Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

ATV aD H-14 HiHat setup w mimic pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
    Strange with my Roland vh11, vh11v2 regular chick sound is not a problem, there is even the sound articulation for that assigned.Make sure your top hihat gap with the 2 plate is proper set, no more than 1" gap, also the clutch setting looser or tighter can affect this, after you need to do the proper procedure from above, selecting preset is not enought.
    agreed, i have a vh 13 and dont have the issue either, with bow sound on foot chick, sound totally natural
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

It's not the ATV that's the issue. Roland has a patent on muting the bow hit when you do a foot chick. So, when you do a foot chick and the upper cymbal strikes the lower cymbal, the piezo in the bow will send a signal for a bow hit to the module. The same is true for the ATV ad5. Again, it's a module issue that can't be fixed without violating the Roland patent. We just have to deal with it until the patent runs out.
      Thanks for this. I have the ad5 and love the ATV hi hat but have always wondered why my foot chick was so loud.
      Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

It's not the ATV that's the issue. Roland has a patent on muting the bow hit when you do a foot chick. So, when you do a foot chick and the upper cymbal strikes the lower cymbal, the piezo in the bow will send a signal for a bow hit to the module. The same is true for the ATV ad5. Again, it's a module issue that can't be fixed without violating the Roland patent. We just have to deal with it until the patent runs out.
        That's why the best setting for me was the VH-11 V2 preset with the ATV 14" Hi-Hat, the VH-13 V2 was just too hot and hard to cool down without losing sensitivity and ghost notes. Since the bottom plate of the atv hat is just a dummy plate with the optical sensor, it was easier for me to fool the module using the vh-11 v2 preset.

Comment

I'm about to give up with this thing!

I've read everything I can find online about setting up an ATV hi-hat woth the Mimic, as well as everything in Pearl's manual. The process seems simple enough, but I'm just not getting good results. There is very little hi-hat "sizzle" with a loose foot. The sound seems to go abruptly from choked hats top fully open. Barking hats is inconsistent at best. Foot chicks as well. In fact, there is very little about it that sounds good at all. Certainly not the expressive, realistic instrument I was expecting, based on reviews.

Another thing is that ALL the cymbals sound way too loud relative to the drums at default levels. Pretty easy fix, but a little annoying nonetheless. [EDIT - actually, noe my ride seems really quiet and non-responsive, even though gain is maxed out at 17?]

Anyone have any tips? I've tried both v1 and v2 of the VH-11 and VH-13 presets. I downloaded ChrisK's ATV cymbal presets, but can't get them to save to the module, for some reason. Although TBH, I doubt the presets alone would make a huge difference.
          Last edited by MJB; 11-30-19, 06:32 PM.

Comment

there were reports that some ad14 hihats were working not so good.
            Some people were very happy with ATV hats, some over people were struggling like you and only got happy with roland hihat

Correctly working ATV/roland hihat takes no more than a minute to setup (if you read the manual of course)

As for cymbals levels and rides - there are drumtec videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ5lXIEsEIY
            These are default factory kits with no any processing and these sounds good to me.

In your case it may be bad pad setup (you forgot to run "capture top velocity" for each pad zone), or may be you just rised the overheads slider too much

I'd propose you to join mimic users FB group, so you could get more input from more users and easily post some settings photos etc.
            Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-30-19, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
              I'd propose you to join mimic users FB group, so you could get more input from more users and easily post some settings photos etc.
              I see two groups - one public, one private. Both with around 600 members. Which one do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by MJB View Post
                I'm about to give up with this thing!

I've read everything I can find online about setting up an ATV hi-hat woth the Mimic, as well as everything in Pearl's manual. The process seems simple enough, but I'm just not getting good results. There is very little hi-hat "sizzle" with a loose foot. The sound seems to go abruptly from choked hats top fully open. Barking hats is inconsistent at best. Foot chicks as well. In fact, there is very little about it that sounds good at all. Certainly not the expressive, realistic instrument I was expecting, based on reviews.

Another thing is that ALL the cymbals sound way too loud relative to the drums at default levels. Pretty easy fix, but a little annoying nonetheless. [EDIT - actually, noe my ride seems really quiet and non-responsive, even though gain is maxed out at 17?]

Anyone have any tips? I've tried both v1 and v2 of the VH-11 and VH-13 presets. I downloaded ChrisK's ATV cymbal presets, but can't get them to save to the module, for some reason. Although TBH, I doubt the presets alone would make a huge difference.
                What hi hat stand are you using. It can make a HUGE difference in achieving smooth partial open, open/closed etc. articulations. I had a Gibraltar stand, and it was a very good stand for acoustic hats. I wasn't satisfied with it for my Mimic or my ATV hats. I switched to an Iron Cobra Leverglide and WOW - what a HUGE difference. Before you give up, I'd recommend that hi hat stand.

JP
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

What hi hat stand are you using. It can make a HUGE difference in achieving smooth partial open, open/closed etc. articulations. I had a Gibraltar stand, and it was a very good stand for acoustic hats. I wasn't satisfied with it for my Mimic or my ATV hats. I switched to an Iron Cobra Leverglide and WOW - what a HUGE difference. Before you give up, I'd recommend that hi hat stand.

JP
                  I'm using a DW 5500D.

I see in your sig that your using an aD5 AND a Mimic? Are you using both at once? Or is the aD5 an older module? In your opinion do the ATV cymbals perform any better with the aD5?

Comment

join the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/pearlmimicpro/

Plenty of people are using ATV with no problem, there is plenty of video people using atv. Loud cymbal, never heard this yet on default kit, same as not responsive ride, unless it's defect one.

posting triggers screenshots show all things pretty quick if bad calibration, for top velocity, input gain, and hihat setting.

Your atv hihat power adaptor connect to the wall, switch power to on, blue light should appears, do not connect bell input, only bow to hihat, and controller to cont input in mimic. You need to use proper TRS cable, and not newmark brand one some cable don't works well, set your hihat full loose clutch position, and calibrate capture close\open position , use vh11v2, input gain 12, capture top velocity bow and edge 5 hard time, atv hihat is optical are sensible at bottom on close pressure, it require solid base, people are using thisPearl NP-208 and remove the felt for better result, felt do alter close open from the optical controller, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Rubbe...QAAOSwePpdnhbt

1.png
                    Last edited by Chris K; 11-30-19, 09:12 PM.

Comment

join the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/pearlmimicpro/

Plenty of people are using ATV with no problem, there is plenty of video people using atv. Loud cymbal, never heard this yet on default kit, same as not responsive ride, unless it's defect one.

posting triggers screenshots show all things pretty quick, for top velocity, input gain, and hihat setting.

Your atv hihat power adaptor connect to the wall, switch power to on, blue light should appears, do not connect bell input, only bow to hihat, and controller to cont input in mimic. You need to use proper TRS cable, and not newmark brand one some cable don't works well, set yoru hihat full loose clutch position, and calibrate capture close\open position , use vh11v2, atv hihat is optical are sensible at bottom on close pressure, it require solid base, people are using this below and remove the felt for better result, felt to alter close open, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Rubbe...QAAOSwePpdnhbt

1.png
                      Chris, thanks for the link. I did see someone else mention the Pearl cup adapter, and I already have one on order. I did also remove the bottom "dummy" cymbal to reduce the acoustic noise and have dialed in settings to be a little better, but am still having problems (for example, if I play an 8th note chick pattern, I will invariably get a bark once every bar or two, even though I'm only playing with my foot). Anyway, I'll keep messing with it, and also join that FB group and see what else there is to learn.

The ride was only playing sort of sluggishly on one kit, not sure what that was all about but it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Comment

Do you have firmware v1.0.9.2 installed? see at Setting\sys

Comment

Do you have firmware v1.0.9.2 installed? see at Setting\sys
                          1.0.9, the one released in September. There's a x.x.x.2? I checked the Mimic site earlier today and didn't see anything more recent.

Comment

1.0.9, the one released in September. There's a x.x.x.2? I checked the Mimic site earlier today and didn't see anything more recent.
                            ok it's the same, it just don't show up online the .2

Comment

if I play an 8th note chick pattern, I will invariably get a bark once every bar or two, even though I'm only playing with my foot). .
                              -Hihat setting, set denoize to 2, threshold to 12,

-Hihat settings tab "close to open transition sensitivity" set to 10 range

-Also do crosstalk suppression for bow and edge.

But without screenshots of your setting, it's all guessing, if the base calibration extra tight\ full open, is not properly done full open should be near 900, extra tight close near 200-450

Since your removed the bottom, I don't know what result can do as final.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 11-30-19, 10:06 PM.

Comment

-Hihat setting, set denoize to 2, threshold to 12,

-Hihat settings tab "close to open transition sensitivity" set to 10 range

-Also do crosstalk suppression for bow and edge.

But without screenshots of your setting, it's all guessing, if the base calibration extra tight\ full open, is not properly done full open should be near 900, extra tight close near 200-450

Since your removed the bottom, I don't know what result can do as final.
                                Thanks.

I've gotten it to bark more reliably. I think it helped to loosen the clutch a little bit. I still can't get a chick sound that I'm in love with, and no matter what I do I can't eliminate the occasional bark/foot splash sound when playing an 8th note chick pattern - I tried crosstalk suppression, but it looks like it only works between pads (i.e., not between zones on the same pad). And I can't tigger a foot splash on demand for the life of me.

Comment

Working...
                                X