Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-20 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 advice

I have a TD-20 that was recently pretty well drenched in a washing machine failure that rained water into my basement for several hours.
    The module would not initially even power up. I opened it up and put a fan on it for several hours. It now powers up, but the display is just green! Nothing there, just a glowing green screen.
    I've filed an insurance claim for the damages and included my module in the claim. They want me to have it evaluated and diagnosed for repair. I thought the TD-20 was too old for service and that parts are no longer available.
    Any ideas how I should proceed?

I would check with Roland factory repair to see if they will look at it. You can get a repair estimate from them that should be accepted by the insurance company.

Comment

I called them......they are in the midst of moving their facilities and are not accepting reairs now. They referred me to a local authorized repair center.

Comment

I would take it apart and remove all the ribbon cables and wipe them. Also take the battery out. I would then dry it for a lot longer than you did before putting it back together. It may not work as you have already powered it up which if something was still shorting out could have killed it.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I did all of that again and kept a fan on it for several days. Still the same result. Would the water have killed the display like that?

Comment

Getting water in would have shorted the battery. It may not be the screen that is damaged. It may be another part that still had water in shorting out when you booted it back up. Does it actually work except for the screen?
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Best I can tell it works OK except for the green screen.

Comment

Ah right. So the backlight is working but the lcd part isnít. You have tried everything I can think of so it could be the screen or the controller. Next step would be to either try and source a cheap screen and see if it works or get an expert to look at it. I say cheap screen as you donít want to waste money if that is not it or the module destroys the screen.

Comment

Working...
                X