Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Differences between trigger systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between trigger systems

Trying to decide on my next kit, I'm wondering about the main differences between the cheaper side mounted triggers and the center/side mounted units. I know that side mounted triggers aren't capable of positional sensing, but other than that feature what are the benefits/drawbacks to each systems? I've read too that hotspotting is basically non-existent with side mounted units so wondering why they seem to be considered inferior other than the lack of positional sensing. Thanks all
    Drum-Tec 5-piece Jam Series, TD-17 (drum-tec LSE), VH-11, CY-12, CY-13R

You hit the biggest difference - positional sensing. Although one of the more curious members on here actually tested PS using side mounted triggers and, if I recall correctly, said it worked. Don't remember how well, though.

The biggest plus of side mounted triggers is no hot spot (unless you like hitting near the edge).

The biggest drawback is that as the diameter of the head gets larger you get reduced signal. So, for a 10inch pad it would be hard to tell. But on a 16" or 18" floor tom it would be noticeable. And on a 20" or 22" bass drum would be pretty tough to get enough signal.

When I had my A2E setup I used crossbars on the floor tom and bass drum and positioned the side mounted triggers about half way between the edge and the center. Out of way of a normal strike so still no hotspot but plenty of signal strength.
    TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Bill. The specific set I'm looking at is the Drumtec Jam. I don't care much about the lack of positional sensing, but I'm wondering how well the Bass drum responds since it's an 18" with apparently side mounted triggers. Can't find much in the search here as far as specific users that have tried one out though.
      Drum-Tec 5-piece Jam Series, TD-17 (drum-tec LSE), VH-11, CY-12, CY-13R

Comment

An 18" bass drum might be ok because the beater probably isn't striking in the center. It's probably hitting a little high. So if the trigger we're mounted to the closest lug near where the beater would hit it would probably be ok.

Best to talk with Drumtec. I've got to believe they've tested their setup.
        TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Working...
        X