Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Best Trigger Cables for Mimic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Trigger Cables for Mimic

Title says it all. And I am US based.
    I searched the forum and found a lot complaints about certain brands, and issues with various cables and O ring solutions, but nowhere did one of you knowledgeable and helpful folks just say: "Buy X cables, they are the best and a great price. You can't go wrong".
    I know they should be TRS and it helps to have an angled jack on one end, but otherwise I have no idea. And I would like to avoid having to post my issues in six weeks and have people tell me I bought sucky cables
    Oh, and I do not have the time or the skill to make my own, just want to buy cables and be happy.
    Thanks in advance!

Honestly, I've had no problem with any decent quality cable. I'm still using old TD-30 [clear] cables just fine.

Maybe it's the black ones that are an issue? I don't have any of those any longer to test.

As for brand name, I've had no issues with any Hosa cables either.

I think the main issue is many people aren't pushing them in all the way. They have to "click".

Honestly, the o-ring thing makes no sense to me. I have those same cables, and I don't need any o-ring.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi,
      I use these they works great and probably the best price in the net you need strait to angled TRS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Rockville...UAAOSw5cRZLMpP

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

Honestly, the o-ring thing makes no sense to me. I have those same cables, and I don't need any o-ring.
      Some jack tips have longer end cause not triggering or mis triggering, there is one long cable at drumtech not working with mimic, 2 person reported, molson here and another one I know, and early older Roland cable the same.
      Last edited by Chris K; 01-12-19, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
        Hi,
        Some jack tips have longer end cause not triggering or mis triggering, there is one long cable at drumtech not working with mimic, 2 person reported, molson here and another one I know, and early older Roland cable the same.
        I would think you could just twist it out a hair until the contact groove seats in the tip. Guess not.
        Alan
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
            Hi,
            I use these they works great and probably the best price in the net you need strait to angled TRS.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Rockville...UAAOSw5cRZLMpP
            I made most of my cables myself and they work fine but this sounds like a really good deal. Had I been aware of this I would have jumped on this. Thanks Chris for the suggestion and link - should be useful and very helpful for anybody now in the market for cables.
            Last edited by EssKayKay; 01-12-19, 09:34 PM.

Comment

my roland cables gave me issues but they are from the td20bk kit i bought in 2006... Jman is the one that recommended using o rings 3/16 ID 5/16 OD and they work fine now with zero issues.
              before i got the o rings i tried not to push them all the way in but still had miss trigger issues.
              the older roland cables plugs that i have are a bit longer than some of the others hence is why the problems. possibly because they were made in china?
              the mimic pro has high quality jacks

BTW i also had to use o rings on my DIY drum trigger jacks as well as the are made in the USA. if i remember right, i think that's the issue Jman had was the DIY drum trigger jacks.
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

While I believe the reports, I have experienced no problems with the Drum Tec set which are precut to the correct lengths for a typical three Tom, ride, two crash setup.
                ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

Originally posted by RIneuron View Post
                  While I believe the reports, I have experienced no problems with the Drum Tec set which are precut to the correct lengths for a typical three Tom, ride, two crash setup.
                  That's the set I have also and 2 of my cables suffer from this issue.
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Don't spend a fortune on cables, it will not matter. I use cheap Hosa cables and never had to replace them.
                    Dual Alesis Module Drum Set (DM10(BlueJay)+DM8+Trigger iO), Dual Layer Tennis Ball Drum Riser
                    Shure SE215 IEM's, Simmons DA50 Amp, Alto Professional ZMX862 Mixer, Tama SpeedCobra Pedals, Vic Firth 7AN Sticks, Roc-N-Soc Original Throne

Comment

I Agree with not spending a ton on cables. I use a mix of old and new cheap cables. the ones Chris provided above are in the mix. They all do what they're supposed to. no issues. But I will add that I don't move my kit much. If you're plugging and unplugging all the time, maybe there's something to that.
                      Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                      Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Thanks again for the additional perspective.

Comment

Hi guys, Iím just in the process of swapping my AD5 for a Pearl Mimic Pro. I noticed the Drum Tec cables only come in transparent. Does anybody have these with the adrums? If so how does the cable look with a black kit? If anyone can recommend any TRS cables here in the UK then I would be grateful. Iím just a bit mindful of the fact that several people have had issues with the Drum Tec ones! Many thanks as always.

Comment

Originally posted by jay888bee View Post
                            Hi guys, Iím just in the process of swapping my AD5 for a Pearl Mimic Pro. I noticed the Drum Tec cables only come in transparent. Does anybody have these with the adrums? If so how does the cable look with a black kit? If anyone can recommend any TRS cables here in the UK then I would be grateful. Iím just a bit mindful of the fact that several people have had issues with the Drum Tec ones! Many thanks as always.

Attached Files
                            ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

Thanks Rineuron. They look pretty good actually. Any triggering issues?

Comment

Working...
                              X