ATV aD5 initial setup on A2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV aD5 initial setup on A2E

Looking for some guidance on how to go about setting up trigger settings on the aD5 with my A2E kit. Let me start with my kit configuration.

Cymbals - all from the TD-25KV kit
    VH-11
    CY-12C x 2
    CY-13R

Shell pack - Mapex Horizon
    10", 12", 16" toms
    22" bass drum
    14" snare

Triggers
    Bass drum - UfoDrums eBridge with drum beater pillow.
    Toms - Triggera InTriggs in single zone mode
    Snare - Triggera InTrigg in dual zone mode

Brand new aD5 arrived this week. Took it out of the box. Firmware version is 1.33 so it's up to date. Went immediately to the Trigger Setup Wizard. Set the cymbals to their Roland models and set them up. For the toms I set the pad type to PD-8. For the snare I used PDX-100 and for the kick I used RT Mesh Kick.

Question 1 - when doing the 3 soft taps and 3 hard hits do you hit the hard hits right over the piezo or where you normally play the drum? In other words since I'm using InTriggs they are side mounted. Where do you hit the hardest hits?

Question 2 - what does the hardest hits set in the module? In other words - what if I hold back a little vs hit as hard as possible, what will I experience when actually playing the drum?

I had a very hard time with the bass drum. I tried multiple different pad types and kept getting a lot of double hits, etc. When I switched to the RT Mesh Kick pad type, the double hits went away, so I think this is the right trigger type, but I'm willing to experiment more. The Retrigger Cancel option was non active, which I thought was interesting.

However, I had to max out the sensitivity to get the hard bass drum hits to reach the top of the hit graph. Even with the bass drum maxed out and all of the other pads at the correct sensitivity, when I play a kit, I can barely hear the bass drum - it's sooooo weak. So, I went in to the level settings and set all of the cymbals down around 55 - 60 and bass drum at 100 to keep the sounds about even.

Question 3 - for those of you with an A2E and the aD5, does this sound anywhere normal to you?

Any other suggestions on how best to setup my A2E?

Many thanks!
    ATV aD5, TD-25KV cymbals, Mapex Horizon Blue Sparkle shells A2E w/Triggera InTriggs.Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

When doing trigger wizard donít over hit your hardest hit or it will be all that more difficult to reach max velocity. Also, stay away from the piezos, hit where you would normally strike the drum. For the lightest hit I will tap the drum just enough for the module to register the hit. After doing the wizard I will go into the pad settings and see if the shot meter matches to my lightest and hardest hits. You can then make fine tune adjustments by manually tweaking the sensitivity, threshold and curve settings.

I suggest you study the manual and really understand what each setting does and then learn through trial and error. It will take you a few times to figure out what works best for you. Once you get the triggers tweaked to your playing style the aD5 is a pure joy to play.
    ATV aDrums, aD5, Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
      When doing trigger wizard donít over hit your hardest hit or it will be all that more difficult to reach max velocity. Also, stay away from the piezos, hit where you would normally strike the drum. For the lightest hit I will tap the drum just enough for the module to register the hit. After doing the wizard I will go into the pad settings and see if the shot meter matches to my lightest and hardest hits. You can then make fine tune adjustments by manually tweaking the sensitivity, threshold and curve settings.
      That makes sense. Once I did the Trigger Setup Wizard I did exactly as you mention (not my first go around with the aD5 but that's another story) and level set everything sensitivity wise.

One of my main questions is that even with everything level set, the bass drum is really weak. So much so that I have to lower the mixer levels of all the drums and cymbals to around 60 and keep the bass drum at 100 to make it sound even. And I wanted to know if others see the same thing.

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
      I suggest you study the manual and really understand what each setting does and then learn through trial and error. It will take you a few times to figure out what works best for you. Once you get the triggers tweaked to your playing style the aD5 is a pure joy to play.
      Yep. Just wondering if anyone had any experience I could learn from to shorten the trial and error period.

ATV aD5, TD-25KV cymbals, Mapex Horizon Blue Sparkle shells A2E w/Triggera InTriggs.Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

I had the UFO setup with the aD5 for a while and it worked great. I would double check the trigger and make sure you're getting sufficient contact with the head. You may have to move it closer to the foam pillow to get good triggering. As Chance said, make sure you don't hit too hard on the bass drum when using the wizard.
        Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
          I had the UFO setup with the aD5 for a while and it worked great. I would double check the trigger and make sure you're getting sufficient contact with the head. You may have to move it closer to the foam pillow to get good triggering. As Chance said, make sure you don't hit too hard on the bass drum when using the wizard.
          Thanks for the reply. But I've been playing this setup with my TD-25 module for about a year. It's been triggering fine.

However, I will try redoing the trigger setup and not kick as hard.

Comment

It took my about a week or so to get everything to my liking. I don't like the default levels for the kits, I find the cymbals to be to high in the mix and I was always having to put my snare to 95 or more. When setting up instrument levels I will set the main volume to 12 o'clock and then I start to tweak the levels. What works best for me is to set all the cymbals between 45 and 50 and then my toms are around 55 and then my kick runs between 50 and 60 and my snare is usually around 65. This way I have a buffer to adjust the volume on either instrument up or down and I still have plenty of room to adjust the main up or down depending on how loud I want the overall kit.

If you haven't done so already be sure to download all the free samples from the ATV store. Some of my favorite pay for sounds are the 18" Ozone, 20" Meinl Byzance Ride, 14" BpFat Hats, 21 Pb Turk Ride, LwMapleMt Snare, and then the new LwMch toms.
            ATV aDrums, aD5, Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

To wrap this up...

I forgot to mention that I'm running just the left channel to a mixer and have my headphones plugged into the mixer. I had forgotten that unlike the Roland modules which will do a L+R mix to the left side mono channel, the aD5 only sends left sound to the left and right sound to the right. It doesn't mix. So I panned everything to the left and that evened out the volumes a little. I still have cymbals and toms around 60 and bass drum and snare around 80 to get an even sounding mix, but I can live with this I think. I'll tweak things as I go, I'm sure, but for now I can play on this.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
              X