Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Adding expansion Card to TD-20 using TDW-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding expansion Card to TD-20 using TDW-20

Has anyone added an expansion card to their TD 20? My update went very easy. But from watching all the information on the TD 20X It show you have 50 Presets U1-U50 and 50 User location called U!-U50. When I did the expansion I don't have that. I have 50 slots with the Presets from the 20X and 49 Presets from the old TD 20 and 1 slot that says User. I have never use most of the kits from my old TD-10 and I don't expect to from my new TD-20X. Mostly I pick a set I like and save it. So was just wondering what other experienced after adding the expansion card

kit numbers went up from 50 to 100 ?.. as i recall.. and you can edit all of them.. not just user kit.. there are enough kits that won't be your taste and
    then overwrite them with any copied kit.. ..and then edit your own sounds.. (well, that's what i did..)
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

The expansion board adds new sounds/instruments that that allow greater editing than the basic TD-20 sounds. Both instrument lists are available to use in whatever manner you wish. Of the approximately 1000 total sounds, the first 500 (approximately) are native to the original TD-20 and the rest are included in the expansion board firmware. With those lower numbered sounds you'll notice that not all the edit features are available.

I don't use many of the kits, but having a lot to listen to and pick and chose from is mostly what the 100 kits provides. I have the complete VEX package for the TD-20X and used that to pick out sounds I liked and eventually tailored a few to meet my needs (kits are way better than the stock Roland configurations).

The larger sound library (I use sounds from both the 20 and 20X) and more editing options for the 20X sound library are what you get with the expansion.

The set-up info on the post by Tommy D that you responded to is well worth following, at least as a starting point. I saved it as a pdf and printed out for reference long ago.
      Last edited by hank; 03-02-18, 08:16 PM.
      TD-20X & TMC-6
      Hart Pro Snare TE3.2, 2 @ KT-10, 5 @ PDX-100, 2 @ CY-15, 2 @ CY-14, 4 @ CY-12, VH-12, 4 @ BT-1, TD-20X VEX packs
      DW9500TB HH, MDS-12X rack hardware & mounts with longer tubes and added bracing.

Comment

I added the card about 2 years ago and what you describe sounds about right
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Hank, What is the VEX package? Where do you get it? Thanks for you replay.

Comment

VEX configures the sounds available within the modules by carefully editing the parameters. Both VEX and Roland use the same sounds and editing built into the module, but the VEX team configures kits that sound better (see the conversations in the thread below). You can do exactly the same thing with a lot of experimentation, but many of us are very happy to have someone else that did that work. Now, like the 100 kits native to the Roland module, I have no use for more than a handful. If I had an A-kit I would be playing the same kit all the time. So, I picked a handful of the VEX kits I liked best and did some cymbal switches and a bit of my own drum shell/head tweeking and have what works fine for me. Check out the threads on this forum

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...ns-custom-kits

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com
            TD-20X & TMC-6
            Hart Pro Snare TE3.2, 2 @ KT-10, 5 @ PDX-100, 2 @ CY-15, 2 @ CY-14, 4 @ CY-12, VH-12, 4 @ BT-1, TD-20X VEX packs
            DW9500TB HH, MDS-12X rack hardware & mounts with longer tubes and added bracing.

Comment

Do they sell kits for the TD-20X?

Comment

Never mind answered my own question. Now I have to figure if I order kits for the 20 or 20x since my module seems to be both

Comment

20X kits take fuller advantage of the expanded module the added instruments and broader editing options. Even so, I believe some of the 20X packs use instruments from the 20, but they still do a better job tweeting than Roland's stock kits. You can listen to samples on the VEX web site. Also, check the manuals on the VEX page for info on how to install them. The memory card the TD-20 uses is basically obsolete (in the world of memory cards) but is still available. I bought one on eBay. I also had to get a USB plug-in card reader for the computer. Some printers do have card slots built in.
                  TD-20X & TMC-6

Comment

Hey all... I am keen to get my hands on the TDW-20 expansion card... Does anyone know how or where one would be available?

Comment

Working...
                    X