mesh head repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesh head repair

Does anyone have advice on how to repair a 1" cut in a mesh head? It's only the top layer of 2 total layers. I was considering using an epoxy but I don't know what would be a good choice. I would rather not buy a new one if I can avoid it.
    Last edited by joelHFX; Yesterday, 11:08 AM.

The rip in my mesh head was getting visibly worse as I was playing it so I've taken action by applying some Flex 310M adhesive. I will update this thread to show how well this works. See the photos.

Comment

How did you manage to rip it. I've never damaged one myself so just interested.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

I don't know for sure. It is surprising since I've been hitting these really hard for years. It may have been when I used a stick that had a busted tip one night. It didn't show any damage that night at all but a few days later it started to unravel when I was playing.

Comment

Sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet and replace things.

Comment

Originally posted by Macarina View Post
            Sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet and replace things.
            Maybe so, but I'm not going without a fight. This last stitch didn't hold very long because the strands simply cut through the adhesive half way through a song. It seems to need something more solid with less elasticity so now I'm trying a different adhesive. DP460 is what I've used in the image below. I will test this tomorrow morning but I suspect it may not hold. The only other thing I can imagine is a tire patch on the top and bottom of the head with a strong adhesive joining them to each other.

Comment

What about a bit of gaffer tape?
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

i dont blame you for trying to come up with a patch up for your mesh head. I , like Macarina, would probably go for a new head, but its not my drum or money. What about a piece of some other kind of plastic or fabric. woven kind of mesh screening material with a little bit of sprayed adhesive, I would spray the adhesive into the top of the adhesive can and apply it to both surfaces with a small artists paint brush,

Comment

How many mesh pads do you have?
                  Change places with a less used pad like tom 4.
                  If you spend in the $thousands for a kit, why not spring $50 for a new head?
                  Just sayin.
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Get 43T or similar silkscreen printing mesh, cut out a circle slightly larger than the head and just lay it on top. The pressure of the hoop will keep it in place and tighten it without the need for adhesives, or you can always glue it in a few places around the hoop (of the mesh head).
                    Last edited by ignotus; 11-16-17, 02:11 AM.
                    MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. kit pics thread

Comment

So it seems the DP460 adhesive is a good solution. The idea here was to have the adhesive glue both the outer and also the inner portions of the rip. Attaching it to the intact bottom layer of the 2 ply mesh head. To achieve this I had to apply on both the top and bottom portion as shown in the image. It's holding very well and the snare plays well. For me, buying a new head for $60 to $80 is a little steep given how easy this was. I'd rather spend money elsewhere. I hope this helps others deal rips in mesh heads who wish to save their money for other purchases. However, I don't think you could do this as easily with a 1 ply head.

I tried Gaffer Tape and that came off pretty fast. I like the idea of using the mesh fabric as a patch in conjunction with adhesive but it seems this may not be necessary. It would arguably make a smoother looking patch job.
                      Last edited by joelHFX; 11-16-17, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Now you can name your kit Frankenstein....

just messing with ya.
                        Good info to know.

Comment

Glad you found a solution!

Comment

You could replace it with some fly screen - see youtube for video's on how to do it. Did it myself with some leftovers, costs amost nothing and works like a charm!

Stijn
                            'lectric drumma
                            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

The fix lasted all weekend and the adhesive just shattered this morning during practice. Given these results, I no longer believe adhesive will hold over time under any circumstance. I'm buying another drum head.

Comment

Working...
                              X