Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Customizing TD-17 via USB - technical data sheets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing TD-17 via USB - technical data sheets?

I'm brand new to drumming, but I have a fair amount of experience in software engineering. Yesterday I bought a TD-17KV which I'm delighted with, but I can tell that customizing everything via the module is going to be frustrating. This is not a criticism of the user interface itself - but I'm used to a full sized monitor, keyboard and mouse, which obviously provide more scope.

My hope is that either there's already software available for customizing everything from a computer, or this is feasible via USB but no-one's written the software yet. If it's the latter, I'm happy to have a go myself, but I'd need a technical data sheet with all the details of how to talk to the TD-17 module via USB.

All my searches so far have led me to results about using the USB port for recording from CakeWalk, etc - nothing about talking to it directly from code. It's not clear to me whether that's because it's infeasible, or just that hardly anyone does it.

Roland does not release these specs or data. You can only reverse engineer the files. You might want to contact VDrumLib to see if they'd be interested in partnering with them for some updates.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I have no experience in coding, but have some in edrum tweaking. My guess is that in order to program any kind of software for controlling the module, one has to start from tapping into the module's functions, which means you first have to get familiar with them. That means you'll probably get proficient in using the module via its own interface sooner than writing the software, which makes it kinda redundant for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that you'd probably be making something for other users rather than yourself
      °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
      °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
      °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Even I have never used the PC editor feature of VDL. You can’t tell what your doing, so you might as well sit at the kit and do it right. Not to shoot the idea down, but very few people use such a feature. It wouldn’t be worth your time.
        Alan
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Righto. Seems A pity - it would be fun, but I don't want to get into the realm of reverse engineering. (My expectation would be sitting at computer *and* kit together.)

Comment

Just to follow up on this, I've now found the following documentation of the TD-17 midi implementation:
            https://static.roland.com/assets/med...le_eng01_W.pdf

(I'm not sure how I missed it before.) I suspect that the SysEx messages could do everything I need.

I've also worked out most of the details of what's in a TD0 file, which could prove handy - and which on inspection looks like it's identical to the parameter address map in the midi documentation. Obviously it's still very early days, but if I end up creating anything interesting, I'll share more details.

Comment

Working...
            X