Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Mimic Pro & Roland CY-15R miss-triggers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro & Roland CY-15R miss-triggers?

I have a Roland CY-15R that I am using as a crash cymbal with my Mimic Pro that periodically miss-triggers (configured as CY-14C) - all other cymbals work fine. It triggers but occasionally the volume is quite low. I have played with the threshold and gain which does help but tends to reduces the dynamics. Now that's probably not a big issue for me since I do not do cymbal swell too often but there are times I only want a softer response.

I assume this is a cymbal not module problem. I have seen mention and YouTube videos addressing CY-15R bell response problems and CY-14C choke problems but not specifically volume/dynamics. Since I am not the most DYI proficient character I am a bit leery about following their directions (i.e., tearing the rubber off) particularly if this may not lead to a fix. Has anyone else experienced this and if so any suggestions, success stories, horror stories, etc.?
    Last edited by EssKayKay; 08-15-19, 12:29 PM.

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
    I have a Roland CY-15R that I am using as a crash cymbal with my Mimic Pro that periodically miss-triggers (configured as CY-14C) - all other cymbals work fine. It triggers but occasionally the volume is quite low. I have played with the threshold and gain which does help but tends to reduces the dynamics. Now that's probably not a big issue for me since I do not do cymbal swell too often but there are times I only want a softer response.

I assume this is a cymbal not module problem. I have seen mention and YouTube videos addressing CY-15R bell response problems and CY-14C choke problems but not specifically volume/dynamics. Since I am not the most DYI proficient character I am a bit leery about following their directions (i.e., tearing the rubber off) particularly if this may not lead to a fix. Has anyone else experienced this and if so any suggestions, success stories, horror stories, etc.?
    With the Mimic: For my own crashes, personally I set the Zone Volume higher for my Bow than the Edge. I find that on most crashes in the module the edge is quite a bit louder than the bow. I also change the bow instrument assignment to the same as the edge, but that is just my preference. That way I don't get any unexpected volume drops or peaks. I don't know if your CY-15R is malfunctioning though .... If you have another Roland type CY on a different input that seems to perform the way you expect you could switch the Cy-15R to that cable just to test and verify there is a problem ....
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

With the Mimic: For my own crashes, personally I set the Zone Volume higher for my Bow than the Edge. I find that on most crashes in the module the edge is quite a bit louder than the bow. I also change the bow instrument assignment to the same as the edge, but that is just my preference. That way I don't get any unexpected volume drops or peaks. I don't know if your CY-15R is malfunctioning though .... If you have another Roland type CY on a different input that seems to perform the way you expect you could switch the Cy-15R to that cable just to test and verify there is a problem ....
      Jman,

I too set my Zone Volume Bow higher than my Edge (+30 vs. 0). On occasion I also have set the bow and edge to the same instrument assignment. As a test I have swapped the cables between a Roland CY-14C and the CY-15R (both are configured as CY-14C). The intermittent miss-triggering stayed with the CY-15R. That's why I assume it's a cymbal issue not a module issue.

Like I noted, I have seen a few videos and memos addressing other cymbal issues (i.e., poor bow response or auto-choking). Basically they say remove the rubber from the cymbal then clean the inner lining removing any excess rubber debris. I can try this but am a bit concerned in that I am not a real DYI guy, particularly since I'm not sure this will resolve the problem. I was hoping for input from someone who has had a similar experience.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
      Last edited by EssKayKay; 08-15-19, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X