Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous gases?

Hello,

I just bought a new set of TD-1DMK but the smell from the cymbals is so strong that I can not be in the same room.
    My eyes tear up and I get a headache. I leave the windows open when I go to work.

I've heard about other companies where the rubber releases hazardous gases and the companies were forced to return all the products from the market.

After reading the 'read me first' paper I found a small box saying 'Warning - this product contains chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm, including lead'.

My question is: What do you suggest I do?

Man, are you sane? What tang you took?

Comment

Originally posted by Garlic View Post
      Hello,

I just bought a new set of TD-1DMK but the smell from the cymbals is so strong that I can not be in the same room.
      My eyes tear up and I get a headache. I leave the windows open when I go to work.

I've heard about other companies where the rubber releases hazardous gases and the companies were forced to return all the products from the market.

After reading the 'read me first' paper I found a small box saying 'Warning - this product contains chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm, including lead'.

My question is: What do you suggest I do?
      That's a California warning,inert compounds cause cancer by their standards.

Comment

I had to look this up a while ago because it scared a friend who brought some earplugs I recommended once (thanks for that!)

From my understanding; Proposition 65 is a law created for the purpose of bureaucratic ring-fencing pushed through under the virtuous guise of safety legislation.

It's been mocked by a few media articles found online and like most deceitful practises, sadly, it will partially serve to undermine more important safety labels - as people may become desensitised to legitimate warnings on their products.

To the OP; My Triggera cymbals stunk like you wouldn't believe when they were new. Now they don't smell of anything.

Try not to eat your cymbals and you should be fine.
        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
        Community Drum Module Document
        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Pretty much any petroleum (rubber) product is going to have the warning worldwide.
          Alan
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've got a TD20-SX kit with a couple extra cymbals and they too have an odor... and I've owned the kit for ~ 9-years.
            It's certainly more noticeable when the room is warm, which indicates to me it is some V.O.C. that is evolving from the cymbal material.

I worked in the petroleum industry 30 years and they have devices to measure V.O.C.'s, however they are not inexpensive or readily obtained by the general public. If you're really concerned about this and are located near a petrochemical refinery, you could reach out to someone in the environmental section and see if they could test the material for you (it only takes a few moments) . At the facility I worked in we had a contract group test essentially all the piping components for leaks of volatile organic compounds. They used a larger portable machine (backpack mounted with a handheld sample wand) that draws a sample in and performs a analysis (typically photoionization) of the air for V.O.C.'s. There are also other methods that include manually drawing a sample through a "sorbent" (like a catalyst) tube with a hand pump (bellows unit), though it's not as accurate as the other method I described.

If you want to see some of these type of devices, I supplied some links for your reference:

https://isafegas.com/portable-voc-gas-detector/#top

https://www.thermofisher.com.au/show...ality-VOC.html

https://www.thermofisher.com.au/Uplo...OC-Monitor.pdf
            Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
            Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

hold on .. who regenerated this old 2018 post ? ..i think he's doing fine by now ..
              Last edited by Ericdrumz; 08-24-19, 02:50 PM.
              | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                hold on .. who regenerated this old 2018 post ? ..i think he's doing fine by now ..
                Only 1 post since joining in 12/2018.... I think he may have succumb to, I believe the medical term is cymbal funk, and has gone to the great beyond to meet his maker!
                Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
                Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

I already knew cymabl GAS is expensive (or drum GAS in general), but in this case perhaps it was deadly!
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X