Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD1KPX2 - CY5 Cymbal Pads wonít choke

Hi,
    Ive recently purchased the Roland TD1kpx2 drum kit and have noticed that the cymbals (crash as well as the ride) do NOT choke. I have been trying to figure it out for a while and have tried the all the possible ways of holding the cymbal to choke (as instructed in the Manual), and have tried inserting the jack properly etc. Iíve also noticed that in the Module settings, the MIDI Note number for the edge of the ride and the crash do not register.
    the issue is with all the 3 CY5 cymbals.

Ive tried the dealer for support but have not got any resolution. The kit is working fine except the cymbal choke issue, though the cymbals work well. Its been 3 days since the purchase.
    Is there any specific Technique / update i need to try? Or the TD1kpx2 does not have cymbal choke feature?

They may not be chokeable. I know that the lower end Roland kits use CY5 cymbals but they are single zone only. On the HD-3 the cymbals are single zone and the PDX snare pad is only single zone as well. One way to check is to see if the cymbals offer an edge sound and a bow sound. If not then I would say they are single zone with no choke.

Comment

That kit does have actual CY-5 cymbals, not the single-zone lookalikes. So they should get separate bow/edge sounds and be chokeable.

Make sure the stereo L-plugs are really fully inserted into the cymbals; they can be very stiff when they're brand-new; push again, harder!

Comment

Originally posted by Kent50 View Post
        They may not be chokeable. I know that the lower end Roland kits use CY5 cymbals but they are single zone only. On the HD-3 the cymbals are single zone and the PDX snare pad is only single zone as well. One way to check is to see if the cymbals offer an edge sound and a bow sound. If not then I would say they are single zone with no choke.
        Hi,
        they do offer the bow and edge sounds when played through the module... even the ride has two zones .

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
          That kit does have actual CY-5 cymbals, not the single-zone lookalikes. So they should get separate bow/edge sounds and be chokeable.

Make sure the stereo L-plugs are really fully inserted into the cymbals; they can be very stiff when they're brand-new; push again, harder!
          Hi, thanks..

i tried that ... but theyíre completely pushed inside.. the socket has no more space for the TRS jack... itís completely inside.

Comment

I own a Roland TD1 and I am able to choke the CY-5 cymbals. Any of them (hit hat, ride, and the two crashes).

To choke it, it is just a matter to hold the rubber in the edge (thumb finger on the top and index finger underneath) and it is easily chockable (no need to put much pressure).

Try reseting the module to factory default.

Last edited by ronaldobf; 09-09-19, 07:49 PM. Reason: Adding choke note
            Ronaldo B.

Comment

Worst case, try connecting to another module and cabling too. If it works, it might be your cables or the module itself. If it does not work on the other module, then it is the cymbal itself.
              I am not sure how the TD1 module manages to choke in terms of signaling. Eventually it does on a specific way that is common to all the cymbals.
              Eventually bring your module to a store and test another cymbal too.
              Ronaldo B.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldobf View Post
                Worst case, try connecting to another module and cabling too. If it works, it might be your cables or the module itself. If it does not work on the other module, then it is the cymbal itself.
                I am not sure how the TD1 module manages to choke in terms of signaling. Eventually it does on a specific way that is common to all the cymbals.
                Eventually bring your module to a store and test another cymbal too.

Well, it was an online purchase (in India) and there aren’t any local stores for Roland or Drums as a wholek...

And its mainly because of this that i havent been able to figure out a solution as of yet.

But, thanks a lot for the input ronaldobf

Comment

Just a question that came to my mind today... Are you using vst or are you getting it directly from the Td1 module?

I am asking this because the choke and bell ride don't work by default when connecting to the laptop (reaper/Cubase with ezdrummer 2, at least for me).

​​​​​
                  Ronaldo B.

Comment

Working...
                  X