearl Mimic Pro i feel that something that lets me use more samples per drum would be a better lower cost option for me. 2Box modules look like a good fit for this as well but no USB connection to PC and their screen sucks.

The style of music i record an play live is most definitely a mix of thrash and death metal. The Vruks i own where actually ordered directly from Chris Adler a few years back and he was most definitely a great guy to deal with.

Comment

My live needs would be a little different i would like to Re/Create the kit i use in Superior Drummer 3 in the Alesis Strike Pro. Once again connect the TD-17 module via midi cable to give me lots of extra inputs for future expansion. I have read on several forums that the strike kit has a limitation of 200mb. Lots of people are reporting they get the error "Kit To Large".

I have also read a few other posts where people are reporting that this is no longer an issue with the version 1.4 update.
                          Still issue exceding this you will have drop out, it's not made for big size kit and it run 16bit. Alesis, 2box and td17 can't exceed their own triggering slot, you can't expand the sound on addition triggers with midi if you are using their internal sound. Siren is back to mimic soon.
                          Last edited by Chris K; 09-13-19, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X