Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD-6v midi out issue, found "solution" but not sure what they mean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-6v midi out issue, found "solution" but not sure what they mean

using a midi to usb interface to connect my roland td-6v to my laptop to try and trigger SSD5 in tracktion

the cable has lights on it to indicate if the connection is working, midi in and the usb both light up and seem to be working, the midi out light does not

found this forum post link of someone who was having the same issue who says they resolved it by

I emailed Roland's support and they said that there was no setting to turn MIDI out off, so they had me do a check to test it within the head (creating a loop from out to in) and it worked. So I hooked it back up to the computer and - lo and behold - it seems fine now. Very weird, but good to see.

does anyone understand what this person means by this? i have no idea what they mean "to create a loop from out to in". if they mean just plugging a regular midi cable into both the midi in and midi out, i don't see why that would help but i've tried it and it didn't do anything.

edits to for formatting.
    Last edited by winterson; 03-04-19, 01:20 PM.
    Roland TD-6v all mesh, kick swapped for KD-85 mesh with iron cobra 900 double pedal, added pintech and yamaha cymbals with drum splitters, and swapped CY-5 hi-hat (now using as cymbal) for an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. using free trial versions of GGD, BFD3, SSD5 VST and MTpowerdrumkit.

If you turn local off in the settings it splits the trigger in midi from the internal sound module/generator. If you then plug midi out to midi in the module send midi out when you hit a pad and this is fed to the internal sound module via the midi in. So turning local off breaks the internal link and the cable restores it. So this test proves the module is sending midi.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

mkok,
      Great answer.

Comment

maybe my cable's a lemon. might go to long and mcquade tonight and see if they can try it in something else and see if it works
        Roland TD-6v all mesh, kick swapped for KD-85 mesh with iron cobra 900 double pedal, added pintech and yamaha cymbals with drum splitters, and swapped CY-5 hi-hat (now using as cymbal) for an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. using free trial versions of GGD, BFD3, SSD5 VST and MTpowerdrumkit.

Comment

Working...
        X