Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Connecting Spd-30 and Spd-sx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Spd-30 and Spd-sx?

Hello all,

I'm a new owner of both a Spd-sx and a Spd-30. Any tips on linking these devices together?
    I'm aware that I have generally two avenues: the audio in/outs and the midi in/outs.

I'm interested in hearing what is possible and what you've done with these two great machines.

Thanks.

Depends what you're trying to achieve, really.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I am relatively new to electronics and am unsure of the capabilities these machines have when connected together.

I was hoping some forum members with experience could give an idea of what they've been able to achieve.

I don't have the necessary computing equipment for working with DAWs or VSTs, so that's outta the question for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimi Stixx View Post
        Thanks for the input.

I am relatively new to electronics and am unsure of the capabilities these machines have when connected together.
        Hit a pad on one, make it sound a noise on the other. Same as MIDI connecting two keyboards together.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

you have to be clear about what are you going to use spd-sx with spd-30 for ?

Comment

The SPD-30 only plays sounds from its internal bank, whereas the SX allows you to import your own samples. However, they both have the ability to add a few pads and therefore the capacity to play more samples or sounds than there are available pads built in. By midi linking these together, you can assign the midi numbers of the external pads to that of the other device and trigger additional sounds from one or the other.

For example, say you have all 9 pads taken up with imported samples on your SX but want to play more than this without swapping kits. Using midi from your SPD-30, you can use its built in pads to play the additional trigger 1-4 sounds and footswitch 1-2 sounds on the SX. You could mute the face pads from the SPD-30 to do this, or you could even keep them on and effectively layer its sounds with that of the SPD-SX. Doing this is easy with just routing the audio out from one device into the in on the other. In fact, if you route the 30 into the SX, you can even use the SX's master effects on the audio input to affect the 30's sounds.

​​

It really is all about exactly what you want to achieve, there are more options available but without more info it's difficult to know exactly what to suggest in terms of features.

Comment

Working...
            X