X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro and x-hat possibilities

Hello my fellow e-drummers,

Hope you can help me with this one...

Recently I made the switch from the Roland TD-30 to the Pearl Mimic Pro module.

After two weeks of reading, tweaking and online searching, everything is as I want it to be (for now).

Except for one thing; I can't assign hi-hat articulations to my CY-5 for half open (edge zone) and closed (bow zone) x-hat effect. I don't use this CY-5 as the main hi-hat, but as a secondary "closed" hi-hat or x-hat on my right side for double bass drumming.

The only way I can use this CY-5 as a hi-hat, is asigning the exact same MIDI note numbers for bow and edge as the VH-12 regular hi-hat. But then I'll always get the full open hi-hat sound when playing double bass drum becaus the CY-5 is controlled by the foot pedal of the VH-12 (which is open, because of the lack of a third leg ;-).

Basically, I want to choose hi-hat articulations from the instrument library and assign them to the trigger zones and change the positional sensing (control number) as I prefer. But there seems to be no way to choose a hi-hat for non hi-hat trigger inputs.

Anyone tried this and made it work the way I want it? Or should I add it to the wish list for the PMP?

Thanks in advance!

Grtz. Martijn
    Last edited by mswagerman; 06-17-18, 09:56 AM.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV ad5
    VH-12, KD-120, 3x PD-125, 2x PD-105, 2x PD-85, 2x CY-14, CY-15R, CY-12C, BT-1, 2x Trigera D14, 3x CY-5, 4x 4" Koby drums Nano-pad... G.A.S. :-s

Not sure if this can be done with internal sounds but you could import some hi hat samples. They would be 1 shot for now but many Roland modules sound like single samples in each hi hat position.

Comment

Thanks Peter.

I had that in mind as an option. I have found some free 24 bit samples of hi-hats in different sensing positions. Seems like the best option for now and wait for Pearl to update the PMP one day to be able to use x-hats out of the box. And cymbal stacks, and tambourines, and woodblocks, and octobans and Octobans and OCTOBANS and... well at least 8 of them with proper round-robin :-D
      Last edited by mswagerman; 06-14-18, 01:17 AM.
      Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV ad5
      VH-12, KD-120, 3x PD-125, 2x PD-105, 2x PD-85, 2x CY-14, CY-15R, CY-12C, BT-1, 2x Trigera D14, 3x CY-5, 4x 4" Koby drums Nano-pad... G.A.S. :-s

Comment

With the amount of memory power the Mimic Pro has, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we get an x-hat feature.

Should be relativity simple to code, like another cymbal slot - presuming it only loads the tip/edge samples of one openness level and a UI element to control that.

♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
        Community Drum Module Document
        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

This is maybe very off topic...but the 2box Drumit Three (and upcoming Five FW) can actually set the hi-hat position in advance and use it in a sound preset. Just perfect for us double kick players. I think 2box got inspired from my Virtual Clutch function found on some of my hi-hat conversions.

Mimic should definitely look for such function in future fw. However to split the bow/edge sound to have different hh positions donít work on 2box...

back to topic!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
          Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Yep,no x-hat implementation yet,but Pearl has been great at giving us the module and listening to us Mimic owners and updating the firmware kinda on order of bugs/changes in order of importance and future feature requests so maybe at some point we'll see an an x-hat implementation.Anxiously awaiting the new update!

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
              With the amount of memory power the Mimic Pro has, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we get an x-hat feature.

Should be relativity simple to code, like another cymbal slot - presuming it only loads the tip/edge samples of one openness level and a UI element to control that.
              All Pearl has to do is make it possible to assign a hi-hat articulation + control number (for positional sensing) to a trigger zone. Done! This way you can get any hi-hat sound (closed tight to half-open... all the way up to full open but also foot chicks and foot splashes when preferred).

Instead of making it dynamically controllable using the hi-hat pedal, you make it fixed (but still velocity dependent of course).

Easy programming... Except perhaps for the user interface that has to be changed a bit, and the testing etc.
              Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV ad5

Comment

While on the topic; lets go one better and make the edge and bow CC separately assignable. E.g. Edge CC locked at 127 and Bow CC locked at 0 - so advanced players can do things that aren't even possible with acoustics.
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Working...
                X