Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Triggering TD-50 module from Roland SPD-30 Octapad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering TD-50 module from Roland SPD-30 Octapad

Hello,
    I just purchased a Roland TD-50 Trigger module, and would like to trigger it via MIDI using my Roland SPD-30 Octapad. I attached MIDI cable from SPD-30 MIDI out to TD-50 MIDI in, and have been tinkering with the MIDI settings on both devices all evening, without success. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
    Ac* Kits: 8pc DW, 5pc 70s Rogers, 5pc PDP, 5pc Pearl Vision, 12pc 70s Ludwig "OctaPlus" Stainless Steel.
    Elec*: Roland TD-50 Module, Roland SPD-30 Octapad, Roland SPD-SX, Roland Handsonic HPD-20. Hybrid Electronic Kit using various Roland Pads.

MIDI NOTEs, have to match between two devices.

Comment

You should set the MIDI Channel to 11
      Configure the MIDI Notes on the SPD to trigger Percussion Notes on the TD-50

Comment

Originally posted by tkydon View Post
        You should set the MIDI Channel to 11
        Configure the MIDI Notes on the SPD to trigger Percussion Notes on the TD-50
        There is no percussion set on the TD50. You can only trigger the main drum sounds on the MIDI ch10. Just check the note numbers on the td50 sounds you want to use and adjust the spd to those values.
        •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
        •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
        •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

It's been awhile since I posted the original message and wanted to follow up. I'd purchased the TD-50 module used from Reverb.com, and was trying to figure out how to trigger it's sounds via MIDI from my OctaPad, or SPD-SX. I was having ZERO success. I finally realized that the TD-50 was defective. The seller was great and agreed to replace it The replacement came and was practically new to my pleasant surprise. When I connected it to the Octapad and started tinkering, it worked perfectly. The coolest thing was that I accidentally discovered that I could play native sounds on the Octapad and also have that pad trigger sounds from the TD-50 for some really neat layering effects.
          Ac* Kits: 8pc DW, 5pc 70s Rogers, 5pc PDP, 5pc Pearl Vision, 12pc 70s Ludwig "OctaPlus" Stainless Steel.
          Elec*: Roland TD-50 Module, Roland SPD-30 Octapad, Roland SPD-SX, Roland Handsonic HPD-20. Hybrid Electronic Kit using various Roland Pads.

Comment

If you setup midi notes correctly you can layer sounds from td50 and spd30 and also can use sounds from td50 for spd30 phrase/loop

Comment

I have a SPD-30 on the way. Reading the manual, I'm disappointed to see layering is limited to two sounds. I think my DrumKat does eight. Does the SPD-30 V2 update change this to at least four samples?

I guess you can get four with the TD50 added but you have mix the two together through a mixer.

Can the two layered samples on the SPD-30 send on different MIDI channels? For example, you layer a cross stick and a tambo in the SPD-30 on MIDI notes 35 and 36. Can MIDI note 35 go out to a TD50 on channel 10 and MIDI note 36 go out to a keyboard on channel 11?

Comment

Working...
              X