Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

ATV aD H-14 HiHat setup w mimic pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure your hihat plate is not more open then 1" to 1.1\4 inch, loose the clutch completely like the photo, after you need to redo close capture position wizard

-leave full open pedal position click store
    -after close slowly to extra tight, press hardest to extra tight, click store
    (gap value should be like 900 full open, extra tight value near 240-450)

Now on hihat close/open border threshold (second fader), set your hihat to close position, hit the hihat on bow, increase value until the hihat sound close sound, not 1/4 sound open at close position.

Occasional bark/foot splash sound when playing an 8th note chick pattern that is vibration triggering to the top hihat plate, usually proper hihat gap plate position can fix it, also type the hihat stand, maybe the pearl base would help.
    Last edited by Chris K; 11-30-19, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MJB View Post
      I'm about to give up with this thing!

I've read everything I can find online about setting up an ATV hi-hat woth the Mimic, as well as everything in Pearl's manual. The process seems simple enough, but I'm just not getting good results. There is very little hi-hat "sizzle" with a loose foot. The sound seems to go abruptly from choked hats top fully open. Barking hats is inconsistent at best. Foot chicks as well. In fact, there is very little about it that sounds good at all. Certainly not the expressive, realistic instrument I was expecting, based on reviews.

Another thing is that ALL the cymbals sound way too loud relative to the drums at default levels. Pretty easy fix, but a little annoying nonetheless. [EDIT - actually, noe my ride seems really quiet and non-responsive, even though gain is maxed out at 17?]

Anyone have any tips? I've tried both v1 and v2 of the VH-11 and VH-13 presets. I downloaded ChrisK's ATV cymbal presets, but can't get them to save to the module, for some reason. Although TBH, I doubt the presets alone would make a huge difference.
      Have faith it is you and not the equipment that isn't quite getting things right. Unless you got a genuine clunker from the shop which with ATV is highly unlikely. I have the ATV 14' optical high hats with the Mimic and for everything you say is wrong I can only praise it for it's exquisite performance. I heard the rubber cup is on it's way, good move. Obviously there is more going on here. 90% of everything I know re: Mimic I get from Chris K or Sergey or Alan. So I can provide you with screenshots of what's working for me. It should be flawless with unbelievably quick open pops, slow and even opening and closing, bow hits and edge hits and chicks. The rubber cup will help with chicks. The only thing I noticed is that with chicks if I don't keep my foot high up, properly on the pedal and not too far right or left. if I get sloppy with HH foot placement I get the odd click, or what sounds to me like a hard bow hit instead of a chick.

a.jpegb.jpegc.jpeg 4.jpeg6.jpeg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Howstamychi; 12-01-19, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

Have faith it is you and not the equipment that isn't quite getting things right. Unless you got a genuine clunker from the shop which with ATV is highly unlikely. I have the ATV 14' optical high hats with the Mimic and for everything you say is wrong I can only praise it for it's exquisite performance. I heard the rubber cup is on it's way, good move. Obviously there is more going on here. 90% of everything I know re: Mimic I get from Chris K or Sergey or Alan. So I can provide you with screenshots of what's working for me. It should be flawless with unbelievably quick open pops, slow and even opening and closing, bow hits and edge hits and chicks. The rubber cup will help with chicks. The only thing I noticed is that with chicks if I don't keep my foot high up, properly on the pedal and not too far right or left. if I get sloppy with HH foot placement I get the odd click, or what sounds to me like a hard bow hit instead of a chick.

a.jpegb.jpegc.jpeg
        Believe me, I would very much like the problem to be me and not the equipment! Right now I'm pretty frustrated, though, because I think I'm generally pretty smart, and I have in fact read all the instructions as well as numerous forum and Facebook posts. More than that, I believe I actually understand the instructions - but the gear is not responding as I expect. Frustrating especially since I have what is generally regarded to be the dest drum module on the market paired with the 1st or 2nd best electronic hi-hat (depending on who you ask) - yet I feel like I had better performance with the VH-10 on my old TD-17KVX - it just worked. And I just watched a video of someone setting up an ATV hi-hat on an aD5, and again, it just worked. Nice chick, effortless foot splash, and to my ear much better sounding in general.

Anyway, as I said, the ribber cup is ordered - I'm not sure how or why that would make a big difference, but I've seen it suggested several times in several places, and it's <$4, so kind of a no brainer.

Thanks for providing your settings, I'll see if they're any help to me. Curous how you ended up with a "extra tight closed" valued of 419, though? Do you have a piece of foam or something between the hats?

Comment

Can you post your setting or tell us you extra tight value and full open value? if your value extra tight close\ full open are all high close together, it's bad it won't works, (we don't know your setting extra tight\ full open), extra tight can goes down as 10- 200 with atv, with my vh11 it goes to 8, it's all depend, It took 10 min to setup my hihat with my vh11.

The atv can be tricky if not setup correctly, also there is at the bottom the white reflector, should by tight that don't move (from left to right direction see image)

Image1.jpg
          Last edited by Chris K; 12-01-19, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Ok, so I put the bottom hat back on. Made asure the clutch was loose, but tight enough for the white disc to be snug against the inside. Current settings are as follows:

Threshold: 12
            Gain: 10
            Top Bow Velocity: 652
            Top Edge Velocity: 985
            Full Open: 937
            Close/Open Border Threshold: 521
            Extra Tight Closed: 343
            Footsplash Sensitivity: 46
            Close to Open Transition Sensitivity: 30
            Hat Move Denoise: 2

So, so good mostly. Generally pretty playable. Quarter note chicks, no problem. Eighth note chicks only very occasionally with inappropriate splash/bark sound. Still unable to get a normal footsplash at will.

Comment

Forgot to say, set your hihat pedal tension to tight.

Close to Open Transition Sensitivity: 30 that is high, it's for slower player, also it can add unwanted sound "open sound" when close and opening faster speed, I would set it at 10. 5-10 for faster speed, 25-above slower.

The inappropriate splash/bark sound hat is the top plate hihat triggering on pedal movement, try threshold 14-15, but might make lower velocity not triggering.

Comment

MJB Could you please do the following:

- install both top and bottom hihat cymbals as designed by manufacturer
                - unlock the hihat top cymbal clamp, so that the top cymbal would move up and down freely
                - let the top cymbal laying freely on the bottom one

- select vh12v2 preset for your hihat

- go to HatControl tab in hihat trigger settings
                - align the yellow line with the top of the meter ( white bar) - so that we could clearly see the numerical reading of the open-close meter
                - make a photo of HatControl tab and post it here.

Thanks!

I'll compare it to other customer readings, and hopefully it would show if your hihat is same or not.

Comment

Ok, so I put the bottom hat back on. Made asure the clutch was loose, but tight enough for the white disc to be snug against the inside. Current settings are as follows:

Threshold: 12
                  Gain: 10
                  Top Bow Velocity: 652
                  Top Edge Velocity: 985
                  Full Open: 937
                  Close/Open Border Threshold: 521
                  Extra Tight Closed: 343
                  Footsplash Sensitivity: 46
                  Hat Move Denoise: 2

So, so good mostly. Generally pretty playable. Quarter note chicks, no problem. Eighth note chicks only very occasionally with inappropriate splash/bark sound. Still unable to get a normal footsplash at will.
                  is way to high, i use lowest possible setting there (5), otherwise i get an unwanted sound.

Comment

Originally posted by superfish View Post

is way to high, i use lowest possible setting there (5), otherwise i get an unwanted sound.
                    Thanks, I’ll try that setting. TBH, that is one of the parameters I understand the least (well, other than Footsplash Sensitivity, which doesn’t seem to do anything at ANY value?).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                      MJB Could you please do the following:

- install both top and bottom hihat cymbals as designed by manufacturer
                      - unlock the hihat top cymbal clamp, so that the top cymbal would move up and down freely
                      - let the top cymbal laying freely on the bottom one

- select vh12v2 preset for your hihat

- go to HatControl tab in hihat trigger settings
                      - align the yellow line with the top of the meter ( white bar) - so that we could clearly see the numerical reading of the open-close meter
                      - make a photo of HatControl tab and post it here.

Thanks!

I'll compare it to other customer readings, and hopefully it would show if your hihat is same or not.

Thanks for the response. See pic below:

2FFF1248-66B1-450B-A945-A9DD73B09CC9.jpeg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the response. See pic below:

2FFF1248-66B1-450B-A945-A9DD73B09CC9.jpeg
                        Thank you!
                        Please make 100% sure that both hihat cables are TRS (stereo), and you has two (top and bottom) hihat cymbals installed, and both cables are fully inserted into mimic and hihat

Comment

Thank you!
                          Please make 100% sure that both hihat cables are TRS (stereo), and you has two (top and bottom) hihat cymbals installed, and both cables are fully inserted into mimic and hihat
                          I'm using these cables from drum-tec: https://www.drum-tec.com/transparent...pro-1-5-meters

I didn't see TRS explicitly mentioned on the site (or the packaging, for that matter) but it looks to have the proper number of rings.

I refit the bottom cymbal and have checked the cables (and the power switch on the hi-hat, which I forgot about once, lol).

Comment

I'm using these cables from drum-tec: https://www.drum-tec.com/transparent...pro-1-5-meters

I didn't see TRS explicitly mentioned on the site (or the packaging, for that matter) but it looks to have the proper number of rings.

I refit the bottom cymbal and have checked the cables (and the power switch on the hi-hat, which I forgot about once, lol).
                            thanks.
                            Well...all I can say now is that I'll try to contact ATV and see if they could provide some info about their hihat controllers.
                            Unfortunately it will take time so I can't provide any estimates or give any promises.
                            But I'll try to figure out how to improve the ATV / mimic combo.

Comment

thanks.
                              Well...all I can say now is that I'll try to contact ATV and see if they could provide some info about their hihat controllers.
                              Unfortunately it will take time so I can't provide any estimates or give any promises.
                              But I'll try to figure out how to improve the ATV / mimic combo.
                              Thanks for the support. Hopefully it's just me and it's an easy fix, but it does sound like the lack of foot splash at least is a problem with a lot of other users.

Comment

Man, I am about done with this thing. This shouldn't be so complicated to set up. Not reassuring is the fact that the FB group seems to be full of people having problems getting the ATV aD-H14 hi-hats to work with the Mimic. There are all kinds of microadjustments people are making and talking about, from how loose the clutch is, to what size of felt to use, to ideal pedal tension, etc. It's madness. I feel like most of it is speculative witchcraft. Some people seem to be getting their hats to work to an acceptable level, but are sacrificing things like a usable foot splash.

But I've decided that I will not accept a sub-par solution, not at $2199 for this module and $499 for the hats. For that money, this combination should be flawless, IMO, and it's unfortunately not even close. It's making my whole kit basically unplayable, because I never know what sound exactly I'm going to get out of the hats.

Looking at a couple of options:

(1) Trade in the aD-H14 for a VH-10. I've used the VH-10 before. I'm not crazy about the 12" size, but at least it's playable. But my personal experience trying to get hi-hats set up with the Mimic leaves me a little spooked (I recall that I did very briefly try Stealth hi-hat triggers on my L80 hats, but quickly gave up because the results were just not good). Hey, maybe it's me, because there are obviously videos of hi-hats working great with the Mimic, but like I said, the FB group reveals a pretty significant group of people having problems specifically with these hats on this module.

(2) What I'm leaning towards is running my cymbals through an ATV module (the xD3 is available separately from drum-tec for about $400). I figure the ATV cymbals will probably work best with one of their modules, and I'm not really crazy about the Mimic's cymbal sounds, especially the crashes. I find many of them to be a little jarring, to be honest. I'm not sure what sort of technical compromises are inherent in daisy-chaining modules. I'm not crazy about running 2 line outs into a single aux in port, I imagine I lose cymbal panning then? And what about effects? Will the Mimic apply reverb or anything to the aux in signal (assuming I'm running the ATV module into the Mimic)? Will the cymbals from one module sound weird with the drum sounds from another module?

I guess a third option is pick up an ATV aD5 and just use it for everything. I'm sure I could sell the Mimic without too much problem, but I sort of hate to do that because I like so many other things about it. But the supposed plug-and-play nature of the ATV is appealing to me. I want to spend my limited free time drumming, not troubleshooting electronics.
                                Last edited by MJB; 12-01-19, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X