Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Upgrading TD-20 to TD-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading TD-20 to TD-25

What are peopleís opinions on replacing a TD-20 module for a TD-25 on a TD-20kv setup?

4 Tom pads
    1 snare pad
    VH-12
    3 cymbals pad
    and kick drum pad.

Now I know I will loose a lot of functionality that the TD-20 but, itís now old and little bit outdated. Having played a TD-11 a lot Iím used to the newer sounds for the Roland line up. Hereís what I can deduce from my research, but I would like your opinions.

*Yes. I know I should probably get a 30 or 50 module. But Iím looking at more cost effective solution.
    * For home practice, I donít use any outputs/inputs the TD-20 has other than phones and mix in.

The cable snake on the TD-25 (I believe) will support everything bar the extra crash and tom pad. However, the module has an extra aux and crash 2 input which solves this problem.

Proís
    • New sounds
    • New tech
    • USB to computer hookup.
    • supports positional sensing on the TD-125 and 109ís
    Conís
    • Cable snake and no more spare inputs for upgrades in future.
    • VH-12 not fully compatible (from what I found on other threads some of pressure trigger isnít supported)

Opinion? Keep the TD20.

TD20 = MIDI in and out and no cable snake.

"new tech" isn't really a "pro" - at the end of the day no punter will ever know any difference.
    "USB"? Just use a MIDI->USB box
    "new sounds"? Let's face it, most drummers seem to want to recreate a 30 year old acoustic and leave it at that. If you want other sounds, MIDI on a sampler or computer

(well, you did ask!)
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I played the TD-25 and thought it sounded great. Substantial in build as well as sonically. I liked it better than the TD-17KVX. For what it's worth.

Comment

I think it's all a matter of personal taste and type of use. I tried the TD-25 and TD-50 and I didn't like those sounds, I like more the TD-17 sounds, but the only module I would like to have to replace my TD-12 would be a TD-30. Other than that I agree with electrodrummer. BTW what do you mean with TD-125 and 109? PD-125 maybe? AFAIK any PS based pad should work with any PS based drum module, so also with the TD-20.
        Roland TD-12 module, MegaDrum Trigger module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal, DIY A2E Chang dual zone cymbals.

Comment

It sounds like the TD-25 is a good solution for you. If you like the sounds, it supports your kit and is cost effective then it's a win-win. I like the simplicity of the internal sounds for practice as well. I have used Superior Drummer and the sounds are amazing. However, I like to just go in and turn on the module and play. I would keep the TD-20 module around though as you never know when you might want use it.

Comment

TD-20 to TD-25 is not an upgrade. Just use the td-20 to trigger VSTs.

Comment

Yeah not a step I would take
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks, all interesting responses. As redtide said personal taste. Personally I donít like the TD-20 sounds (coming from playing a TD-11) no matter how much I fettle with the options, sounds and sizes I canít get it to sound right, to me.

I think the sensible option here then is to go TD-30 or TD-50. VST - not my thing I just want to play a drum kit not setup a computer as well. - and no, I canít play an actual drum kit so has to be electric.

So, new question. 50 or 30? I guess this has been discussed to death on this forum. So Iíll go rummage for those posts.

Comment

Working...
                X