Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

ē The Technical forum is for soft/hardware technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Mimic Pro help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro help

Hi everyone, I have just got my MP to use with my TD30 kit. I am running the latest firmware from August.
    I am totally out of my comfort zone setting this thing up. Can the Veterans of MP post a vid or a set of instructions on how to at least get started please? This is totally different to what I am used to. A basic step by step guide would benefit everyone. I play with three rack toms and two floor toms. How do I assign a Tom sound to my extra PD85? Do I need this plugged into Aux 3 or 4 on the TD30 cables as the Mimic seems to recognise 1 and 2 as extra Aux cymbals. As someone else stated, the kick sound is very quiet compared to toms. I do apologise as I know a lot of this has probably been discussed but it is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack and I donít have a lot of time on my hands due to my young children and working abroad. If anyone can take the time to write an ďMP guide for DummiesĒ in a concise and easy format, I for one will be extremely grateful. Many thanks.

Have you read the manual?
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
      Have you read the manual?
      Exactly, that is the best advice! Read your manual which is online here........
      http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/e...mic-pro-manual

Do the latest firmware update ( which is NOT from August 2017 ) and download the latest instruments ( set of PEARL toms )
      http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/e...odule/#updates

http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/e...odule/#library

We Mimic users all went through a learning curve as it in NOT plug and play WITHOUT reading the manual when you are only used to ROLAND modules. I have the Mimic since July 17 and still learn every week something new about it. The videos of AlanVEX are great and I am sure there are more coming with detailed instructions and useful tips.

By the way, if you want to play 5 toms.....you can assign the 5th tom ( which will be the smallest rack tom like an 8" for instance ) to an AUX channel which suits you. I chose AUX 5 for my 8" rack tom, so can you do, then the MODULE setup with tom1-4 would be like for instance on a real set.....Tom1=10" Rack, Tom2=12" Rack, Tom3=14" or 16" Floor, Tom4=16" or 18" Floor, hence for ME it makes most sense to put the 8" Rack Tom to an AUX channel like AUX5 which I did, IF you use Alans VEX Origins kits, AUX5 would be set to snare side stick or to a second side snare. So you can choose another AUX channel for the small Rack Tom if you want, anyway the Mimic gives you lots of options, you can set it up as best as it suits your preference.
      Last edited by spitfirejoe; 04-06-18, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. Iíll have a good read. I guess itís going to take a while to get used to. I have a USB 2.0 64g. Will that be ok to do the update? Iím having problems getting the MP to find the firmware update on the SYS screen. Any ideas?

Comment

I would try a different USB stick. I use an old 16g and it works fine. You need to take some time and sit down with the mimic.

This isn't a tutorial video, but it's really good and might help you understand a little more about the mindset needed.

Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
          Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Many thanks. Just to be clear about USB formats, you need to format your USB in the MS-DOS FAT format in order for the MP to read the flash drive and carry out updates. I know you guys probably already knew that but I had to do a bit of experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by jay888bee View Post
              Ok thanks guys. Iíll have a good read. I guess itís going to take a while to get used to. I have a USB 2.0 64g. Will that be ok to do the update? Iím having problems getting the MP to find the firmware update on the SYS screen. Any ideas?
              You can format the USB drive in the Mimic just to be sure. And the Update Must go on the Root of the USB drive .....
              Last edited by JmanWord; 04-06-18, 02:44 PM.
              I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Guys Iíve just spent hours trying to get my Mimic Pro to play something like my TD30 did. Iíve read the manual and followed the instructions but I cannot get the pads to respond the way my Roland module did. I am at the point now where I am looking to sacrifice the sounds of the Mimic and go back to the TD50 digital upgrade. Would anyone be prepared to share their preset settings for every parameter. Iím using TD30kv setup. Please help.

Comment

You need to calibrate first input gain\ top velocity\threshold on each zone (piezo bow, edge)

For drums and cymbal:
                  -Select the appropriate Triggers preset.
                  -Select one zone of triggers at a time.
                  -Increase the Input gain faders to above 5 until you start hearing the lightness \ghost notes sound
                  -After click capture top velocity, hit 5 hard time the current zone, then click store.
                  -Set threshold in advanced button, move it to lower until all lightest hits are detected
                  -Repeat this procedure from above for all zone, pad and cymbal

*Do not use vel mod, keep default setting.

For a hihat controller calibration:
                  - Go to hihat trigger settings, HatControl tab
                  - Use "Capture Close/Open position" function to dial your tight closed and full open settings, follow text instruction.

-Dial the "close/open border threshold" manually - for this I prefer to double-tap the "close/open border" fader and move the yellow line with hardware data wheel (from bottom to the top) while playing some chick patterns and some "hit-open-hat - then -close -it -with-a - pedal" patterns. You'll find a position where the hat response is ok for your playing.
                  Actually - yellow line threshold is basically the hat position where chick sound is generated. So it is kinda when top and bottom cymbals are coming together (on a real hihat) but not yet fully closed. Thus the name.

-Settings tab "footsplash sensitivity" is the foot splash sensitivity

-Settings tab "close to open transition sensitivity" is the time that mimic waits for a hihat transition from closed to open after closed hat stroke.
                  For tight/fast players it's ok in 5-10 range
                  Some drummers prefer slower playing style and use it in 20-40 range

At the end of all, you need to do the crosstalk suppression, middle on top of the screen, click setting button near the reset button.

Ps: Each time you move, or tweak settings on trigger, you need to do the cross talk suppression again.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 10-30-18, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Follow Chris K's advice above. Strange that you are having a problem. I have found the opposite, I have never been able to setup pads or cymbals to trigger better than with the Mimic. And that is with any edrum module. It is certainly possible to setup excellent trigger response with the Mimic especially since there are so many options that are not available on any other module to fine tune that response.

I would suggest you break this down to one pad at a time. And when giving feedback do the same, one pad at a time. It is extremely difficult to troubleshoot a person's problems when they make "blanket" comments about all their pads. Specifics are required. If you list a particular pad you want to setup and the specific problem you are having that would be a start.
                    Last edited by JmanWord; 04-15-18, 11:39 AM.
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. I making progress....slowly! I have done everything you said to calibrate my HH. Itís still not responding as well as Iíd like. The same with the ride. The bell is great but the bow is not picking up my sticking. Also when I add an iPhone to the aux in, Iím getting a constant buzzing sound when the music isnít playing. I have checked the lead. No static. My mix is not perfect either as I have the master volume almost up to max along with the Aux volume but I guess I can correct this in the mixer settings with a bit of tweaking. Itís just a bit tedious at the moment trying to tweak it to my playing. Iím sure Iíll get there eventually. Thanks again.

Comment

I agree with Chris K and Jman. There is no reason that you aren't able to get excellent triggering results. However, because the Mimic has many adjustable trigger parameters, it's not always plug and play.

So, I have some additional comments that may help.

1) Select the correct pad input type.
                        First, start by choosing the correct pad input according to the manual. For example, I have DIY pads with quartz triggers as well as a Roland PD128. For my DIY snare, I have excellent results using the PD128 pad type in the Mimic following this procedure. It was just as easy as it was dialing in my PD128.

2) To Set the dynamic range:
                        It's important to understand that there are essentially two key parameters that you will be adjusting, and you should adjust them in this order: 1) input gain 2) top velocity. What you're doing is setting the "book ends" of your triggering range, so to speak - ghost notes and your hardest hits. Once you set these two points in the module, the Mimic then scales those two points across a very playable dynamic range.
                        a. Select your desired pad or cymbal and then select "Trigger".
                        b. Starting with the head piezo/zone, choose "Input gain". You will now set the bottom of your dynamic range.
                        c. Lightly tap the head while dialing up the input gain until you get consistent ghost note triggering. You have just set the bottom end of the playable dynamic range.
                        d. Then, select "capture top velocity. Strike the head 5 times, fairly consistently at your hardest normal striking force. You're not trying to bash as hard as you can. Just hit at your at a strike force that is equal to your typical hardest hit. Don't overdo it. There will still be some headroom above that. Look at the meter on the left. The red line is the level that you're setting for "top velocity". As you hit even harder (above "top velocity"), you see that it's possible to go above the red line.
                        e. Then, switch to the "rim" zone and repeat the process.
                        You have just set the dynamic range for head and rim.
                        f. Play that drum for a bit and experiment.
                        f. If you find that you have to hit too hard to reach the top velocity, dial that down a bit.
                        g. If you find that your ghost notes aren't all hitting consistently, you can dial up the input gain. However, if you do that, you should dial up the top velocity a bit. Again, you can experiment a bit to get it right.

Do this for each pad and cymbal.

ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Many thanks jpsquared482. I think I may have gone wrong in hitting as hard as I can to reach the top velocity. My lightest ghost notes donít seem to be triggering. Iíll do as you say and try hitting the pads at my normal level hits. When you play the rim are we talking the rim on the head towards the edge of the drum or the actual black rim of the pd128? Sorry if Iím being dense.

Comment

for calibration, black rim only, snare rim input gain usually need to be set high, above 14, I set mine more higher

I set 2 sound velocity on the rims, with threshold setting, rim black only one sound, the second sound rims+ head together will trigs the 2rd sound.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 04-15-18, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jay888bee View Post
                              Many thanks jpsquared482. I think I may have gone wrong in hitting as hard as I can to reach the top velocity. My lightest ghost notes donít seem to be triggering. Iíll do as you say and try hitting the pads at my normal level hits. When you play the rim are we talking the rim on the head towards the edge of the drum or the actual black rim of the pd128? Sorry if Iím being dense.
                              If you are having trouble with ghost notes, please be aware that the Mimic has a limit on how soft your ghost notes will be produced in terms of actual dB. That limit is probably a lot higher than your softest hits. In other words, ghost notes require more strike velocity than you might want them to require. Or, put another way, the Mimic doesn't produce infentesimally low volume ghost notes.

What you're looking for when setting input gain is for soft (not your softest) notes to register consistently - meaning, all soft hits at the same level of softness will register as a soft hit. To find that level, simply hit soft hits consistently and keep raising the input gain value until they trigger consistently. Then, make your adjustment to top velocity.

Hope this helps.
                              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                              X