Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

VH-11 Problem : Edge not triggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH-11 Problem : Edge not triggering

Hello
    I just bought a VH-11 (second hand) but the rim (edge) is not triggering, when i hit on the edge, the tip (center) is registered
    I asked the guy I bought the cymbal about this issue and he told it always acted like that from day, so he thought the VH11 was a 1 zone pad

I opened the Cymbal and I could find 2 triggers, 1 piezo glued underneath that works perfectly fine, this one is for the tip zone I guess.
    And there is this other trigger for the edge, a long metallic band. This one does not work at all.

I don't know what's broken, is the band broken, even if it looks perfectly fine, or is it on of the PCB boards that is malfunctioning ?
    I'm new to this

Here are some pictures

If anyone can help
    Thank you
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

I have the same problem, it's either the pcb, cable or jack input.
    Last edited by Chris K; 02-11-19, 11:09 PM.

Comment

You can try carefully reseating the connector of the edge connecter: 1st picture, carefully lift the small strip to release the connector. Perhaps clean with a bit of alcohol, reseat and press the strip down again.
      E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
      A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
      TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

With a multimeter set to test continuity, touch the probes on the protruding metal parts of the black and brown wires on the edge board and press the edge ribbon. If there's no continuity the edge sensor is dead. If there is, now check for continuity between the black and brown wires and sleeve and ring of the input jack (try different combinations because I don't know the corresponding connections). Lastly, plug in a cable and touching the probes on ring and sleeve, press the ribbon. These tests should tell you where the connection is failing.

Comment

These Cymbals are Piezo/Switch Type.
          When you hit the pad, head or rim, the Piezo senses the hit.
          When you hit the rim, the long metallic band acts as a switch and is closed.
          When the Piezo senses the hit, and the rim switch is open, it is detected as a bow hit.
          When the Piezo senses the hit, and the rim switch is closed, it is detected as an edge hit.
          Therefore, it is most likely that the switch is not closing properly when the edge is hit.

Comment

Working...
          X