Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD 12 headphone issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD 12 headphone issue

Hi, I had been using ATH M40x headphones and then started getting a clipping on the bass drum. I replaced the headphones and had the same issue followed by the complete failure of the RHS phone. I then replaced them DT770 80ohm and still have clipping on the bass drum at low volume levels. Is this something wrong with the TD12?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This should be in technical...

You should clarify if your HPs are directly from the module, and not going through an external board. Next question is, is it happening on all kits? We need all relevant info possible.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

You could also try checking the trigger input level for peaking?
      °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
      °•SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
      °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Guys, thanks very much for your replies, very much appreciated.

Headphones going straight from the unit itself nothing else. Cant say its happening on other kits just the My V kit that I've edited. How do I know if the trigger is peaking? Have searched manual and come across nothing, id hazard a guess it may be when the trigger light turns red? I thought this just indicated maximum trigger output not peaking?

Thanks again

Comment

If it’s just one kit/bass drum, then it’s a setting you changed. It could be anything. This isn’t about the trigger settings, as it doesn’t affect your other kits. This could be literally anything from vedit to EQ to compression. You’ll have to go through all that instrument’s settings to see what you pushed too far. There’s pretty much no way we can tell you without seeing every screen involved... and that’s a LOT of screens. My recommendation is to go through every setting, kill it, and set it from scratch. That’s about the only way you’re going to find what’s causing it.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

OK thanks, perhaps ill re set and start again. So is it possible to damage headphones by having these settings incorrect?

Comment

Not really for a short period, but it’s not good long term. As soon as something like that starts, you should immediately find the issue. Obviously, it is possible to damage any monitoring source if you continue too long.
              Alan

Comment

OK, I'll do a suggested. Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Comment

Originally posted by soundarden View Post
                  How do I know if the trigger is peaking? Have searched manual and come across nothing, id hazard a guess it may be when the trigger light turns red? I thought this just indicated maximum trigger output not peaking?

Thanks again
                  Since you've narrowed down the issue to one kit, it's not the trigger setting, but just FYI; going to the trigger settings > sens tab, you should have a monitor for the velocity of each stroke. Yes, the red LED indicates the peak trigger input, which in it self doesn't mean you're clipping but if the eq/compressor settings are too high (too much bass or gain) it can lead to audio clipping on the output.
                  Last edited by MilosDrummer; 04-25-19, 05:48 PM.
                  °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
                  °•SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
                  °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Hi all,

I did a factory re set on the unit then with only minot changes to the my vdrum (lower tone only, no eq/comp) the issue returned, clicks when the hit. Could it be a fault with the unit? Do I just like too much bass (normally I'm after a similar sound to Matt Cameron so perhaps this is the issue!!)? Are there any more robust headphones I could try.

Again, thanks for you assistance, much appreciated.

Comment

Can you post the before/after setting(s) you're changing? (pics please) This is not normal, unless you are changing it drastically.
                      Alan

Comment

Ive just tried my original AT M40 previous to current model I had issues with (and about 20yrs old) and they have no problems at all! The before settings is factory re set.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

The 250k bump and 3dB of gain in the comp are gonna push some volume in the LMs, but that wouldn't really worry me. Since you've confirmed your M40s are fine with the settings, it's obviously that the Beyers can't take it for some reason. Your ATs are better designed for modules anyway. You might consider the M50s if you need another pair.

I'm just surprised to hear it of Beyer HPs... even the 80ohm. Likely the 32ohm version wouldn't do this, if you really want the Beyers. I prefer to use low ohms for modules. While higher ohms are designed for cleaner (low-level) mixing, they are not really ideal for modules. I'm just a little shocked that even 80 starts to overload.
                          Alan

Comment

OK, thanks for the feedback I'll give them a try!

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X