MIMIC PRO first gig with new software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIMIC PRO first gig with new software

So, I played a gig last night with the new software and new Vex Origins kits (some tweaked and some stock Vex kits, sounded AWESOME!!!) and I wanted to share a couple things. Some great and a few first time problems I encountered.

Our band does not have a sound guy so I run direct mains 1&2 out to my personal monitor (Roland KC550) then out to our PA mixer and mix my kit on the fly if needed.

So... Two new great features I used for the first time.

"Force Master Out to Mono". Since we run out PA mono, I can keep my toms panned L & R where as before, I had them all panned dead center.

Next, I set the "Send HP to Master Mix & Disable Master Mixer". Great feature. I can mix on the home screen and not have to go into the (global) master mix settings. However, I wanted to use the metronome and by default, its sound is routed through the headphones. I spent several minutes trying to reroute it then I remembered that you can't, it's tied to the headphone output that I just set to master mixer. Bummer. I usually use a metronome app on my phone but left it at home so I thought I'd try the internal metronome and ran into this.

Now for the issues that I never had before... All pads are current Roland, VH13, PD108/128's KD140, CY14C's and CY15R, less than 2 years old.

I've gigged with the MIMIC many times but last night I had MAJOR missed hits for the first time on all my crash cymbals, at least 20 times in 3 hours of playing. My 5th floor tom (in aux 1) also would detect the first 3 or 4 hits of the end of a fill then not trigger the rest of the hits at all. I did do the cross talk suppression on the full kit before the gig but not at the venue on the riser that I've played on many times before. I read in the manual that the cross talk suppression should be done before each performance..... I never had to before and it seems like a pain to have to do that every - single - time. I've never experienced cross talk after setting it up initially and also never had missed hits like I did last night. Was really frustrating.

I'll set everything up at home and see if I still have the problems I had. I really wanted to just use the MIMIC as opposed to my TD50 midied into the MIMIC like I had been doing for a while. My biggest gripe with the MIMIC was trying to dial in my snare to my liking, which I finally have, and the CY15R response (bell). IMO, the TD50 still plays better (digital pads) but the MIMIC absolutely destroys it sound wise. If I can't resolve my triggering issues, I'll go back to the TD50 midied into the MIMIC setup I had been using.

If you've made it this far, please know I'm not knocking the MIMIC, I just had these triggering issues that I need to sort out and will continue to use it.

If there is a way (in the next update ) to change the home screen mixer to be able to mix the master outs, turn off the metronome sound and have a visual que, that would really be awesome. The song player is now fixed and that's great since I use some backing tracks.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

http://pearl-electronics-support.com..._v1.0.8.24.pdf
    Page 50 for a metronome->master out volume

for these triggering issues - you need to rise the trigger threshold parameter to proper value, was discussed many times here.
    That will be addressed in next update, triggering will be more immune to external noises.
    Last edited by Mr.Boo; 09-13-18, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
      http://pearl-electronics-support.com..._v1.0.8.24.pdf
      Page 50 for a metronome->master out volume

for these triggering issues - you need to rise the trigger threshold parameter to proper value, was discussed many times here.
      That will be addressed in next update, triggering will be more immune to external noises.
      Thanks, I'll look for the metronome master out volume. I was a little pressed for time at the gig so I didn't get a chance to dig that far in the menus.

Raising threshold is to prevent false triggering.... I had missed hits (no triggering) when hitting my cymbals and on the one tom (aux 1). I'll recheck my pad setting though.
      Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
        Raising threshold is to prevent false triggering.... I had missed hits (no triggering) when hitting my cymbals and on the one tom (aux 1). I'll recheck my pad setting though.
        if you need details, please find me on FB (I'm an admin in this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MimicPRO/ , my name is Sergey), and we can work together later on your issues as soon as I'll finish my current work

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
          if you need details, please find me on FB (I'm an admin in this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MimicPRO/ , my name is Sergey), and we can work together later on your issues as soon as I'll finish my current work
          Ok, I just asked to join the FB group. Thanks again.
          Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

Just a quick follow up...

I dug through the settings in my MIMIC for a short time last night... With the Vex kits I was using for the first time, I didn't set my 5th tom in Aux 1 to the correct pad type. Alan has it set for a splash cymbal so the trigger type was set for a CY14C (I think) instead of a PD128. Maybe it got confused thinking I wast trying to do a cymbal swell and dropped consecutive hits. It seems like it shouldn't but who knows. I still need to test further when I have more time.

Then I started thinking about why my crash cymbals were not triggering every time. It may have been the drum riser I was on. Our lead singer wedged a small fan under the front lip of the riser pointed at him and it was vibrating the whole riser, enough that I could feel it and maybe that vibration was transferring up through my drum rack. Something else I'll have to test next week when we play at this venue again. I think his fan might be missing part of a blade, it vibrated pretty badly. It didn't occur to me during the gig.

I'm gigging again tonight at a different venue but will midi from my TD50 to the MIMIC... I won't have time to suss out issues if I have any. I'll try to follow up again next week.
            Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

Working...
            X