Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

The Technical forum is for soft/hardware technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Mimic issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic issues

I've had the Mimic for a couple of weeks now and it is even more than I'd hoped for! Loving it! However, there are a couple of niggly issues that I was hoping that someone could help me with:

1) When I plug the module into a PA amp using a good quality TRS cable, I get some strange high pitched electrical noises that correspond to what is being displayed on the Mimic's display. Both the Mimic and the amp are plugged into the same plug socket.

2) I'm also getting strange bass drum triggering issues, which have only started a couple of days ago. The bass drum used to trigger perfectly but now if I play steady, consistently loud beats, the Mimic will occasionally play some beats at a low volume. This seemed to start happening after I did the crosstalk settings for the first time. I can see that the triggering volume is correct in the trigger settings page. I have tried a Roland kick instead and that works properly. I have also tried plugging my kick into my old Roland TD8, and that works perfectly too. I have also tried a full factory reset and adjusted everything I can think of, but no joy. This is really perplexing and I'm running out of ideas!

Originally posted by Flam-a-diddle View Post
    I've had the Mimic for a couple of weeks now and it is even more than I'd hoped for! Loving it! However, there are a couple of niggly issues that I was hoping that someone could help me with:

1) When I plug the module into a PA amp using a good quality TRS cable, I get some strange high pitched electrical noises that correspond to what is being displayed on the Mimic's display. Both the Mimic and the amp are plugged into the same plug socket.

2) I'm also getting strange bass drum triggering issues, which have only started a couple of days ago. The bass drum used to trigger perfectly but now if I play steady, consistently loud beats, the Mimic will occasionally play some beats at a low volume. This seemed to start happening after I did the crosstalk settings for the first time. I can see that the triggering volume is correct in the trigger settings page. I have tried a Roland kick instead and that works properly. I have also tried plugging my kick into my old Roland TD8, and that works perfectly too. I have also tried a full factory reset and adjusted everything I can think of, but no joy. This is really perplexing and I'm running out of ideas!
    What is the bass drum used that have recently have issue? since the Roland kick works, could be only setting, if acoustic triggers on a kick or DIY could be related to detect time as well.

I would not plugs PA on the same socket with a module, PA can overcharge power and can have interference, ground noise etc. I would recommend to use power-surge with filter like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...et-power-strip

Also I would reinstall firmware v1.0.8
    Last edited by Chris K; 01-03-19, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

What is the bass drum used that have recently have issue? since the Roland kick works, could be only setting, if acoustic triggers on a kick our DIY could be related to detect time as well.

I would not plugs PA on the same socket with a module, PA can overcharge power and can have interference, ground noise etc. I would recommend to use power-surge with filter like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...et-power-strip

Thanks Chris, I'll give your suggestions a try. I've got a Jobeky kit, it's an acoustic kit with internal triggers.

Comment

About the interference issue, I agree with Chris that you should try a different Outlet or a ground Loop interference filter. That should clear it up.

Your Kick Drum issue definitely seems like a trigger setting that needs some adjustment. First, I would make sure the head is sufficiently dampened so it's not vibrating too freely. For most DIY kick triggers, which yours resembles , I would increase the retrigger cancel time a bit to avoid unwanted kick flams and shorten the mask time as well. Your current settings could be forcing the module to mask a wanted hit when it thinks it is not wanted.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Hi!

Wild guess...Are you using Roland or ATV hi-hat with your Mimic? If ATV...there could be interference from the ATV PSU...

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
          Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
            About the interference issue, I agree with Chris that you should try a different Outlet or a ground Loop interference filter. That should clear it up.

Your Kick Drum issue definitely seems like a trigger setting that needs some adjustment. First, I would make sure the head is sufficiently dampened so it's not vibrating too freely. For most DIY kick triggers, which yours resembles , I would increase the retrigger cancel time a bit to avoid unwanted kick flams and shorten the mask time as well. Your current settings could be forcing the module to mask a wanted hit when it thinks it is not wanted.
            Thanks. I tried a different outlet but that had no effect unfortunately.

I also tried your suggestions with the retrigger time but also had no luck! The kick just seems consistently bad now, no matter what I try, which is odd because it worked perfectly beforehand! I think my next option is to try re installing the firmware. I'm away from my kit for a couple of days now so will need to try next week.

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
              Hi!

Wild guess...Are you using Roland or ATV hi-hat with your Mimic? If ATV...there could be interference from the ATV PSU...

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
              An ATV hat. I tried unplugging the PSU but I'm still hearing the interference.

Comment

An ATV hat. I tried unplugging the PSU but I'm still hearing the interference.
                Good to know. Just one more for my one knowledge...if you test to take out the hi-hat control cable from ATV hh which goes to the Mimic...

Anders / www.zourman.com
                Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Thanks. I tried a different outlet but that had no effect unfortunately.

I also tried your suggestions with the retrigger time but also had no luck! The kick just seems consistently bad now, no matter what I try, which is odd because it worked perfectly beforehand! I think my next option is to try re installing the firmware. I'm away from my kit for a couple of days now so will need to try next week.
                  Try detect time to 4ms, and recalibrate from scratch, crosstalk supression always at the end you do this, but It might your jobeky trigger have somethings I have seen issue with jobeky trigger soldering\sensor many time. Since your Roland kick works, going by elimination.

Concerning noise, reinstall latest v1.0.8.24 firmware and see, if still noise plugs mimic outside your amplifier.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 01-04-19, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Try detect time to 4ms, and recalibrate from scratch, crosstalk supression always at the end you do this, but It might your jobeky trigger have somethings I have seen issue with jobeky trigger soldering\sensor many time. Since your Roland kick works, going by elimination.

Concerning noise, reinstall flatest v1.0.8.24 firmware and see, if still noise plugs mimic outside your amplifier.
                    I did try increasing the detect time with no success but I'll try your suggestions in a couple of days once I get back to my kit. The strange thing is that the Mimic is receiving a max velocity signal from the trigger (you can see this in the max volume setting window), but it decides to play a low velocity hit. This happens occasionally (about 1 in 8) when striking the kick at full velocity, say about once a second.

Comment

Set the kick trigger threshold higher, that should help.
                      As for a hum - if your amp has unbalanced input, the only thing that would help is a DI box

PS in case if you would like to spend some time doing some tests for me I'll probably can help you - please contact me on mimic FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MimicPRO/ , I'm Sergey, an admin there
                      Last edited by Mr.Boo; 01-04-19, 07:07 AM.

Comment

A DI box sorted the interference noise, thanks Sergey!

Comment

What is the bass drum used that have recently have issue? since the Roland kick works, could be only setting, if acoustic triggers on a kick or DIY could be related to detect time as well.

Even though it ended up not being the fix to your problem it's still a good idea to run a decent power conditioner or surge protected strip ahead of your Mimic. I actually use a battery backup in my rig since suddenly power loss shutdowns can corrupt memory. Amazon basics make relatively cheap and light ones now too.
                          Roland TD -12 & Korg Electribe ESX with a custom configuration of Roland pads, Gibralter rack, DW 5000 pedals, Macbook Pro, 1 titanium reinforced Tibia and a very ugly disposition.

Comment

I did try increasing the detect time with no success but I'll try your suggestions in a couple of days once I get back to my kit. The strange thing is that the Mimic is receiving a max velocity signal from the trigger (you can see this in the max volume setting window), but it decides to play a low velocity hit. This happens occasionally (about 1 in 8) when striking the kick at full velocity, say about once a second.
                            I'm having the same issue. Happens with both my KD140 and an RT30K on a 22" kick. Yes, separate settings for both trigger types. I'm going to try using an aux and assigning it a kick and see if it still happens.
                            Last edited by Moo; 01-17-19, 09:12 AM.
                            Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

This will be fixed in the next update.

Comment

Working...
                              X