Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland Vh-11 edge trigger not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Vh-11 edge trigger not working properly

Dear V-Drum-community, thanks for having me!
    Recently I got into e-drums by converting my acoustic drums into electronic ones using drum-tec mesh heads, jobeky triggers, Roland cymbals, a DDRUM DDTI (like a Alesis Trigger IO) and a laptop with EZ Drummer 2.

Well it's working out great and I've come to very good results so far but there are some minor to medium bugs: One of them is, the Roland VH-11 hi hat edge is not responding when being hit. its always just the bow/tip piezo responding. Only when I grab the edge there is a signal going out of the edge switch. Trigger type is properly set to PS/PIEZO SWITCH and when I used a multimeter to get readouts it gave me 17-39 ohms along the edge switch when being pressed. But no matter what I do, I can't get the switch actuated by hitting it with a stick. I also opened up the hihat and looked for loose rubber, but nothing. the cable is alright as well. Other inputs of the DDTI show same results.

Do you have an idea?
    Thanks for reading!

Is it comparable with DDTI? I did have an alesis io once but found itís triggering capabilities woeful compared to my ddrum4 and td20.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
      Is it comparable with DDTI? I did have an alesis io once but found itís triggering capabilities woeful compared to my ddrum4 and td20.
      Oh otherwise it's working pretty well. Got closed, half open and full open hihat sounds with pretty natural transitions. You might be right and the short actuation of the switch is not enough for the ddti to respond. that could be the reason only grabbing the edge gives a signal which is recognized by the interface.

Comment

Hi Rome. Just wondering if you got anywhere with VH11 and DDTI. I also have CY15R. They both seem to only output bow/bell and bow/edge data on the tip of the TRS, and only choke is output on the ring. Is this what you've found as well? Not a huge deal, but the CY15R in particular was a lot of money for a 3-zone that I can really only use as bow + choke. Thanks!

-Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Rome View Post
          DDRUM DDTI ...Well it's working out great and I've come to very good results so far but there are some minor to medium bugs
          Run Forest RUN! This is e-waste: terrible MIDI latency and trigger quality. It won't work properly with your dual zone hihat (not to mention "Variable Hihat" --> it does not send any CC data).

Comment

To Eric (Ekuehnl); The 3-Zone Ride uses 2 cables, one is the Bow and Edge, and the other is the Ride Bell. The first cable/trigger input is configured as a standard Piezo/Switch type Pad/Cymbal, but the second cable/trigger input is only a Switch. This has to be associated with the Piezo on the other Input so on Modules and the Roland TMC-6 you need to configure this as the Ride Control trigger type, but I don't see such a Trigger Type for the DDTI. Therefore, it looks like the DDTI does not support 3-Zone Cymbals. You might consider using an eDRUMin to support the 3-Zone Ride.

To Rome; The Piezo on the Bow always detects the strike and sends the signal. The Switch does not send a signal, it just closes the Circuit. When the Piezo Circuit rings and the Switch is Open the devices interpret that as a Bow Hit. When the Piezo Circuit rings and the Switch is Closed, so the resistance is Low or short circuit on the Switch Circuit, the devices interpret that as a Edge Hit.

Clearly, when you are chocking the Signal it is being interpreted correctly as the Switch being closed and an Edge Hit. Are you able to connect the meter to measure whether there is a change in resistance when you are hitting the Edge with the stick?

The Troubleshooting Section of the Manual says to check the Threshhold Settings in the DDTI.

HTH

Comment

Working...
            X