Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

ATV aD H-14 HiHat setup w mimic pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

During "close/open capture" - you don't need to press the hihat to death =) This steps is intended for capturing of you real life open to close hihat range. I mean module should know where is your particular hihat/stand/foot tight close position to select proper samples for that.
    Thus if you press it unrealistically hard - then you'll get unrealistical response, because you would never press the pedal so hard in real life.

For the yellow line, it is useful to doubletap the slider and dial it with knob/left hand while playing various patterns with right hand at the very same time.

PS I'll start trying out a few things about custom ATV trigger preset in a few days, so it would be nice if you could test it later maybe if you wish.
    Yeah, I was never really happy with setting the closed setting, because there were always various soft end points I would hit before reaching a final hard end point where pedal travel stopped completely. I played around with various pressures but ultimately found it more precise to do manually while listening to the sounds produced. I know a lot of people have closed settings around 200-300, which I was trying to emulate, but I finally landed a little over 500, I think. But it works. Not sure what would account for the discrepancy, but obviously there are many different hi-hat stands out there, with many different tension settings, so that’s a pretty big set of variables. And even acoustic hi-hat set up is highly subject to personal preference, so maybe my set up or playing style is outside the norm. In any case, I bet from a software engineering perspective, the hi-hat is the most complex and dynamic triggers to work with.

anyway, I’d be happy to test any presets you come up with!
    Last edited by MJB; 12-03-19, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MJB View Post
      . Not sure what would account for the discrepancy, but obviously there are many different hi-hat stands out there, with many different tension settings, so that’s a pretty big set of variables. And even acoustic hi-hat set up is highly subject to personal preference, so maybe my set up or playing style is outside the norm. In any case, I bet from a software engineering perspective, the hi-hat is the most complex and dynamic triggers to work with.
      Exactly! as soon as you try to implement some precision sound control for hihat - all these variables are making things very complicated.

Comment

You guys still talking about this combo? Just buy a VH-13 already, and thank me later.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          You guys still talking about this combo? Just buy a VH-13 already, and thank me later.
          I spent a week recently going back and forth with the VH13 and ATV hat. Foot splashes are easier on the VH13 but I prefered the ATV for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
            Believe me, I thought about it! But at almost $800 it was hard to take the plunge without trying it out first. And the 12" diameter was enough to tip me toward the ATV. I would still love to try out the Roland, though. Maybe someday I'll look for one used or something.

Comment

So what you're saying is; we need a VH-14!
              ◾Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾MegaDRUM ◾Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Table

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                So what you're saying is; we need a VH-14!
                for $1200 +
                =))))

Comment

for $1200 +
                  =))))
                  Exactly - and only compatible with the TD50.
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
                    and only compatible with the TD50.
                    BTW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ns-A7OaeIg
                    and the comments especially interesting.

I though it's rock solid with td50
                    Last edited by Mr.Boo; 12-03-19, 03:38 PM.

Comment

While you await a custom ATV preset from Sergey, I would like to offer a suggestion for stopping the random bow sounds while playing chicks. During set up, when you are dialing in the close/open border (yellow line) you are presumably hitting the hats with your stick while moving the line up and down - that’s what we are supposed to do, anyway. I think this is better done as a two stage process -

1. Move the yellow line while playing foot chicks only. Don’t use a stick. You will find that the chicks only sound ‘perfect’ in a relatively narrow range of values. Too low, and it begins to slightly splash. Too high, and it begins to trigger a bow sound. You need to stay within that range where the chick sounds great.

2. Within that range, start to hit with sticks. Find the value that gives you the best of both worlds.

This works very well for me. When only using step 2, I find that I actually would have selected a value that is outside the range I describe in step 1 - a little high. Thus I get bow sounds.

Ideally the new custom preset will will cancel out unwanted bow sounds even if you use a ‘high’ yellow line value

Pearl Mimic Pro, Drum-Tec 7pc Pro Series kit, ATV 14" hats, 18" ride, 10" and 12" splashes, 14" and 16” crashes, 17” china

Comment

BTW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ns-A7OaeIg
                        and the comments especially interesting.

I though it's rock solid with td50
                        I had it with the TD50 for a while as well, and it did perform well, I just didn't end up loving the module.
                        Last edited by molson; 12-04-19, 07:20 AM.
                        Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Originally posted by jouxplan View Post
                          While you await a custom ATV preset from Sergey, I would like to offer a suggestion for stopping the random bow sounds while playing chicks. During set up, when you are dialing in the close/open border (yellow line) you are presumably hitting the hats with your stick while moving the line up and down - that’s what we are supposed to do, anyway. I think this is better done as a two stage process -

1. Move the yellow line while playing foot chicks only. Don’t use a stick. You will find that the chicks only sound ‘perfect’ in a relatively narrow range of values. Too low, and it begins to slightly splash. Too high, and it begins to trigger a bow sound. You need to stay within that range where the chick sounds great.

2. Within that range, start to hit with sticks. Find the value that gives you the best of both worlds.

This works very well for me. When only using step 2, I find that I actually would have selected a value that is outside the range I describe in step 1 - a little high. Thus I get bow sounds.

Ideally the new custom preset will will cancel out unwanted bow sounds even if you use a ‘high’ yellow line value
                          I was excited to try this, because it seems like it should work, and is an easily repeatable systematic method but...not so much. For one thing, I'm just NOT digging most of the chick sounds. They just don't sound right. Or rather, they don't sound consistently right. I feel like there are all sort of weird sounds introduced. I just want a steady, even chick-chick-chick-chick shaker sound. Instead I get chick-whoosh-whoosh-chick-bark sound. It's like some of the chicks sound really clean, and some have this sort of...rubbing sound. I don't know how else to describe it. And then every bar or two, the hats will bark like I hit 'em with a stick.

The thing is, the more I do this and listen closely to every hit, the more I'm like, I just don't even like the sound of the samples themselves sometimes. I also feel like no matter how wide apart the hats are, they always make a slight sizzly sparkly sound like they're barely touching, and I just can't get a cleaner sound, if that makes sense.

I don't know, it's really hard to describe it with words. I'm sure I'm just going a little nuts from listening so intently to these sounds over and over and over again, trying to get something that sounds as natural as possible...but I'm seriously considering ordering an aD5 just to try it out, since everyone says the cymbals sounds so good. I really sort of wish I had jumped on one oof the Black Friday sales.

Also, isn't this ATV hi-hat supposed to choke? Not that that is terribly useful, but it doesn't choke at all, like the other cymbals do, which makes me wonder a little...
                          Last edited by MJB; 12-04-19, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Also, isn't this ATV hi-hat supposed to choke? Not that that is terribly useful, but it doesn't choke at all, like the other cymbals do, which makes me wonder a little...
                            Interesting...if I plug the ATV hi-hat into a crash input, the choke function works perfectly - so it's not a hardware issue. Does the Mimic not support hi-hat choke or something?

Comment

I feel like I'm 90% there. I can play with trigger settings and technique to get a more consistent sound, but no matter what I do I can't get rid of the occasional inadvertent bow triggering when playing fast chicks. Sorry to be such a PITA...for some reason this one thing is a particularly steep learning curve for me, lol.

Comment

I was excited to try this, because it seems like it should work, and is an easily repeatable systematic method but...not so much. For one thing, I'm just NOT digging most of the chick sounds. They just don't sound right. Or rather, they don't sound consistently right. I feel like there are all sort of weird sounds introduced. I just want a steady, even chick-chick-chick-chick shaker sound. Instead I get chick-whoosh-whoosh-chick-bark sound. It's like some of the chicks sound really clean, and some have this sort of...rubbing sound. I don't know how else to describe it. And then every bar or two, the hats will bark like I hit 'em with a stick.

The thing is, the more I do this and listen closely to every hit, the more I'm like, I just don't even like the sound of the samples themselves sometimes. I also feel like no matter how wide apart the hats are, they always make a slight sizzly sparkly sound like they're barely touching, and I just can't get a cleaner sound, if that makes sense.

I don't know, it's really hard to describe it with words. I'm sure I'm just going a little nuts from listening so intently to these sounds over and over and over again, trying to get something that sounds as natural as possible...but I'm seriously considering ordering an aD5 just to try it out, since everyone says the cymbals sounds so good. I really sort of wish I had jumped on one oof the Black Friday sales.

The choke function is not available on mimicpro hihat setup, but if you take the top hihat cymbal and plug it in a crash input, you will get the choke function.
                                the tophihat is actually just an ordinary 14" crash cymbals, so if you have an 16" ATV crash cymbal you could actually just use that as tophihat as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X