Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

ATV aDrums occasional cut off hit when paired with Mimic Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV aDrums occasional cut off hit when paired with Mimic Pro

I get an occasional cut off hit when I am triggering aDrums with the Mimic Pro. Could it be x talk suppression not set correctly? Has anyone else experienced a brief cut off strike on toms or snare usually when going for one drum to the other? I'm dying to trust that I won't get misfiring. What could I be doing wrong in settings? Should I only perform on Home screen? I noticed when it happened I was on Kick drum settings and threshold was visible but I didn't touch any settings while playing and rack tom one misfired. I am a new user but fairly adept at figuring things out. I have calibrated the toms and set x talk suppression but could have done it incorrectly. Very frustrated. Otherwise a superb experience aDrums and Mimic but will return them if this keeps happening.
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 03-10-19, 01:01 AM.

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
    I get an occasional cut off hit when I am triggering aDrums with the Mimic Pro. Could it be x talk suppression not set correctly? Has anyone else experienced a brief cut off strike on toms or snare usually when going for one drum to the other? I'm dying to trust that I won't get misfiring. What could I be doing wrong in settings? Should I only perform on Home screen? I noticed when it happened I was on Kick drum settings and threshold was visible but I didn't touch any settings while playing and rack tom one misfired. I am a new user but fairly adept at figuring things out. I have calibrated the toms and set x talk suppression but could have done it incorrectly. Very frustrated. Otherwise a superb experience aDrums and Mimic but will return them if this keeps happening.
    Can't tell that it's your exact issue, but a similar looking issue will be fixed with next software release.
    I mean, don't be in hurry returning your adrums

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

Can't tell that it's your exact issue, but a similar looking issue will be fixed with next software release.
      I mean, don't be in hurry returning your adrums
      Thanks so much for letting me know. I Will keep the aDrums and wait for the update. Thanks again. You made my week.

Comment

I have the same combo and really love both! I have a similiar Issue from time to time. Good to hear that this will be fixed!
        ATV aDrums with a Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0

Comment

I get something similar on the snare if I do a lot of rudimental playing - flams in particular will randomly drop the accent note. Not sure if that's the same issue or just my settings.
          Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

If it's often on 5min playing it's setting, if it's more 2-3 in hour it might be firmware, but most of these things are threshold setting too low\ too high, and too much input gain. I helped one 2 days ago all fixed after resetting and redoing calibration. Atv snare and toms was misstriggering often. Also not even head low tension can cause issue with 3 cones formation.There was few rare case atv needed for replacement.
            Last edited by Chris K; 03-11-19, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Hello Guys,

I have that combo (ATV adrums kit with Mimic) and its working fine. No mistrigerings or cut-offs. Mr Boo said that a similar issue will be fixed next software release, so I imagine that atv pads will work even smoother with Mimic.
              I am not an expert in Mimic, but I am very happy with my settings.
              So if you want a little advise (or just my experiences with it), here you go, I have some suggestions (please take each one of them as very important, even looking a little dumb):

1) Make sure that the heads of the pads are even. I have got better results with a tight tensioning (exception the bass drum and floor toms, they are better not so tight).

2) Read the manual. Mimic is a very powerful module and it has a lot of options for several brands, so its very important to understand what you are doing. I have read the manual 4 or 5 times - drums are very important to me and its imperative to fully understand the manual.

3) I have for toms and snare, the trigger setting as R-PD-128.

4) Fully understand the TRIGGER tab in the Mimic. I remember I had to adjust (for my playing type), the Threshold and Rimshot Threshold in Center-Piezo tab, and the Head/Rim balance and Rimshot threshold in RIm-Piezo Tab. VERY IMPORTANT: Adjust Threshold value before setting up the Input Gain (as it is in pad 26 in the manual). I have followed the instructions in page 34 (Setting up a Pad with the Miic Pro), and now I have very good results, I am happy with it.

I hope this can help.
              You can check my playing in my kit in this video, maybe it can give you guys some inspiration in setting properly the pads! And I hope its just a matter of setting and not some physical trigger failure. In my case it was just settings.

https://www.vdrums.com/search?q=dont...+with+me%22%7D

Regards,
              Last edited by Tred; 03-11-19, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tred View Post
                Hello Guys,

I have that combo (ATV adrums kit with Mimic) and its working fine. No mistrigerings or cut-offs. Mr Boo said that a similar issue will be fixed next software release, so I imagine that atv pads will work even smoother with Mimic.
                I am not an expert in Mimic, but I am very happy with my settings.
                So if you want a little advise (or just my experiences with it), here you go, I have some suggestions (please take each one of them as very important, even looking a little dumb):

1) Make sure that the heads of the pads are even. I have got better results with a tight tensioning (exception the bass drum and floor toms, they are better not so tight).

2) Read the manual. Mimic is a very powerful module and it has a lot of options for several brands, so its very important to understand what you are doing. I have read the manual 4 or 5 times - drums are very important to me and its imperative to fully understand the manual.

3) I have for toms and snare, the trigger setting as R-PD-128.

4) Fully understand the TRIGGER tab in the Mimic. I remember I had to adjust (for my playing type), the Threshold and Rimshot Threshold in Center-Piezo tab, and the Head/Rim balance and Rimshot threshold in RIm-Piezo Tab. VERY IMPORTANT: Adjust Threshold value before setting up the Input Gain (as it is in pad 26 in the manual). I have followed the instructions in page 34 (Setting up a Pad with the Miic Pro), and now I have very good results, I am happy with it.

I hope this can help.
                You can check my playing in my kit in this video, maybe it can give you guys some inspiration in setting properly the pads! And I hope its just a matter of setting and not some physical trigger failure. In my case it was just settings.

https://www.vdrums.com/search?q=dont...+with+me%22%7D

Regards,
                Tred first of all your playing is superb and it's a great track. Thanks so much for your advice I will read the manual again paying attention to page 26 and 34 in particular

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                  If it's often on 5min playing it's setting, if it's more 2-3 in hour it might be firmware, but most of these things are threshold setting too low\ too high, and too much input gain. I helped one 2 days ago all fixed after resetting and redoing calibration. Atv snare and toms was misstriggering often. Also not even head low tension can cause issue with 3 cones formation.There was few rare case atv needed for replacement.
                  Thanks Chris!

Comment

I had this problem with my last Mimic Pro module before Pearl told me to have Sweetwater exchange it. First they tried to blame it on the Roland cables, and said Hosa cables were fine. Pro tip: Hosa makes both.

The new module seems to be working better, but the distorted input channel is still a problem. To be frank, had they not told me they were fixing it in a software patch (due "very soon), I would have asked sweetwater if I could just return this thing and buy something else entirely. I've had nothing but problems with mine since I got it. I'm still worried the drop outs are going to come back, though. It was fine when I first got the other one, and it slowly got worse.

Comment

yyrrr
                      Last edited by petr_drummer; 04-10-19, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petr_drummer View Post
                        I also have this problem with cutting off the sound on mimic pro.It makes me feel bit nervious cause' Im hearing /this/ everyday. Mr.Bo says they work on solution. Let's hope it will be fixed. Untill then it's kind of frustrating.
                        Thanks for chiming in on this. The cut offs are a daily occurrence for me and clearly a widespread issue at this point. ATV was phenomenal and took two returns only to have them test perfectly with the aD5. They are well aware of the cut off issue now being a Mimic module issue. The ATV customer service I received from Gerard and co. in Europe, and Scott and co. in the U.S. was stellar. My aDrum triggers are fine, they always were. I got the note a little too late from Mr. Boo about the software update and went bananas when the cut offs occurred (after spending a small fortune on Mimic and aDrums) assuming it must be bad triggers as I had done everything to set up the aDrums correctly, read the manual, reconfigured, did all the x talk suppression and only two drums misfired with the cutoff. When I did get my aDrums replaced and reset up and was aware the Mimic was misfiring and all the aDrums were randomly cutting off, I was depressed and didn't want to play at all. Now I'm living with it waiting for the update.

And It's why I have made the decision not to play them live as I'd be horrified at the prospect of this happening in front of a crowd especially when I'd be so proud to have a smooth performance and brag about the Mimic/aDrums combo. Truly I expected nothing less than to be an excited boasting ass when I purchased everything. I still kind of am but I'd like to be that with total confidence and no sheepishness thanks to a trustworthy e kit. I still doubt the vast majority of our audience would suspect with the aDrums and Mimic I was playing anything other than an acoustic kit until the inevitable cut off Tom, snare, rim click, etc. That would not only be embarrassing but I'd lose the gig.

All this said I have total confidence in Mr. Boo. He is part of the reason I got the module. Both the dedication and work he and his team have already put in and are still implementing into the Mimic and the stunning quality of the module when it performs without issue are amazing. Trust is a hard thing to come by these days but I trust Slate and ATV. The equipment is too beautiful and sonically exhilarating not to get that software/firmware fix. I'm still in 100%.

Comment

This is interesting. I am still having trouble with my ATV hihat (over a year now). I had a session with Pearl to try and get a clean sound, but it just will not. There are moments when it responds as you'd expect a real hihat to do.

The technician I worked with said I may have a faulty controller But now I don't know. I was prepared to contact ATV for further resolution, but this causes pause.

Some of the Vets on this forum seem to have figured out how to dial it in (at least to their taste). I've tried the suggestions and a few kind members have sent me their config file. Still no success. As I read, there are a number of us who are struggling to get it right. So is it software, hardware, or configuration? These two pieces of equipment are too expensive to have this issue.

I can say Mimic works great with everything else. Someone with more wisdom please weigh in.
                          Last edited by Six; 04-10-19, 06:01 AM.

Comment

+1 experienced this for the first time last week with Roland pads. Strangely unpredictable cut off happened two, maybe three times during a set. Not enough to be catastrophic, just a little disconcerting. Glad to hear it's not just my unit and it sounds like it is understood so can in theory be fixed with a patch. Looking forward to the update.

echoing the post above, on balance I still think I'd rather have 2,000 awesome sounding hits and two premature cut off to 2002 average sounding hits on a different module.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post
                              This is interesting. I am still having trouble with my ATV hihat (over a year now). I had a session with Pearl to try and get a clean sound, but it just will not. There are moments when it responds as you'd expect a real hihat to do.

The technician I worked with said I may have a faulty controller But now I don't know. I was prepared to contact ATV for further resolution, but this causes pause.

Some of the Vets on this forum seem to have figured out how to dial it in (at least to their taste). I've tried the suggestions and a few kind members have sent me their config file. Still no success. As I read, there are a number of us who are struggling to get it right. So is it software, hardware, or configuration? These two pieces of equipment are too expensive to have this issue.

I can say Mimic works great with everything else. Someone with more wisdom please weigh in.
                              don't you think that it is very hard to discuss such a complex thing like a hihat without good explanation what is exactly not ok for you, with sound examples, settings photos etc.
                              It's like asking something like "hey my car is not working sometimes - Someone with more wisdom please weigh in."

PS I had reports (documented with photos) about faulty ATV hihat controllers. So everything could happen.

PPS there are FB groups full of users who can help. It is much easier to post photos in FB for example
                              Last edited by Mr.Boo; 04-10-19, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X