Run TD9 through TD30?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run TD9 through TD30?

I've searched and cannot find anything that specifically answers my question.

My TD30 is wired to all of my vdrum pads.

Is it possible to connect my TD9 module to my TD30 and then be able to trigger the TD9 sounds that I choose for a specific kit?

TD30 MIDI OUT --> TD9 MIDI IN.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
      It would not be the other way around? Don't I want to send the sounds of the TD9 to the 30? How do I output the sounds from the TD9?
      (Sorry if I sound ignorant.)
      Will the TD9 instruments be readily available?
      When I set up a kit on the TD30, will I essentially have an expanded instrument list or do I have to navigate a bunch a menus in order to do that?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
      Last edited by Schlagzeuger; 09-12-17, 06:32 PM.

Comment

MIDI is not "sound". It's "instructions".
        You say the pads are connected to the TD30.
        So:
        Pad --> TD30 --> (internal trigger to MIDI interface in TD30) --> MIDI --> TD9 --> (internal tone generator/synth) --> Audio.

Next you will need to tell the TD30 what MIDI note to send when you his the pad, then tell the TD9 what sound to play when it receives that note.

Have a read of something I wrote ages ago (post #2)
        https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...42#post1125642
        DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

MIDI is not "sound". It's "instructions".
          You say the pads are connected to the TD30.
          So:
          Pad --> TD30 --> (internal trigger to MIDI interface in TD30) --> MIDI --> TD9 --> (internal tone generator/synth) --> Audio.

Next you will need to tell the TD30 what MIDI note to send when you his the pad, then tell the TD9 what sound to play when it receives that note.

Have a read of something I wrote ages ago (post #2)
          https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...42#post1125642
          I see. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I spend most of my time practicing instead of delving deep into the capabilities of my TD30.
          It's nice to have people like you on the forum to guide me.

Should I be concerned about latency with regards to the quality or length of the MIDI cable that I buy for the project?

Comment

Yup. Absolutely. This is exactly what I did when creating an expansion for the 9. Plug n' play.
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Schlagzeuger View Post
              Should I be concerned about latency with regards to the quality or length of the MIDI cable that I buy for the project?
              Nope. It's a data cable. But keep it below the 50 feet MIDI spec!

Comment

E.D. & Alan

This part here:

"Next you will need to tell the TD30 what MIDI note to send when you his the pad, then tell the TD9 what sound to play when it receives that note."

Will it be apparent to me what I need to do once I have the MIDI cable connecting the two modules?

I have been looking through the TD9 & TD30 menus and nothing is jumping out at me as to how I'll be doing that.

Comment

I didn't have to do any of that midi note assignment crap. I literally plugged the 30's midi out to the 9's midi in, moved my headphones to the 9, and played. Done. I'm not sure what you guys are getting into with all the additional technical stuff about midi note values. There is no need. If you're not getting a signal, check the midi I/O settings on both modules. The manuals explain how.
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                    I didn't have to do any of that midi note assignment crap. I literally plugged the 30's midi out to the 9's midi in, moved my headphones to the 9, and played. Done. I'm not sure what you guys are getting into with all the additional technical stuff about midi note values. There is no need. If you're not getting a signal, check the midi I/O settings on both modules. The manuals explain how.
                    So in that case, I would run my output cable from the TD9 to my mixer, not from the TD30?
                    And when I need to use a TD30 kit I have to switch the cable to the TD30 output port?

I'm in a band.

Comment

^ Correct.
                      Alan

Comment

Roger that.

My MIDI cable is on its way to me.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks! (electrodrummer included)

BTW - Alan, I looked at both modules and see why you probably didn't have to change any MIDI note assignment crap.
                        The notes for the 30 and 9 match - at least they did on mine.
                        Last edited by Schlagzeuger; 09-14-17, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X