Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

roland UM-ONE cable is confusing MIDI IN and MIDI OUT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roland UM-ONE cable is confusing MIDI IN and MIDI OUT?

replaced my cheapo MIDI to USB cable with a roland branded one to see if i would have any better results but still having problems

after installing drivers successfully and connecting midi cables to in/out ports on my TD-6v and USB to my PC, indicator lights on the UM-ONE light up for the USB portion and the MIDI IN only, nothing for the MIDI OUT. this is the case whether i have the MIDI IN cable connected or not, for some reason it's seeing the MIDI OUT as MIDI IN. i've made sure i'm using the correctly labelled cables but it doesn't seem to matter which i connect anyway, if i plug into MIDI OUT then the MIDI IN light comes on.

enabling/disabling local control doesn't make any difference, my computer doesn't seem to be receiving anything.

seems to be the exact same issue this person was having with their TD-12 and roland UM-ONE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QqiGEi1_0 but of course there's no solution, it just shows that they were having the problem.

does anyone know how to solve this issue?
    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

What software are you using and are you sending midi out to your module? Simple test. Record midi from the TD6 into your software and check it has recorded. Then make sure you have selected the UM-ONE as the output and play back the midi. It should trigger your TD6. Is this what you want the midi out to do? I don't even have a midi out to my module as I only ever send from it and use sounds on my PC.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

i'm using tracktion https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

i also have reaper, though i find it less user friendly for a DAW noob like myself who doesn't have any idea what he's doing

i'm trying to use my TD-6v to trigger a VST (i have SSD5 trial and MTpowerdrumkit)

i will try recording something after work. i thought i needed the midi out to be working to be able to do that? i have another program i found for making MIDI mapping presets (since SSD5 doesn't seem to have anything older than the TD-20 and i thought that might have been the issue) that when i try to assign a pad by striking it, the program doesn't receive any signal from the kit
      Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
        indicator lights on the UM-ONE light up for the USB portion and the MIDI IN only, nothing for the MIDI OUT. this is the case whether i have the MIDI IN cable connected or not, for some reason it's seeing the MIDI OUT as MIDI IN. i've made sure i'm using the correctly labelled cables but it doesn't seem to matter which i connect anyway, if i plug into MIDI OUT then the MIDI IN light comes on.
        That is exactly what it is supposed to do. The labeling of the cables is a very common point of confusion and not consistent between USB adapters. Basically, the output of your TD-6V is supposed to be connected to the input of your UM-ONE. In an attempt to prevent confusion, the input cable of your UM-ONE is labeled as "CONNECT TO MIDI-OUT". This is clear enough and most people make the connection correctly. But, this doesn't mean that this is the MIDI-Out of your PC -- it is the MIDI-IN of our PC. So, the MIDI-IN light should light up when it is receiving MIDI information from your TD-6V's MIDI-Out port. The MIDI-OUT light will only light up if your PC sends a MIDI signal back to your TD-6V -- this won't happen very often in your application,

Comment

FittingCloudyInganue-small.gif

welp, that makes sense. my mistake.

will have to figure out why my PC doesn't seem to be receiving anything then

Comment

mods please delete this thread.

it's working fine, not sure what's wrong with the midi mapping program, but i assumed based on that not working and the um-one showing the same inputs lit up as my cheapo cable (that didn't work at all) that it wasn't working any better. went in to my DAW and both vst's are finally working.

Comment

Working...
            X