Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Help: TD-20 Ghost Note Rolls MISSING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: TD-20 Ghost Note Rolls MISSING

Hey Peeps!

First post here and I hope you can help me get to the bottom my issue, and thank you in advance...

I bought a used Roland TD-20 set. Seemed ok when I auditioned them at the guy's place but it seems I'm suddenly annoyed by the absence of ghost note rolls on snare. I owned a TD-8 kit for many years and I never had this kind of problem

Here are my settings for my PD-125 Pad:
    Sensitivity - 9
    Threshold - 2
    Curve - Linear
    Scantime - 2.0
    Retrigger cancel - 1
    Masktime - 6
    Rim Gain - 2.0
    Rimshot adjust - 3.2
    Xstick theshold - 90
    Xtalk - OFF

Head tension: 2 full turns past hand tight

All pads are behaving the same way and beyond the above settings I've messed around with ALL manor of settings combinations and nothing helps.

New cones/piezos?

Is just the nature of this kit?

Here's a quick video of my issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXjNiqhtpZqWqvSP6

Many thanks for your help(s)!

Mmmike

Sounds and looks like the cone may be severely worn, if the original owner never tightened the head to begin with... and it sounds like you tightened the heads, which revealed the issue. You most likely need new cones. If you can show us the cones, that will answer the question real quick.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Can you get hold of another pad to try as it seems odd that all of the pads are behaving like this. I do know this can be a problem depending where the kit was kept. I am using the same pads from a TD20 kit which are really old and the cones are fine. As Alan says get the skin off and see what they are like.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Hey, thanks fellers. Here are some pics for you. In the meantime I'm going to try same pad on TD-8 and try PD-80R on TD-20. Will update later on.
        IMG_20190510_145439.jpg
        IMG_20190510_145450.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

Tried the PD-125 on the TD-8 module and same thing. Didn't bother bringing the PD80R pad home with me to try on TD-20 cause its really looking like it's a cone issue.

Anyone know best place to buy em? Buying from Roland seems expensive when they've quoted me $15 for shipping one cone (2-3 weeks delivery time)!!

Comment

I'd say that's WELL worn. New cones will make a huge difference. It looks like the original owner did not tighten the heads like the manual states. Thus, he wore them down over the years.
            Alan
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

So with a loose head the cone gets compressed more and eventually stays below the skin so soft hits donít engage it? This may seem a silly question but has anyone ever tried adding foam to the top of the compressed cone? I know when I built my own I tried lots of different combinations of foam and as long as they had decent contact with the head they worked fine. Just a thought and maybe worth trying if it saves money. Even slice to top off the cone and add some in between and glue back on. Could be worth a shot. Iíd have a go myself but my cones are ok so I donít want to destroy any
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Between 2 music stores I found 5 new cones for a much better price than ordering direct from Roland. Gonna drive down n grab em later today.

Thanks a ton for your insights, guys. I'll update you when I get them installed.

Cheers!

Comment

imo.. cone gets filed down too by (too much) movement of mesh (like a kitchen grater) i'd say the light stuff on the cone might be cone-dust ..
                  i think a new one is not that expensive.. the size and material has to be right.. to keep the piezo output the same.. (if you have fixed holder)

| Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

BINGO!! New cone fixed it.

Thanks, all!

Comment

Working...
                    X