Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland TD17KVX and EZ Drummer 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD17KVX and EZ Drummer 2

Ok, please be gentle its only my 3rd post...……………. I need your help!

I'm completely new to Edrums, DAWs and VSTs (had to Wikipedia both of those terms to understand what they are)

Anyway, I'm completely confused and need help.

I have a Roland TD17KVX + Expressions Series 3 add on pack. All working as expected, no issues. I thought (naively I now realise) that I could extend the range of kits by using software and it would simply be a case of hooking up using my USB (looks like a printer cable) lead, hit the drums and then what I play on the TD17 would be accurately represented on the demo version of EZ Drummer 2. However, this isn't the case.

I have managed to get the MIDI connection working no problems, I hit a drum on the TD17 and it splashes up on the screen, however the volume levels are not represented correctly.

Am I missing something really obvious? Why does the software not take the velocity hit of up to 127 and represent it 'accurately' in the application?

Is this just an issue with EZ drummer? Would it be the same with Superior Drummer or other drum software?

I really just want to extend the range of kits I have I'm not really into music production. I saw EZ drummer 2 as a potentially good investment but am not sure now if that's the way to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Scott
    Last edited by badboybubby; 04-02-19, 01:33 PM.
    Roland TDK17KVX + VExpressions Series 3 Kits
    Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
    Mapex P800 Single Pedal
    Mapex Throne

Ezdrummer will take exactly the velocity that is sent to it from your module. Midi is quite simple so if your module sends 110 then that is exactly what will hit whatever vst you use. Do you mean volume as that is down to the audio interface you are using?
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
      Ezdrummer will take exactly the velocity that is sent to it from your module. Midi is quite simple so if your module sends 110 then that is exactly what will hit whatever vst you use. Do you mean volume as that is down to the audio interface you are using?
      The best way I can describe my problem is this.

If I use my mouse and click on the Snare drum in EZ drummer 2 it's loud, if I do a reasonably hard bit on the Roland kit it's quiet through EZ drummer.

Hope that makes sense.

Svott
      Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
      Mapex P800 Single Pedal
      Mapex Throne

Comment

When you click on a pad in ezdrummer or SD3 you will get full velocity. Hitting a drum reasonably hard may not translate to generating a full 127 velocity. Have you set the triggers up on the td17 to give full velocity when hit hard? You can only really tell this if you record the midi and then check the velocity of the note. Also note the dynamic range is quite wide on the toontrack drums which are quite natural and not overly compressed. I know you can narrow this on SD3 but I’m not sure about ezdrummer. What you really need to do though is make sure a hard hit equates to a midi velocity of 127.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
          When you click on a pad in ezdrummer or SD3 you will get full velocity. Hitting a drum reasonably hard may not translate to generating a full 127 velocity. Have you set the triggers up on the td17 to give full velocity when hit hard? You can only really tell this if you record the midi and then check the velocity of the note. Also note the dynamic range is quite wide on the toontrack drums which are quite natural and not overly compressed. I know you can narrow this on SD3 but I’m not sure about ezdrummer. What you really need to do though is make sure a hard hit equates to a midi velocity of 127.
          Actually, that makes sense. I think a normal hit comes out at about 60 or 70 so that's why its quiet. All I really wanted to do was expand my kit options by using the software but given there appears to be a certain amount of set up tweaking I don't think I'll bother with EZ drummer or any other drumming VST add ins. I think VExpressions and similar is the way to go really. I love the simplicity of downloading, dropping on to the SD card and you instantly have extra kits. I also don't have an issue with the £40 I paid for an extra 25 kits. They sound really good. I do wonder if there are free ones out there that could be used on the 17KVX?

Thanks for your reply

Scott
          Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
          Mapex P800 Single Pedal
          Mapex Throne

Comment

It does sound like the sensitivity for the pads is not set up correctly though even if using the td17 standalone. 60 to 70 is really quite low. If I’m hitting the snare for a backbeat then I would expect around 110 and up to 127 for a hard hit/backbeat. Does the manual mention how to set up pad sensitivity? I would say if your happy playing the td17 as you say then stick with it. I have a td30 and use the onboard sounds for practicing when I can’t be bothered to turn the pc on. I would not use the td30 sounds (or td17/50) for recording though as they just aren’t good enough.

Comment

My favorite kit is a free kit from Simon Ayton called RETROROK available here" http://www.simonayton.com/roland_v_d...kit_downloads/
              It reminds me a lot of ez drummer original kit. I have the series 3 from VEX also. Of which some are nice. I'm hoping VEX will Port their latest TD-50 series Infinity to the TD-17. I was really impressed with the Infinity kits.
              Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by digitalstring View Post
                My favorite kit is a free kit from Simon Ayton called RETROROK available here" http://www.simonayton.com/roland_v_d...kit_downloads/
                It reminds me a lot of ez drummer original kit. I have the series 3 from VEX also. Of which some are nice. I'm hoping VEX will Port their latest TD-50 series Infinity to the TD-17. I was really impressed with the Infinity kits.
                Regards,
                Yes, got the Retrorock kit too. I'd love to see that port also ftom VE.
                Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
                Mapex P800 Single Pedal
                Mapex Throne

Comment

Working...
                X