Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ATV aD H-14 HiHat setup w mimic pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV aD H-14 HiHat setup w mimic pro?

Hello friends! I have been blown away with my mimic pro. Got the ATV aD-H14 hi hats in today...any setup tips? The manual is not great. The website is less great. Can anyone share a preset? I am using Mim Pro ver 1.0.7.2
    Or any tips on the setup? So close...help please!
    Thanks for reading!

Hi,

there is atv preset here, download https://www.mimicpro.com/tpreset.html

Preset is a starting point vh13v2

You need to calibrate first input gain\ top velocity\threshold on each zone (piezo bow, edge)

For drums and cymbal
    -Select one zone of triggers at a time.
    -Increase the Input gain faders to above 5 until you start hearing the lightness \ghost notes sound
    -After click capture top velocity, hit 5 hard time the current zone, then click store.
    -Set threshold in advanced button, move it to lower until all lightest hits are detected
    -Repeat this procedure from above for all zone.

For a hihat controller calibration
    - Go to hihat trigger settings, HatControl tab
    - Use "Capture Close/Open position" function to dial your tight closed and full open settings, follow text instruction.

Dial the "close/open border threshold" manually - for this I prefer to double-tap the "close/open border" fader and move the yellow line with hardware data wheel (from bottom to the top) while playing some chick patterns and some "hit-open-hat - then -close -it -with-a - pedal" patterns. You'll find a position where the hat response is ok for your playing.
    Actually - yellow line threshold is basically the hat position where chick sound is generated. So it is kinda when top and bottom cymbals are coming together (on a real hihat) but not yet fully closed. Thus the name.

-Settings tab "footsplash sensitivity" is the foot splash sensitivity

-Settings tab "close to open transition sensitivity" is the time that mimic waits for a hihat transition from closed to open after closed hat stroke.
    For tight/fast players it's ok in 5-10 range
    Some drummers prefer slower playing style and use it in 20-40 range

At the end of all, you need to do the crosstalk suppression, middle on top of the screen, click setting button near the reset button.

Ps: Each time you move, or tweak settings on trigger, you need to do the cross talk suppression again.
    Last edited by Chris K; 12-07-19, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Everything is working fantastic, but the foot splash is not still not working that well. Do you have footsplash dialed in? I'm wondering if it might just be a matter of closely monitoring and changing my playing technique... it looked as though Peter Warren had it set up pretty nicely, as well as drum tec videos...

Comment

Originally posted by DrumsOnTap View Post
        Everything is working fantastic, but the foot splash is not still not working that well. Do you have footsplash dialed in? I'm wondering if it might just be a matter of closely monitoring and changing my playing technique... it looked as though Peter Warren had it set up pretty nicely, as well as drum tec videos...
        you need to change the foot splash fader, 100 means easy, 50 harder etc.

Comment

I can't seem to find a good setting for the ATV HH on the mimic so that the chick triggers properly. Every time I close the hats it triggers a bow hit. I have to turn the bow threshold up to around 150 to prevent the bow from triggering on a hihat pedal close, but then I lose bow sensitivity on the low end. Anyone have this issue or know of a fix? Thanks.

Comment

What Chris wrote above was really helpful. I'm getting closer. It just takes some tweaking and I'm really glad I traded the V-12's out for the ATV aD H-14. I am so glad there are so many parameters to tweak. It's a lot to take in at first, but the more tweaking you do your understanding grows and you marvel at the amount of control you have. I know I'll Get there. I'd rather have this much control as opposed to something ready out of the box with less parameters to dial in custom (perfect) settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Froticidal View Post
              I can't seem to find a good setting for the ATV HH on the mimic so that the chick triggers properly. Every time I close the hats it triggers a bow hit. I have to turn the bow threshold up to around 150 to prevent the bow from triggering on a hihat pedal close, but then I lose bow sensitivity on the low end. Anyone have this issue or know of a fix? Thanks.
              It's not the ATV that's the issue. Roland has a patent on muting the bow hit when you do a foot chick. So, when you do a foot chick and the upper cymbal strikes the lower cymbal, the piezo in the bow will send a signal for a bow hit to the module. The same is true for the ATV ad5. Again, it's a module issue that can't be fixed without violating the Roland patent. We just have to deal with it until the patent runs out.
              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

It's not the ATV that's the issue. Roland has a patent on muting the bow hit when you do a foot chick. So, when you do a foot chick and the upper cymbal strikes the lower cymbal, the piezo in the bow will send a signal for a bow hit to the module. The same is true for the ATV ad5. Again, it's a module issue that can't be fixed without violating the Roland patent. We just have to deal with it until the patent runs out.
                Ah makes sense, another Roland special. I moved the open/close transition higher and also adjusted the tilt of the bottom hat a bit so that it's no longer parallel to the top hat and it seems to help (for some reason). These hats are still miles better than what I was using despite the chick thing. I'm going to try to build a preset using the R-VH-13 V1 preset since the v2 seems to max out on the hat open at pretty small gap.

Comment

Strange with my Roland vh11, vh11v2 regular chick sound is not a problem, there is even the sound articulation for that assigned.Make sure your top hihat gap with the 2 plate is proper set, no more than 1" gap, also the clutch setting looser or tighter can affect this, after you need to do the proper procedure from above, selecting preset is not enought.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 04-08-18, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                    Strange with my Roland vh11, vh11v2 regular chick sound is not a problem, there is even the sound articulation for that assigned.Make sure your top hihat gap with the 2 plate is proper set, no more than 1" gap, also the clutch setting looser or tighter can affect this, after you need to do the proper procedure from above, selecting preset is not enought.
                    With the VH-11 you don't have a bottom cymbal. WIth the ATV, when the top cymbal strikes the bottom cymbal the vibration in the top cymbal's piezo sends a bow strike to the module.
                    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

With the VH-11 you don't have a bottom cymbal. WIth the ATV, when the top cymbal strikes the bottom cymbal the vibration in the top cymbal's piezo sends a bow strike to the module.
                      Yep this the issue. I think I have it fairly minimized now. Might try adding some thin poron or something else to the bottom hat to reduce the impact from triggering the bow.

Comment

The DeNoise feature might help for the specific problem of unwanted top bow trigger noise on footchicks. I have used it in combination with the other settings when setting up my Hi Hat. From the manual:
                        Hat Move Denoise is a parameter that filters unwanted noise from the Hi-Hat stand or trigger pad. Higher
                        values may affect the actual top hi-hat pad signal, so it is recommended to use values from 0 to 10. The
                        lower value the better.
                        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

And the denoise algo stated from Sergey before to someone else will be updated on the next firmware release, it should be improved etc.
                          Last edited by Chris K; 04-08-18, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Froticidal View Post

Ah makes sense, another Roland special. I moved the open/close transition higher and also adjusted the tilt of the bottom hat a bit so that it's no longer parallel to the top hat and it seems to help (for some reason). These hats are still miles better than what I was using despite the chick thing. I'm going to try to build a preset using the R-VH-13 V1 preset since the v2 seems to max out on the hat open at pretty small gap.
                            There is an open/closed capture. I did mine manually and moved the middle sliders until it worked great. I don't have the bow triggering with foot on the ATV hi hat,as far as I can hear. I added a drum mute in the bottom cymbal and my bottom is angled with the hi hat tilter.

Comment

The best is close open capture, keep these setting for full open and extra tight value, and after move the middle fader, close\open border threshold, keep your foot pedal close and move until it works for close hihat sound and foot pedal chick. Also denoize can eliminates vibration.

Also rotating base controller can have effect on this, Roland hihat cymbal logo must be toward directions strait front if the stick.

PS: High threshold can affect lighter hit.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 04-09-18, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X