Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

ATV aDrums occasional cut off hit when paired with Mimic Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northfield
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkuZ View Post

I must correct my answer! I had this issue again after reinstalling the database!! It happens less often but it happens. Sounds (more often long samples) are interrupted when hitting another pad! :-(. maybe there is something with the hardware.....

I own the newest version of mimic with the new casing in matte finish.

More Users with this problem?
    Looks like we're in the same boat ... everything was fine for about two weeks, but now the problem is back. I don't have to strike another pad to have sounds interrupted, it can happen i. e. while just striking the bass drum. And yeah, I'm giving the module plenty of time to load the entire kit before I play. I guess it's not a software problem, but hardware (as suggested by Kabonfaiba above).

I will contact the store and take it from there.

Leave a comment:

• MarkuZ
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkuZ View Post
    My Cutoff Sound Issue was fixed by reinstalling the Sound library! No problems anymore!
    I must correct my answer! I had this issue again after reinstalling the database!! It happens less often but it happens. Sounds (more often long samples) are interrupted when hitting another pad! :-(. maybe there is something with the hardware.....

I own the newest version of mimic with the new casing in matte finish.

More Users with this problem?

Leave a comment:

• petr_drummer
    replied
    Originally posted by Northfield View Post

I've followed those steps now and so far, so good. I'll know if it solved the problem for good in a couple of weeks ... no, not Iceland, I'm from Norway
    Let me know in any case about if it’s gone please. Two weeks is a quite enough time to see if it appears again or not.Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• MarkuZ
    replied
    My Cutoff Sound Issue was fixed by reinstalling the Sound library! No problems anymore!

Leave a comment:

• Northfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
    This discussion of reinstalling libraries seems like the typical steps to resolve data retention / bit error accumulation in NAND storage.

I would want to replace the module if that keeps occuring, as that suggests the SSD has gone bad.
    Off course, what I fear the most is that my unit has a problem like that and must be replaced. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this reinstall process solved it.

Leave a comment:

• Northfield
    replied
    Originally posted by petr_drummer View Post

Please execute tall the steps in same order I did meaning reset module after sl reinstalling . I think it is an important part to eliminate an issue that happened to
    your unit. Once again..... if it managed with mine module it should help you also. Good luck and tell me how things are.
    When u say ‘cold here during winter’
    U mean you live in Iceland?
    I've followed those steps now and so far, so good. I'll know if it solved the problem for good in a couple of weeks ... no, not Iceland, I'm from Norway

Leave a comment:

• Kabonfaiba
    replied
    This discussion of reinstalling libraries seems like the typical steps to resolve data retention / bit error accumulation in NAND storage.

I would want to replace the module if that keeps occuring, as that suggests the SSD has gone bad.

Leave a comment:

• petr_drummer
    replied

Thanks! I did reinstall the library and it did fix it right away. But today ... well, it happened again. I think I did exactly what you recommended, except the reset thing. I will try that and see if the problem occur again then (after some weeks)! If not, I could just reinstall the library now and then You're right, nothing is perfect, but the Mimic is pretty close! I'm norwegian, by the way. Playing the drums is the best way to keep yourself warm during winter up here

Sorry to all in this thread for posting my question here, I should've started a new. Thanks for all your responses - having a forum with dedicated people like you to turn to is just amazing.
    Please execute all the steps in same order as I did meaning reset module after sl reinstalling . I think it is an important part to eliminate an issue that happened to
    your unit. Once again..... if it managed with mine module it should help you also. Good luck and tell me how things are.
    When u say ‘cold here during winter’
    U mean you live in Iceland?
    Last edited by petr_drummer; 05-15-19, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Northfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris K View Post

What petr did is:
    Reinstall firmware v1.0.8.24 available at pearl web site.
    Reset
    Delete user kits
    Delete library - reinstall library

I would do these above in sequence.

Ps: Doing reset, will set back mimic at default state, triggers and setting, you need to backup your triggers setting on USB flash, same for user kit.
    Thanks! Got it, will do it in that sequence this time

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied

I think I did exactly what you recommended, except the reset thing. I will try that and see if the problem occur again then after some weeks

What petr did is:
    Reinstall firmware v1.0.8.24 available at pearl web site.
    Reset
    Delete user kits
    Delete library - reinstall library

I would do these above in sequence.

Ps: Doing reset, will set back mimic at default state, triggers and setting, you need to backup your triggers setting on USB flash, same for user kit.
    Last edited by Chris K; 05-12-19, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Northfield
    replied
    Originally posted by petr_drummer View Post

Well I had exact issue and even more.... What you should do to make it be fixed is.... Download factory sound library zip file from pearl official site. it consist of 7 folder, unpack it and put a common folder ( there will be 7 subfolders in common folder) with unziped files on usb flash drive. Then (Just in case... delete internal mimic's library before importing a fresh one) import s.l.from your flash. After doing this when you switch on mimic again, find a reset button in system window....tap on it. Module will ask restart. Everything should be fine after this. BTW if you don't lwant to loose all your setting for trigger presets e.t.c. Make back up before reinstalling sound library. Goodluck and don't worry, It happens. Nothing is perfect. Cheers. Let me know how all will work after. Thanks.
    PS. What country are u from?
    Thanks! I did reinstall the library and it did fix it right away. But today ... well, it happened again. I think I did exactly what you recommended, except the reset thing. I will try that and see if the problem occur again then (after some weeks)! If not, I could just reinstall the library now and then You're right, nothing is perfect, but the Mimic is pretty close! I'm norwegian, by the way. Playing the drums is the best way to keep yourself warm during winter up here

Sorry to all in this thread for posting my question here, I should've started a new. Thanks for all your responses - having a forum with dedicated people like you to turn to is just amazing.

Leave a comment:

• petr_drummer
    replied
    Hi there! I'm new to this forum, as I am to Pearl Mimic Pro. Sorry if I'm posting this the wrong place, but ...

I bought the Mimic some months ago and absolutely love it, more and more as I day by day figure out the settings and "how it works". I had this problem with crackling sound ("Aux to HP"), which I solved by downloading and reinstalling latest software update (as I learned from an other thread here). So that problem is now gone, I think, but after that reinstall I got this other problem. By searching the web, and this forum, I ended up in this thread.

My english is not that good, so I don't find the right words to describe what I'm hearing. But ... could it be what you call cutoffs? I attached a recording of me playing (attached mp3-file). If any of you could be so kind and just spend some seconds listening to it, you can hear this bad sounds suddenly appearing. Protect your ears! That last strike - that happens a lot. It often happens if I play snare and cymbal on the same strike. At the same time, it also happens while just playing one drum alone (cymbal, bass drum, snare, hi hat). Sometimes it totally cuts the sound, like it cuts off a cymbal sound (no sustain). It sometimes reminds me of a sound I could get on my Mac running SSD5, when overloading CPU or something (my old Mac was the problem!). The problem seems to be permanent, I mean, it doesn't seem to matter if the module is just turned on or been running for an hour or so. It can occur even if I'm playing soft strokes (not quite ghost notes, but close), not just when I'm hitting hard.

I've been trying so many different trigger settings, mixer settings, kits, instruments, you name it. I've been through software updates and resets (I have not tried to reinstall the whole library, though). None of that I've tried solves it for me. Could it be that this problem I'm having will be solved with the upcoming software update? Time will tell, I guess.

I don't expect any one here to fix it based on this little information, off course. All I wish for is that someone will say "yeah, that sounds just like what I hear on my module - and mean by cutoff". Anyone?

I have Roland pads (KD140, PD105s and 125s, CY14 and 15R, VH12) and cables, all from the TD20X (TRS-cables).

The Mimic is so close to be a perfect dream to me, I just need this thing to go away ... so I can take my e-drums out and use it for live gigs
    Well I had exact issue and even more.... What you should do to make it be fixed is.... Download factory sound library zip file from pearl official site. it consist of 7 folder, unpack it and put a common folder ( there will be 7 subfolders in common folder) with unziped files on usb flash drive. Then (Just in case... delete internal mimic's library before importing a fresh one) import s.l.from your flash. After doing this when you switch on mimic again, find a reset button in system window....tap on it. Module will ask restart. Everything should be fine after this. BTW if you don't lwant to loose all your setting for trigger presets e.t.c. Make back up before reinstalling sound library. Goodluck and don't worry, It happens. Nothing is perfect. Cheers. Let me know how all will work after. Thanks.
    PS. What country are u from?
    Last edited by petr_drummer; 05-11-19, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied

Your first module might had never configured correctly, once I told you to use pd125, sided triggers and others setting, it changed, you never done what I told you.

You will need to record video and mimic, because Sergey cannot fix things if not calibrating properly from users. It's very hard to know what is "drop out" as you described.
    I set my second module to the EXACT SAME settings to the letter as my first and experienced only a few cut offs in sound in weeks. Module one cut off constantly on toms & snare in an evening. The settings Chris described to me yesterday afternoon were specifically regarding rim cut offs. I've had the new module for weeks, and yesterday's discussion helped immensely on the rims cutting out less and I am grateful. But I'll quote myself "The biggest fix was a brand new module." Changing the presets, again this is specifically aDrums cutting out with Mimic Pro, never changed the amount of center drum cut offs. It helped with the rims. I am still working on it but it's much better than before Chris suggested PD-125 and side trigger settings. I am sticking with side trigger settings because I have side triggers. Logical. I am also playing with threshold as Chris suggested and retrigger cancel settings. I am discovering just how powerful the levels of rim articulation are and how bombastic one can get with them, it's great.

Again, a new module is what made the cut offs stop, not settings that I learned from anyone. I had the PD-128 settings on both modules. Module one cut off sound constantly. Module 2 WITH SAME SETTINGS barely cut off. I only changed the settings yesterday for the first time to try and recalibrate the rims. I hope this clears things up. I can assure you sending the first module back to Pearl was the smartest thing I could have done and was the reason the cut offs nearly stopped entirely. I will probably never stop tweaking this glorious bastard of a module. Chris your help is invaluable. But it doesn't do anyone any good believing I tweaked a few settings and all is well when I replaced the module.

I apologize for using the word drop out instead of cut off before. I want to be specific: the sound will start then abruptly cut off. The sound does not disappear. It is just as I said when I started this thread.

As a side note Mr. Boo said this is a known issue they are working on.
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 05-12-19, 04:16 PM. Reason: It would seem that some modules simply work better than others. 

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    Your first module might had never configured correctly, once I told you to use pd125, sided triggers and others setting, it changed. It's better to record audio or video at least easier to see, because Sergey cannot fix things if only calibration. It's very hard to know what is "drop out" I would suggest to stick with detect time to 3ms for a while using lower might create issue. I can have drop out easily if I set bad threshold rimshots\ rim balance on rim and center, sound will get cut or "drop out" lower volume.
    Last edited by Chris K; 05-11-19, 03:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    To clarifies things there is too much mixed and different subject on this thread.

-The atv cut off was threshold setting and preset selection pd125, sided triggers, if your rimshots threshold and rim balance is not set properly, your sound will drop to no sound, for rim and rimshots articulation will cut out, you just reach out of your value setting. Howstamychi fixed already.

-Secondly the drum sound glitch is simply library reinstall.

Distorted input: You need to use TRS cable not TS, never use phantom power you sent 48v to units, if pop\ crack, reinstall firmware v1.0.8.24.
    Chris is dead on with everything except that it must be said I had to get a new module before the cut offs almost stopped. Almost. Taking his advice made rim cut offs even better to the point that if I now get an occasional cut off center drum sound, and I have earlier today, I have enough faith in Mr. Boo and Slate that this issue will eventually disappear. But make no mistake about it, my first module eventually had more cut offs than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The problem escalated. The biggest fix was a brand new module. I'm editing here to reflect the correct and original title of this thread: ATV aDrums occasional cut off hit when paired with Mimic Pro
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 05-11-19, 04:07 PM. Reason: ATV aDrums occasional cut off hit when paired with Mimic Pro

Leave a comment:

Working...
X