Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

The Technical forum is for soft/hardware technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

PD-105BK Mesh Pad (snare) not sensitive enough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-105BK Mesh Pad (snare) not sensitive enough

I have a TD-9KX2 kit I've recently picked up with a PD-105BK snare pad and PD-85BK toms.

The PD-105BK snare is not triggering when struck with sensitive shots. The toms are triggerring just fine.

As an example, I can drum my fingers lightly on the skins of the toms and they trigger quietly, but the snare just won't.

I've looked in the settings on the brain and set the snare to match the toms for sensitivity, threshold etc for both the main drum and the rims. That hasn't helped.

Similarly, I've followed the owners manual for adjusting the head tension. It's actually *worse* with the head tension adjusted as described by the owners manual. I had to loosen the tension somewhat to get it to trigger again with what I would consider to be a medium intensity hit. In addition, I noticed that I need to strike the snare towards the center of the pad, but the toms will trigger more or less anywhere.

What can I do? Have I simply bought a dud or broken pad, or is there something else I can try to get it working as it should?

check the black cone, if any sign of damage [over used], you can replace them for under $20.

Comment

Did u change the pad type to a pd-105 in the module?
      Roland TD-25KV, Extra Cymbal, VEX RECORDS, Drum-tec real feel heads. DW 9002 and DW 9500, Vater Sugar Maple Sticks
      Roland RH-300V headphones..... 20 years of playing.... I still suck........

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
        check the black cone, if any sign of damage [over used], you can replace them for under $20.
        I agree here. Pull the head off and examine the cone. If the cone looks fine check to make sure the top of the cone is just a fraction above the edge of the rim. It needs to be in constant contact with the head.

From the description of your symptoms my guess is the height of the cone is just a little too low. This is why looser is better. It allowed the head to flex down to the cone when you hit in the center of the head but when you tightened it the head no longer had the flex.

The cone not being in constant contact with the head would also explain when light taps are not picked up.

​​​​​​
        TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - very helpful.

I do have a couple of further questions though.

Presumably I can't change the height of the cone? Obviously I don't have another snare pad to compare to, but I compared to one of my toms and the cone does look a little different. I can confirm that it's probably only a few mm too short. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is it simply a case of replacing the cone? Where can I buy another cone?

Comment

there is/are cone sale on ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+cone&_sacat=0

Comment

[QUOTE=sirkent;n1202843]Thanks for the advice - very helpful.

I do have a couple of further questions though.

Presumably I can't change the height of the cone? Obviously I don't have another snare pad to compare to, but I compared to one of my toms and the cone does look a little different. I can confirm that it's probably only a few mm too short. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is it simply a case of replacing the cone? Where can I buy another cone?[/QUOTE

first pull the mesh head off and use a straight edge or level and place it on the bearing edge next to the cone tip, the cone should be 1/16 to 1/8" above the bearing shell edge. if you need to raise it a bit, try removing the trigger plate and place a thin washer between the trigger plate and trigger basket.
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
              X