Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

SOFT/HARDWARE TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ONLY!
See more
See less

Addictive Drummer 2 and Roland TD20 initial setup instructions for dummies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addictive Drummer 2 and Roland TD20 initial setup instructions for dummies!

I recently acquired a TD20 to use with my existing collection of Roland pads. (Upgraded from TD11) I want to use AD2 for my drum sounds but for the life of me, cannot get this setup working at all. I have a dedicated laptop with AD2 installed, everything working fine. I have a TD20 running my drum kit which is working fine. But I can't seem to get the two working together. I have read a dozen or more posts that deal with "tips and tricks" for something like this, but I'm stuck on the initial set up! Half of the posts I've read use language and acronyms I don't even know. Does anybody know of an existing step by step instruction FOR COMPLETE DUMMIES that would walk me through the setup process? How do I get AD2 running on my laptop to provide the drum sounds for my kit through a TD20?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    Brian

Ok so think of the the module and computer as two separate things. The computer will produce the sounds from AD2 out of its audio interface output. This is the case no matter how you trigger it it. That could be the td20 or a keyboard.

so the td20 is outputting midi through the midi out socket when you hit a pad/pads. Midi is not audio. It is messages telling the receiver which note you have hit and how hard you hit it. There is more to it than this but you need to make the distinction between audio and midi.

so you need to get midi out from the module into the computer. Do you have a midi interface or an audio interface with midi? If not then you will not get this working.

simply put you need to go from the midi out of the td20 to a midi in on an interface into you computer. You can then trigger AD2 once you have selected your midi interface input in AD2. the sound will come out of the computer and not the td20. You will need to listen to this. You could always feed the audio back into the td20 through the aux in to hear but you would need to turn local off on the module to stop you hearing both sounds.

To to be honest you need to read a lot more to understand regarding what midi is.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks MKOK, I have my dedicated laptop connected to my TD20 with a UM-ONE mk2 MIDI cable from Roland. Yes, I understand that I need to read a lot more, I get that part, but if I don't start getting this thing to at least work at some basic level I start losing my interest in proceeding. It seems to me that doing what I'm trying to do should not be that complicated (It's easy when you know how) but I'm not there yet. I do understand the basic principle of Midi NOT being audio. I understand that I am bypassing the TD20 sounds and just using it as an interface.

Comment

Ok so if you have midi out td20 to midi in on the midi interface then you should be able to select the midi device in AD2 and select the audio device as well. I don’t have AD2 so can’t comment how you do that. That’s as simple as it should be and listen to the output of the computer audio. Does AD2 have edrum settings so you can select td20 as a preset?
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Broid View Post
          Thanks MKOK, I have my dedicated laptop connected to my TD20 with a UM-ONE mk2 MIDI cable from Roland. Yes, I understand that I need to read a lot more, I get that part, but if I don't start getting this thing to at least work at some basic level I start losing my interest in proceeding. It seems to me that doing what I'm trying to do should not be that complicated (It's easy when you know how) but I'm not there yet. I do understand the basic principle of Midi NOT being audio. I understand that I am bypassing the TD20 sounds and just using it as an interface.
          AD2 has a midi map pop up window.You should go there and find ‘roland’ section and select td 20 from offering list then. And here’ you will have it ‘happiness’

Comment

Originally posted by petr_drummer View Post
            And here’ you will have it ‘happiness’
            lol.. after headache.. computers is headache, understanding audio card/ settings/ latency is headache, midi note numbers/ channels headache,
            software communicating with each other.. ..but don't stop swimming when you're halfway across the pond .. eventually you will get there ..

| Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Ok, through trial and error, I got it working...mostly. I can get signal from the drum pads into the computer, it's triggering the AD2 sounds and the sound is coming out the sound card and into an amplifier. So...progress. But it sounds fairly bad, underpowered, scratchy. Been fooling around with the audio settings and it's a bit better. Just ordered an audio interface to boost that, BUT now I have a latency issue. I've adjusted the audio buffer as best as is possible, but still have a latency issue. It's not a great laptop, but I'm running Windows 10 on it with no problems.

Comment

Ok, dealt with just about all the issues, got everything working for the most part. The issue I have now is the noise level coming out of my laptop and into the PA or amplifier. I got a audio interface and that has helped with the signal level, but the humm is intolerable. My bass player suggested a noise gate. Any thoughts?

Comment

Sounds like you need a di box with a ground lift. You can also get usb isolators which decouples the usb interface.

Comment

MKOK, I have no idea what you just said. I don't know what a di box is, much less a ground lift or a usb isolator. Please speak to me as if I were a 10 year old please.

Comment

A DI box is what is use extensively in live and is used to connect line level instruments to the mixing desk. Do a search on “Di box” it will bring up exactly what I am talking about. The hum you get is probably an earth loop. A Di box will let you break that loop if it has an earth lift. You are going to have to do some research yourself here as well. Again search “usb isolator” and you will find out what one is. The aim of this is to decouple what you connect to the usb(assuming your audio interface is connected this way) so avoiding interference from the pc. If you use onboard sound then a Di box is what you need.

Comment

Working...
                      X