Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Usb audio inreface query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usb audio inreface query

Usb audio interface query (can't change the title typo)

Hi, I've bitten the bullet and bought ezdrummer to run on a laptop.
    I'm connected by USB from my Alesis dm7x drum module into my laptop and it sounds great. Low latency and great sounds using the asio4all drivers.

My module had an aux in so I could play along to amazon music tunes from my phone.
    As asio exclusively takes over the audio in the laptop I can no longer do this.

I'm not interested in recording anything, just jamming along with music.

My drum also has the old style din midi in and out as well as USB.

My question is does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap interface that will do what I need it to do.
    I've been googling and although I have an idea what is required I just need some definitive advice from experienced people on here
    Thanks.
    ​​
    Last edited by sye; 06-24-19, 02:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Easiest / prob cheapest / flexible

Little mixer

PC ---> Mixer
    Phone ---> Mixer

Mixer ---> Cans.

£25-30 in UK will do. (paid £22.36 for a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer from Amazon, for example)
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-24-19, 06:24 AM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Iíll second that. I use a small Behringer at rehearsals
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

It's an ASIO4ALL limitation.

If you have your music in your phone, then, the suggestion above is a good one.

If your music is on your computer, you will need a real USB Audio Interface.
        One with good drivers will give you low latency AND the ability to hear the drums from EZD and songs from your music app at the same time.

Unfortunately... "good drivers" usually do not rime with "cheapest"

Lately, I switched to a hifi DAC that had good drivers... not the typical I/O sound card one would use for recording and playback.
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          I picked up a used m-audio fast track c400 for £35 which was advertised locally on Facebook marketplace.

Set it up and all is good.

One question though. If I use the c400 driver the latency is around 20ms and if I use the asio4all driver I get around 4ms.

Obviously due to the asio4all driver set up for 64 samples and the c400 I can't get it lower than 512 samples, this is probably why the latency is higher.

Is this an OK situation or am I missing something?

​​

Comment

Up to you, really. You have made if difficult by doing it all with software and not a simple hardware mixer
            20ms is not soooo bad !
            Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-25-19, 02:58 PM.
            *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
            Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Working...
            X