Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live E-Kit with TDV6 (black) Module! What are my options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live E-Kit with TDV6 (black) Module! What are my options?

So, I'm converting a drum kit to electronic with mesh heads on the toms triggered by red ddrum triggers, a roland dual zone snare, a roland screw-on bass drum trigger with a deadened bass drum head and some cymbals with a black mesh wrap to deaden them.

I'm going to use Superior drummer on a laptop, paired up with a generic midi interface and the TD6V module. So far everything seems to work, but I haven't really figured out my full setup yet which is why I'm posting.

I'm a standup drummer so I won't be able to play my hihat with my foot. I need a way to be able to get a closed and open hihat sound from one pad. Suggestions? With my normal acoustic kit I use two hihats.

As far as ride and crash cymbals, ideally, I'd like to get those two sounds out of the same trigger as well, one that looks like a cymbal preferably. My normal acoustic kit uses a crash/ride cymbal.

I'm definitely going with the less is more look here, think Stray Cats. I've played this way for over 10 years with this band on my acoustic kit. I now want to switch it up with the e-kit!!! Smaller and lighter drums!! I sing lead full time and its easier to sing standing than hunched down behind drums.

It would be nice to have maybe another pad or two for extraneous sounds as well, but I haven't gotten that far.

Is my module too old to achieve my goals? Do I need an interface like a Tascam US 2x2 or Scarlett?

We run our own sound in my band, so I'll be going right into our PA. I use in-ears and play to a click a lot of the time. I have a small mixer that I use to control my own personal mix with the click, sequences and normal band inst and vocals.

Thanks all!

Trent
    Last edited by swingrays; 07-11-18, 06:31 PM.

get roland spd-30 very portable .. and you can use the 8-pads layering style [open/close hihat or crash/ride cymbal on the pads.]

Comment

or Yamaha Multi-12 drumpad, that give you 12 pads of 4 layers on each pad

Comment

The td6 should be enough. Can you get the latency down enough through the PCs internal sound card? I always thought the internal ones sounded a bit soft with no definition. Also they are very susceptible to hum and other noises which can be present at one location but not another. The only problem with pads as mentioned above is you have to be accurate which may not be that easy if singing and facing the audience.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
          get roland spd-30 very portable .. and you can use the 8-pads layering style [open/close hihat or crash/ride cymbal on the pads.]
          TIVI- I already have a SDP-SX. There's not enough inputs in that for my live e-kit. I've played gigs with it with just drums (external pads) and live cymbals, but ran into a problem when triggering three pads at once as one sound would cut out. So, that's no good. I normally use that for samples and misc sounds ans clicktrack in my other other band where I just sit to play.

I suppose could just play the SPD-SX itself, but it don't look ROCK N ROLL enough! Plus, while singing it's nearly impossible to hit the pads accurately. I want to use a normal looking drumkit.

MKOK- there is a slight latency, but not much. Dunno if an interface would help with that. I was just using earphones off of the laptop.

Comment

SPD-SX is different from SPD-30 SPD-30 you can hook up 4 external pads [snare, kick, 2 toms either using roland mesh pads or DIY A-E conversion] The reason I recommended SPD-30 is you were asking for 2 layered sounds for your hi-hat standing up drumming and 2 layered sounds for ride/crash cymbal. SPD-30 8 pads can do this. Also, SPD-30 external trigger inputs I think you can split them into single triggers [more toms, or crash cymbals.] Internal sounds of SPD-30 are more than the sounds in SPD-SX.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
              SPD-SX is different from SPD-30 SPD-30 you can hook up 4 external pads [snare, kick, 2 toms either using roland mesh pads or DIY A-E conversion] The reason I recommended SPD-30 is you were asking for 2 layered sounds for your hi-hat standing up drumming and 2 layered sounds for ride/crash cymbal. SPD-30 8 pads can do this. Also, SPD-30 external trigger inputs I think you can split them into single triggers [more toms, or crash cymbals.] Internal sounds of SPD-30 are more than the sounds in SPD-SX.
              Thanks for the clarification, tivi.

Now, my next question is about the closed/open hi-hat and crash/ride cymbal. What are my options for making this work? I won't be able to physically step on a pedal to change sounds as I'll be playing my bass drum and standing with my other foot. Can I DIY a real cymbal to get both sounds depending on where I hit it? And how accurate do you think that will be? Or should I buy a real deal e-cymbal for this purpose?
              Last edited by swingrays; 07-15-18, 04:21 PM.

Comment

ok for spd-30, you can set open hihat and closed hihat on one pad of the 8 pads on the spd-30. you dont need to use hihat control pedal to get it to work. you just need to setup the layering in spd-30 [starting page 30 of the manual, i think the switch layer type is the one you need to setup and layer point 1-127 depend on how you use your stick on the pad] for layer A you set closed hihat sound, layer B you set open hihat sound. When perform and you need open hihat sound you just need to hit the same pad harder to get the open sound. that's all.

Comment

I probably won't be getting the SPD-30 any time soon. The SPD-SX was an investment in itself. Wish I could, but I just want to get things working with the Roland td6v, if I can. Will td6v give me the option of both sounds for a high-hat? Ride/crash cymbal? I suppose I could use the SPD-SX for just my cymbals if I HAD to?

Comment

i dont think td6v have layering option, if you have spd-sx maybe you can try wave and sub-wave, and assign 2 sounds onto 1 pad.

Comment

Working...
                    X