No announcement yet.

ATV HiHat Noise Discussion and Possible Solutions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should just try it. Remove the sensor from the bottom hat, place the sensor back on the stand and recalibrate the hat. Play it for a bit and see what you think. If you donít like it jus put the sensor back into the bottom hat ;-)

If you DO favor the ďno bottom hatĒ configuration, I made one modification-because the weight of the bottom hat helped keep the sensor down against the stand, without the plate it has a tendency to jump up a bit with aggressive footwork. So I just used a couple of tie-wraps to secure the sensor to the stand-perfect!

IMO it is SO much quieter and plays fantastically. And itís a non-destructive mod, so just put it back together if you donít like it!

john

QUOTE=Thecklos;n1199170]

Do you still get the values of crushed hard (basically closed vs closed really hard) that you can get with VH12, VH13, and ATV hat setup normally when it's like this? Just curious what your crushed vs closed range is (if any.) Attached is a pic of my weatherstripped ATV hat. I had to cut the weatherstripping up into small pieces otherwise it wouldn't stay stuck in place (didn't want to be laid in a curve.)[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Thecklos View Post

Do you still get the values of crushed hard (basically closed vs closed really hard) that you can get with VH12, VH13, and ATV hat setup normally when it's like this? Just curious what your crushed vs closed range is (if any.) Attached is a pic of my weatherstripped ATV hat. I had to cut the weatherstripping up into small pieces otherwise it wouldn't stay stuck in place (didn't want to be laid in a curve.)
      There is no reason why that would not work. The hi-hat is only sending a voltage relative to position. Removing the inert non-functional piece of plastic beneath will have no bearing on that.
      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

There is no reason why that would not work. The hi-hat is only sending a voltage relative to position. Removing the inert non-functional piece of plastic beneath will have no bearing on that.
        In other words you will not lose any of the functionality of the controller itself, and there is no additional functionality beyond that in the controller's capabilities. Further, the changes in sound that you described are a function of the module in response to high hat position. They have nothing to do with the hi hat signal other than the height of the top cymbal.

Comment

In other words you will not lose any of the functionality of the controller itself, and there is no additional functionality beyond that in the controller's capabilities. Further, the changes in sound that you described are a function of the module in response to high hat position. They have nothing to do with the hi hat signal other than the height of the top cymbal.
          If, part of the size squeeze on the crush is the lower plastic cymbal flexing some, then you lose some crush space without it as the center piece isn't flexible at all. I'll try it after I test out the VersaTriggers that are coming in next week sometime. Tired of not being able to wire every zone of every cymbal up. Mimic doesn't have enough inputs (although yeah I know they don't model the bell and what not for crashes.) Lately that's my biggest gripe with ATV as a whole, their module doesn't live up to the standards set by the aDrums. They should have a module out there that will utilize every zone of every piece in the kit. I'd be okay with 2 modules if they did that, but they can't even do that.
          Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3xCrash, 1xRide, 1xHat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

If, part of the size squeeze on the crush is the lower plastic cymbal flexing some, then you lose some crush space without it as the center piece isn't flexible at all. I'll try it after I test out the VersaTriggers that are coming in next week sometime. Tired of not being able to wire every zone of every cymbal up. Mimic doesn't have enough inputs (although yeah I know they don't model the bell and what not for crashes.) Lately that's my biggest gripe with ATV as a whole, their module doesn't live up to the standards set by the aDrums. They should have a module out there that will utilize every zone of every piece in the kit. I'd be okay with 2 modules if they did that, but they can't even do that.
            It would be cool to have but that would be a **** load of inputs if every cymbal was 3 zones. On my current setup I would need a minimum of 12 inputs just for the cymbals. ATV is coming out with an expander module that will give additional inputs to the aD5 and hopefully some additional features. Keep in mind the aD5 is half the cost of a Mimic Pro or TD-50, and it is still able to offer some of the best cymbal and drum samples on the market, plus an incredible playing experience when paired with the aDrums. Heck, the pro-line $2200 Mimic is still lacking bow articulations for the crashes and rimshot articulations for the toms.
            TD-50KV, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, DW Hardware

Comment

My solution to the hihat noise was rubber window seal cut down the middle to make it thinner. It worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

It would be cool to have but that would be a **** load of inputs if every cymbal was 3 zones. On my current setup I would need a minimum of 12 inputs just for the cymbals. ATV is coming out with an expander module that will give additional inputs to the aD5 and hopefully some additional features. Keep in mind the aD5 is half the cost of a Mimic Pro or TD-50, and it is still able to offer some of the best cymbal and drum samples on the market, plus an incredible playing experience when paired with the aDrums. Heck, the pro-line $2200 Mimic is still lacking bow articulations for the crashes and rimshot articulations for the toms.
                I know the mimic is missing some of those items (it's one of my current gripes with it) and I currently have a Mimic. The AD5 allows 1 3 zone cymbal per AD5, and maybe one more via the expander? The toms are all single zone. My current kit would need more than 12 inputs for the cymbals. I've already maxed out a mimic and am using a DDTI to feed more pads into it, w/out being able to connect most of the bell zones on my cymbals. The only two things I've found that will actually handle my kit today are the Megadrum IO and VersaTrigger. I'm about to start testing VersaTrigger very soon (including checking to see if I can get all 3 zones on the hihat - just to do it - if it works, I might cheat some for when I"m doing double bass work by making the bell put out an open hihat sound.)

Edit: MY kit parts that need triggering are as follows (ignoring the modules for this gear dump)

ATV Stuff
                3 rack toms
                2 floor toms
                1 snare
                1 kick
                3 crash (all 16s)
                1 ride
                1 hihat
                1 china
                2 splash (10 and 12)

Non-ATV stuff
                2 Roland BT1s
                Dual Cow-Paddy (on one input)

Pads that aren't on triggers

SPD-SX (fed into mixer - either mackie mix8 or focusrite pre)

The splash and the China have CY8 stand ins as they still haven't arrived yet, but been on order for a while.

My gripe with ATV is that their module isn't really commensurate with the aDrums. They need to elevate their module game dramatically imo. If you buy an expanded ATV kit with the AD5, there are 6 trigger inputs you will not be able to use in the aDrums with the module "designed" (or at least sold with) the kit. To me this would be like if Roland sold the TD50 and the digital pads but didn't allow the digital pads to generate positional information.
                Last edited by Thecklos; 10-12-18, 10:20 PM.
                Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3xCrash, 1xRide, 1xHat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

I know the mimic is missing some of those items (it's one of my current gripes with it) and I currently have a Mimic. The AD5 allows 1 3 zone cymbal per AD5, and maybe one more via the expander? The toms are all single zone. My current kit would need more than 12 inputs for the cymbals. I've already maxed out a mimic and am using a DDTI to feed more pads into it, w/out being able to connect most of the bell zones on my cymbals. The only two things I've found that will actually handle my kit today are the Megadrum IO and VersaTrigger. I'm about to start testing VersaTrigger very soon (including checking to see if I can get all 3 zones on the hihat - just to do it - if it works, I might cheat some for when I"m doing double bass work by making the bell put out an open hihat sound.)

Edit: MY kit parts that need triggering are as follows (ignoring the modules for this gear dump)

ATV Stuff
                  3 rack toms
                  2 floor toms
                  1 snare
                  1 kick
                  3 crash (all 16s)
                  1 ride
                  1 hihat
                  1 china
                  2 splash (10 and 12)

Non-ATV stuff
                  2 Roland BT1s
                  Dual Cow-Paddy (on one input)

Pads that aren't on triggers

SPD-SX (fed into mixer - either mackie mix8 or focusrite pre)

The splash and the China have CY8 stand ins as they still haven't arrived yet, but been on order for a while.

My gripe with ATV is that their module isn't really commensurate with the aDrums. They need to elevate their module game dramatically imo. If you buy an expanded ATV kit with the AD5, there are 6 trigger inputs you will not be able to use in the aDrums with the module "designed" (or at least sold with) the kit. To me this would be like if Roland sold the TD50 and the digital pads but didn't allow the digital pads to generate positional information.
                  Nice setup. You should start a thread so we can follow your progress. Have you thought about sampling some bell sounds from SD3 and using them?

Only time will tell what plans ATV has for itís next module but I do hope it fully utilizes all the capabilities of their aDrums.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

Nice setup. You should start a thread so we can follow your progress. Have you thought about sampling some bell sounds from SD3 and using them?

Only time will tell what plans ATV has for itís next module but I do hope it fully utilizes all the capabilities of their aDrums.
                    I don't really think ATV will release a module that really lets you use everything anytime soon and I did consider that but I kept waiting on the editor (rather than using snigle shot samples) since I hadn't really figured out a way to get enough of the bell zones connected to make it worthwhile. If I do VersaTrigger + VST + Clarette I really won't have either of those issues. I'll have different issues.

Comment

I don't really think ATV will release a module that really lets you use everything anytime soon and I did consider that but I kept waiting on the editor (rather than using snigle shot samples) since I hadn't really figured out a way to get enough of the bell zones connected to make it worthwhile. If I do VersaTrigger + VST + Clarette I really won't have either of those issues. I'll have different issues.
                      Scott Hunter and Mike Snyder of ATV have stated that a new module won't be available anytime soon, BUT the ATV Link device will be available before long and it will add additional outputs and inputs (I believe).

Comment

Scott Hunter and Mike Snyder of ATV have stated that a new module won't be available anytime soon, BUT the ATV Link device will be available before long and it will add additional outputs and inputs (I believe).
                        A comment from Scott on ATVís Facebook page points to the Link next year (fingers crossed!):

ďHi Scott - The ATV Link (2019) will allow you to have more outputs.Ē

Comment

Working...
                        X