• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris K
    replied
    Here is the story from Jman (Jerry):

Sometimes things get all Jacked Up!

I thought I would put this in writing. There is a problem that I discovered many years back between 1/4" TRS Jacks and Plugs when mixing brands. One specific example is Neutrik brand jacks and Hosa plugs. They just don't match up perfectly all the time. It is not every time, but it does happen. I started sending a tiny O-ring (008 is the size) with my Drum Conversion kits many years back when I discovered that. By putting that tiny O-Ring on the Hosa plug it keeps the Hosa plug from going in Too far which will cause all kinds of trigger problems, like not triggering rim when expected on a Piezo/Piezo pad, or triggering rimshot on head ..... general triggering SNAFUs!
    Now If you use a Neutrik 1/4" TRS Plug with a non Neutrik type cymbal jack .... like my own Stealth cymbal jacks for example and some other brands too .... Well that just doesn't work at all because the misalignment will prevent the cymbal from triggering at all, or at least will stop triggering due to the vibration while playing. The tip of the plug does not extend far enough into the jack to allow a proper solid connection that locks in.
    I discovered these Mis-match/mal-alignment problems back in 2006 when I had built a custom Stealth DW kit with Smartrigger cymbals for a very active corporate entertainment band. I originally set the kit up with Hosa cables and all was working great. They had a whole set of heavy duty custom cables built and used Neutrik plugs .... The drums were working fine, but all of a sudden cymbals just weren't working.... Figured it out then.
    Many of the deep panel jacks like are used in A to E conversions including my own fit into this post. They may not be Neutrik brand, but are the same. If using Hosa cables you "might" need the O-ring, Neutrik TRS plugs fit fine.
    I attached some pics of a few Neutrik 1/4" plugs and jacks and the Hosa 1/4" TRS cables many of us Edrummers are already familiar with as they do come with most edrums. The O-Ring I mentioned is the 008 size.

Symptoms is: Sometime it works perfect, and after they don't works in random from vibration output of the cymbal\ triggers, TIPS of the jack move slightly from the physical triggers jack, mis-match in 1/4" plugs and jacks combos. BTW, this happened with Tim M with his ex strike module, when using hossa, he only got issue. Same problem with 2box as well and Roland module with x cable combos on TRS\JACK triggers. Issue is in your own physical triggers jack input, tips could move slightly. https://www.amazon.com/008-Buna-N-Ri...nAVLTSzpTnJrsE
    60626579_2630617680301155_1461153758204395520_n.jpg60892051_2630617273634529_8751711385676677120_n.jpg60962469_2630617183634538_7349990487266164736_n.jpg60629385_2630615430301380_6411784353520549888_n.jpg
    Last edited by Chris K; 08-14-19, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EssKayKay
    replied
    Use a mix of Hosa. Monoprice, and home-made - TRS cables. All work fine.

Leave a comment:

• thebigzw
    replied
    It's funny because I'd never heard of the long/short Jack issue, but I just ran into with some input jacks I got for a guitar. Thankfully I had just read this thread so the fix was no problem

Leave a comment:

• RIneuron
    replied
    Originally posted by jay888bee View Post
    Thanks Rineuron. They look pretty good actually. Any triggering issues?
    No problems

Leave a comment:

• purpledc
    replied
    I don't have any triggering issues with the drum-tec clear cables. IMHO they have a cool look on any kit. But they will definitely stand out against a black kit more but still look great doing it. They don't have any issues with not triggering or having to be used with O rings. The only Issue I have ever had is that I broke a couple of the shorter length units being really rough with a knotted up ball of cables and instead of being a logical human about it I went full cro mag and just got my caveman on. In other words any trigger cable would have broke. Another thing I really like about them is that the are light weight. And the straight ends are shorter than most. So they don't have as much weight or leverage putting undue stress on your input jacks.

Leave a comment:

• jay888bee
    replied
    Thanks Rineuron. They look pretty good actually. Any triggering issues?

Leave a comment:

• RIneuron
    replied
    Originally posted by jay888bee View Post
    Hi guys, Iím just in the process of swapping my AD5 for a Pearl Mimic Pro. I noticed the Drum Tec cables only come in transparent. Does anybody have these with the adrums? If so how does the cable look with a black kit? If anyone can recommend any TRS cables here in the UK then I would be grateful. Iím just a bit mindful of the fact that several people have had issues with the Drum Tec ones! Many thanks as always.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jay888bee
    replied
    Hi guys, Iím just in the process of swapping my AD5 for a Pearl Mimic Pro. I noticed the Drum Tec cables only come in transparent. Does anybody have these with the adrums? If so how does the cable look with a black kit? If anyone can recommend any TRS cables here in the UK then I would be grateful. Iím just a bit mindful of the fact that several people have had issues with the Drum Tec ones! Many thanks as always.

Leave a comment:

• FlayOtters
    replied
    Thanks again for the additional perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Roving Drummer
    replied
    I Agree with not spending a ton on cables. I use a mix of old and new cheap cables. the ones Chris provided above are in the mix. They all do what they're supposed to. no issues. But I will add that I don't move my kit much. If you're plugging and unplugging all the time, maybe there's something to that.

Leave a comment:

• soccerdude84
    replied
    Don't spend a fortune on cables, it will not matter. I use cheap Hosa cables and never had to replace them.

Leave a comment:

• molson
    replied
    Originally posted by RIneuron View Post
    While I believe the reports, I have experienced no problems with the Drum Tec set which are precut to the correct lengths for a typical three Tom, ride, two crash setup.
    That's the set I have also and 2 of my cables suffer from this issue.

Leave a comment:

• RIneuron
    replied
    While I believe the reports, I have experienced no problems with the Drum Tec set which are precut to the correct lengths for a typical three Tom, ride, two crash setup.

Leave a comment:

• jammin777
    replied
    my roland cables gave me issues but they are from the td20bk kit i bought in 2006... Jman is the one that recommended using o rings 3/16 ID 5/16 OD and they work fine now with zero issues.
    before i got the o rings i tried not to push them all the way in but still had miss trigger issues.
    the older roland cables plugs that i have are a bit longer than some of the others hence is why the problems. possibly because they were made in china?
    the mimic pro has high quality jacks

BTW i also had to use o rings on my DIY drum trigger jacks as well as the are made in the USA. if i remember right, i think that's the issue Jman had was the DIY drum trigger jacks.

Leave a comment:

• EssKayKay
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris K View Post
    Hi,
    I use these they works great and probably the best price in the net you need strait to angled TRS.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Rockville...UAAOSw5cRZLMpP
    I made most of my cables myself and they work fine but this sounds like a really good deal. Had I been aware of this I would have jumped on this. Thanks Chris for the suggestion and link - should be useful and very helpful for anybody now in the market for cables.
    Last edited by EssKayKay; 01-12-19, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X