Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

The Technical forum is for soft/hardware technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Kick Pedal question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just purchased a Roland TD 17 KVX. I understand I should only use a plastic kick beater because of the mesh bass head. Problem is, I do not like the sound or feel of the plastic beater head. Can I put a patch on the mesh head and use a felt beater instead? Thanks all.

Comment

after years of teaching and playing i have come to the conclusion that really cheap pedals and not good for anyone. having said that a top end pedal will NOT make you a top end player.. So get the best you can afford without being silly.. I point most of my students to second hand DW 5000. pedals. Even a well worn one can be refreshed quiet cheaply and they will out play most cheap or even mid range pedals...AUS$ 50.00 guessing a lot cheaper anywhere else in the world.. And while I'm talking gear.. check your seat. So many people have really bad stools which is REALLY bad for you back....

Comment

Originally posted by markfireprime View Post
        And while I'm talking gear.. check your seat. So many people have really bad stools which is REALLY bad for you back....
        Amen to that. I have a lot of back issues and ended up with the Ahead Spinal Glide throne. Expensive but worth every penny.

Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

I use felt beaters no problem with the TD 17KVX kick module and have had no issues. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by HTRabin View Post
            I use felt beaters no problem with the TD 17KVX kick module and have had no issues. Hope that helps.
            You will. There's a reason Roland never shows a felt beater towards a mesh head.
            Alan
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
              Rule #1: Play it till it breaks. Draw conclusion. Upgrade. Repeat.

Rule #2: As a beginner, you don't know what you want. Over time, you will figure out what may work better with your style of playing and chosen music. As you learn, and if you see a need for change, spend some time at the local music shop trying different types of pedals. Try straps, chains, and direct drive. Try traditional length and longboards. Try light and heavy. Try different types of beaters.

Rule #3: See Rule #1.
              The Best advice I've seen. True True True. Experience makes knowledge. Trial and error creates experience/knowledge.

Comment

To me the Kick Pedal is the most important part of the kit, so all I can say is, buy the best you can afford mate, you wont regret it.

Comment

When I started up again (for fun) back in 2006, I bought Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide, Yea a double kick, but the single would be just as good mate.
                  Or DW, they are good.

Comment

The trouble with kick pedals the most expensive is not always the best and what is the best for one person is not for another. Be prepared to have a few different types of pedals until you get one that suits you. This may even change as your technique improves.
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Yea as mkok says, it is personal. Back when I was gigging I had two Premier Pedals and a Ludwig.

Comment

Originally posted by mrossel View Post
                        I just purchased a Roland TD 17 KVX. I understand I should only use a plastic kick beater because of the mesh bass head. Problem is, I do not like the sound or feel of the plastic beater head. Can I put a patch on the mesh head and use a felt beater instead? Thanks all.
                        Of course. The Felt won`t magically go through the patch

I use felt beaters no problem with the TD 17KVX kick module and have had no issues. Hope that helps
                        It `s not like it destroys the mesh head in 2 months. You will just get a lot less lifespan out of your mesh head if you use a felt beater. Many have tried.

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

I was using felt beaters on my old KD8 which is rubber and found the beaters were digging holes in that, so I stuck plastic insulation tape over the face of the beaters and the problem went away. I cant see why you cant use patches also though I think the feel may change.
                          Last edited by John.b; 03-21-19, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X